Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ethernet cable help...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hateater, May 18, 2004.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    OK, I have found the problem... now I REALLY need some help. I am getting no signal to my Linksys router, because after I reformatted my computer, the ethernet controller got uninstalled. My modem is a COM21 DP1110XB. Someone please direct me on how to re-install this stupid thing...

2. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Green/white, green, blue/white, orange, orange/white, blue, brown/white, brown

3. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Seriously though. What OS are you using? If you are using a relatively recent Microsloth OS then your hardware should be automagically detected and the appropriate drivers installed.

Failing that, do you have a CD of drivers that came with your machine?

4. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

I do, but none of them can help. I need to activate my ethernet CONTROLLER apparently. I was told that there is no ethernet driver. This sucks.

5. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    The ethernet DRIVER is merely software that enables your ethernet CONTROLLER to communicate with the rest of your system and carry out the function for which it was designed.

If the appropriate driver is installed then the controller will work unless there is a further problem with it or the system.

Try this: go to the Add/Remove Hardware section of your Control Panel and remove everything that could possible be an ethernet card. Then reboot your machine. Your card should then be detected and the Add New Hardware Wizard spawned. Follow the prompts and install the driver from the CD you have.