1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Estle Louis basses from Gollihur Music.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by curbucci, Nov 21, 2010.

1. curbucci

curbucci

May 11, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Has anyone tried any of these new Estle Louis basses that Gollihur Music is now offering? Factory setup? I have read that Gollihur Music has a good reputation.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd call Gollihur and ask about them. Bob or Mark are straight shooters, and stand behind the products they sell. They have excellent customer service and won't sell you junk. Regarding those basses, I haven't heard anything about them yet, but they look solid.

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    +1. The Gollihurs are good guys. Where do you live? Can you go and play one?

4. curbucci

curbucci

May 11, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I am not able to play one for I live in Minneapolis. I am leaning towards buying a Shen SB80 here in the metro from All Stings Attached. I need to talk to other bassists in regards to how the shop is over there now. I am planning to still talk on the phone to Bob or Mark at Gollihur. I am skeptical on the factory setup of the Estle Louis basses. It dosen't sound right to me.

5. Keep in mind that even if you buy the Shen, it will still need a setup. Some places include a pro setup (I bought mine from Steve Swan and he includes a great setup), but if your dealer doesn't include it you should factor it in.

If that setup on the Estle Louis was being sold by anyone but Bob Gollihur, I would have doubts. But it being Bob, I would believe it. He even comes right out and tells you the Engelhardts he sells, including the custom Gollihur model, will all need a setup.

6. curbucci

curbucci

May 11, 2010
    Minneapolis
    The Shen SB80 would be $1650 with setup, bow & bag. I do not know what kind of work is presently coming out of their shop.

7. Difficult to compare prices with the bow in the deal, since a bow could cost more than $1650 by itself, or it could be a $70 fiberglass bow.

I know though that Steve Swan sells SB80s with a full setup and a decent quality bag for quite a bit less than $1650. So does Upton (but watch out for freight charges!).

8. curbucci

curbucci

May 11, 2010
    Minneapolis
    It is a fiberglass bow. I think the freight from Upton came to $320.
    I will still keep an eye out in my area for more laminate basses that I could try out. I do not plan to make a purchase until early 2011. This will be my first upright bass.

9. Upton quoted me $433 (-$50 credit) for shipping. I cancelled the order with them and bought locally. Got a much better deal, too.

10. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    All Strings has good reputation here, so you should be good with them.