1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

estimating a power supply...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Lurker, Aug 21, 2007.

1. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I'm wondering what kind of power supply-- preferably cheap but robust-- I'd need to support the following pedals:

Digitech BSW
    Little Big Muff
    Guyatone Fuzz
    DOD 250
    Marshall Guv'nor II
    Prunes & Custard
    Maxon AF-9
    Boss DD-3
    BassBalls
    MXR-90
    Boss TU-2
    Digitech bass squeeze
    Sansamp bassdriver

I don't use them all at once, with a max of up to 5 at any one time, sometimes none, but I'd like something a little more robust than the One-Spot I have now, and with a big margin for erring on the side of caution. I'm looking at the DC Brick, the Power Pad II, and the Gator G-bus. The Voodoo Labs thing looks too pricy for me. I don't need bells and whistles like simulated dying batteries or 18volt power.

Is this something a DC Brick could do, coupled with a few daisy chains, or would I need something heavier? Anything that could work as a surge suppressor would be good too.....

2. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Don't waste your time with the DC Brick, it is basically a daisy chain. It's no better than a 1spot with a daisy chain.

if you aren't having problems with the 1spot, don't replace it, if you aren't getting enough current, get another 1spot

1spots work great and I never have problems with them

if you are going to replace it, go the whole way and get something with isolated outputs, otherwise don't bother

3. Ed's right (hope you don't mind me calling you Ed, Ed?!) The DC brick would actually be a significant downgrade from a One spot in terms of current capacity.

Is the one spot causing you problems or are you just looking for something that feels a bit more sturdy?

Surge suppressors are one of the greatest consumer cons going, IMO - those and power conditioners! The biggest problem with electricity networks is not surges, it's the opposite - brown outs! A surge most often occurs during a lightning storm, and even then a surge suppressor is only partly capable of defending your equipment from such a violent event. I've seen surge protectors blown to smithereens along with the equipment they're supposed to protect.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

If you can't do the jump for a Voodoo Lab, you best luck will be the Godlyke Power-All.

5. Isn't that just like a One Spot?

6. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Notatall. ;)

I thought so.

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
  8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It's a completely different technology.
    It can draw up to 1.6 A and doesn't use a transformer, which means it adapts to any voltage (110,220, whatever) and frees you from 60 cycle hum and stuff.

9. Switch mode power supplies are ubiquitous these days.

10. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    hmmm. Some stuff to think about here.