Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ethernet cable help.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hateater, May 14, 2004.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Alright, after I reformatted, i god a driver for my com21 cable modem that let me connect with USB only. I need to have Ethernet connectivity so that our wireless internet-thingy can operate. Does anyone know what kind of driver I will need to install? Am I doing something wrong?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Connect from where to where with USB only? What is the "wireless internet-thingy" you refer to, a router?

-Mike

3. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I am connected through my usb cable right now. It goes from my cable modem to a usb port on my tower. The wireless internet thingy is a router, and I need to get a connection going to it through an ethernet cable. However, when i go to the properties of my computer and check out the hardware, there is a questionmark and a exclamation mark where it says ethernet. Also, I am on windows xp.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The ethernet cable will go into the router. The router comes after the cable modem. If your cable modem allows it, you can keep the same connection you have now. If not, you will need to connect your PC through the router.

-Mike

5. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I have everything connected the propper way... it just doesn't recieve any conenction from the cable. IT is a good cable, everythign just went ****ty after I reformatted.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    How do you have the router hooked up right now?

-Mike

7. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    From the main jack, I have the ethernet cable hooked up directly from my modem. On the secondary slot I have a regular telephone wire hooking that up to my computer tower. You know, I know that it is set up right, it worked just fine before. I just need to know where I can get the appropriate drivers.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Alright bro.......my bad. From your descriptions, it looked like you had it connected incorrectly.

The drivers you need should be on your XP disk, or on the install disk from the modem.

-Mike

9. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Ok, now its my bad! I forgot to mention that we lost the cable modem disk.