1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Etiquette - OK for buyer to PM is someone else already has?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by user2048, Aug 8, 2012.

1. user2048

user2048

Mar 7, 2003
    Suppose I see something I want to buy in the classifieds. It's not sold already, and there's no post indicating that a sale is in progress. But there is a post from someone saying they've PM'd the seller, and no post saying a sale has fallen through. So - Would it be OK for me to PM the seller, and post a message saying I've done so?

On the one hand, I don't want to mess with someone else's attempt to purchase something. But on the other hand, the first PM'er may have decided he didn't actually want to buy.

What's the consensus? Thanks.

Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere. I couldn't find it.

2. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Most of the time the "PM'ed" posts mean that someone made a crappy offer. I hate when I'm trying to sell stuff and someone posts "PM'ed" unless they're going to buy it. Like you, others assume that a deal is in the works. PM the seller with your interest. No need to post that you PM'ed in the thread.

Good luck!