Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Jul 12, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    How did you get your sense of ethics?

(Assuming you have one)... :D

I got mine, by making every mistake in the book.

To me, there's no other way, to "really" understand.

But, other people feel differently.

I keep hearing media drivel about censorship and so on, and that stuff kinda bothers me.

As far as I can tell, the quicker you make your mistakes, the faster you become a human being.

"Isolation" doesn't help, it just slows down the process.

What do you think?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I really think my Catholic Education helped form my awareness and understanding of lived ethics.
  3. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    i got it from injustice, and from Tool actually... tool gave me the basic "think for yourself/ question authority" moral, and from there i just went all out with philosophy. I'm going to take every ethics course i can in college.
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I think you and me would be good friends! That was exactly what I was going to post.
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Got mine from reading the 10 Commandments monument down at the local courthouse.

Before that I was completely without morality or ethics.
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  7. ironicly, i think that my christian upbringing and beliefs paired with public school enabled me to see the world as it is and have an ethical viewpoint of what is good and bad in that world

im not trying to insult your catholic schooling at all dont get me wrong, this is just the way it happened for me
  8. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I just think: What would the Leader of the Free World™ do?

Cos that guy's gotta be right....right?
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Laffy Taffy.

brad cook
  10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    They ripped em down, guess I'll have to go back to tool cds!
  11. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA

Not cool man! :p
  12. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
  13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Church, parents, school, meeting different people, hearing their stories, punk rock, poor decisions, mistakes, yard sales.

Here and there, basically.
  14. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Church, and dealing with people.
  15. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Ever try making a slip and slide out of garbage bags? Don't...unless you're a completist....
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The Bible certainly assisted me, but watching my parents as I grew up played the biggest role. I watched how my dad worked and took care of our family. I watched how my mom took care of the house and us. I watched how my parents reacted when they were treated unfairly, or kindly.

17. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Interesting thing about church, that. I made most of my mistakes "before" I started getting into religion (almost done with a PhD in comp rel now). Somehow I feel that this course of development gave me a broader perspective on the ethics thing, now. YMMV of course. Maybe (hopefully) y'all don't have to make the mistakes I did, to get some depth of understanding.
  18. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    My mother instilled good ethics in me by being a mother.
  19. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have changed a lot while I've been at university. Living with people doing philosophy, psychology and criminology, as well as with a girl whose father was murdered, has opened my mind a bit to ethics. I used to think the death penalty was great, and now am very doubtful of it.

So I'll say my friends and family. So I can see how people who grow up in unethical environments end up being unethical themselves.
  20. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Pretty much figured it out myself... it didn't take long to realize that being a jerk to people and running around doing nothing but serving yourself makes you a pretty lousy person.