1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ethical quandary in re-selling gear

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bullitt5135, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Knowing me, I’d absolutely find a way to lose money on the deal.

pcake and Tigerpig like this.
  2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

^This.

Duder and Microbass like this.
  3. BassplayinBob

BassplayinBob

Jan 8, 2016
    Guitar center absolves you of all responsibility and is the cleanest way to handle it.

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

If the goal is to sidestep CL and EBay nonsense you might want to consider selling on TB. TB buyers are a lot better crowd to deal with than who you’ll be find most places because they know the score and also what they’re buying.

He could take out a supporting membership for $40 and list it here. Or just sell it to you and then you could then do the same. But that could involve shipping considerations which they (or you) might not want to get involved with.

Just a thought anyway.

5. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Yeah, this is why local sale is preferable. Most of this stuff is too heavy to ship for a reasonable price. I have feelers out to my bass-playing friends, and my buddy has already spoken to a local recording studio that he's friends with. We've been trying to put prices to a few things. I think he's got it under control.

Lots of good comments here. Thanks for the feedback.

Jeff Elkins likes this.
  6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Your welcome.

My condolences to your friend and his family. Good they have a friend like yourself to help them through their ordeal.

7. Well, I'm pretty sure "take a bath on it" means swimming in dough from the high prices you got for the gear. While taking the stuff to guitar center does cut the profit, it also makes the sale immediate. I'm sure the family doesnt want to sit on these items for months and months looking for someone in the area to come over and buy them from you. But, I'm also sure that they dont want to be ripped off either. Tough decisions to make.

Me, I'd take the gear to guitar center, and the 40% loss as a convenience fee. They pay you 60% of the selling value. That means that you get 60% of what they sell for on ebay.

8. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Why would you get involved with that? Let them sell to GC.

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    When they see how little GC will give, and don't want to go through the hassle of selling everything on line, they might be very happy with your offer.

10. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Because I cringe at the thought of somebody going to GC and essentially giving the stuff away at lowball prices. If I could help move the gear quickly and at a fair price -- without losing my own money in the process -- I might be willing to get involved. But you're right, sometimes it's better to just not get involved. It's all a moot point, as I've decided my involvement stops at pricing advice and connecting with potential buyers, if I'm asked.

tradernick likes this.
  11. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    Take it to go, have them price it , and then offer 20% more.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  12. Just pay the supporting fee and list it here for them. Hell, depending on the Ray 5, I might be interested.

13. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    $3,000 USD and it's yours. I'll even hand deliver it. ;)

14. tradernick

tradernick Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Absolutely +1.

However, issues can arise regardless of whether the OP has been honest or not. Mainly due to uninformed second cousins starting to ask questions.

OP, if you do this, you have to be 101% sure that they (anyone who could potentially ask you for details) understand the offer you're going to make in the context of what you (correctly) said about GC offers being maybe 25% of retail.

15. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    condolences to your friend and his friends family, this is always difficult to deal with. I would say that if the family is happy to move the gear to help with the healing process then make a reasonable offer and do what you will, no one is going to be upset if you make something out of it for your time and effort.
    They would get upset if you rip them off thought so it's a touchy situation and you need to be clear on your intentions.
    I've just lost a friend and his family decided to keep his gear in his memory, a reminder of who he was and what he did and that's also good. If they did ask me to move the gear I'm not sure how I would feel about that, it's kind of personal because I knew the guy and I don't think I'd be able to sell the gear knowing that it was special to him, I may buy it and keep it in his memory if it comes to that.

16. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    This went from “ I’m not gonna be part of it “ to “ bend over” rather quickly.

JoshS, instrumentalist and Microbass like this.
  17. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    God rest his soul.

18. Bobhmcs

Bobhmcs Gold Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    This can be a patch of very thin ice as not only are you dealing with the family that as you admitted are not very familiar with but with a friend also.
    First, I think you should be applauded for what you have done to this point graciously without thought of reward or expectation for a family you know very little of.
    When my 6 year old granddaughter passed 2 years ago, who I remember were those who provided what was needed unconditionally. That you have done and I feel you have earned your good karma that will follow.
    My short recommendation is to take the research and investigation you have already obtained, give it your friend and let him do with it what he will.
    I have done my fair share of high end resale and there is little if any real profit in it.
    Good luck and I sincerely hope the decision you make is the one you can live with.

Bob

instrumentalist likes this.
  19. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    If the family is OK with your offer, I see no problem. I would never suggest taking it to GC or any other business. They would be the ones that would take advantage of the family.

20. Allar Allas

Allar Allas

Oct 14, 2018
    Estonia
    Sounds perfectly okay - you're helping them to get better price for the gear and since you do the work, you need to get paid for doing it. Nobody should expect you to work for free.