1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Etudes for bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AlphaMale, Oct 2, 2008.

1. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    I'm thinking about getting the Simandl or maybe a Suzuki Method book full of etudes. But those are for double bass, should I still get them if I want them for electric bass? If I get the simandl I would be killing two birds with one stone (I'll need it for double bass)

2. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
  3. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    hands down....simandl is awesome. period

4. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Do I think I will get it then, and I will look for Suzuki Method books on bass too.

5. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    I mostly want a book that has many exercises so I can develop my technique but still have something to play other than warm up exercises.

6. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I could be wrong about this, but I seem to recall that the Suzuki bass book has an large amount of Tenor Clef. DB players looking to perform with orchestras need to read Tenor clef well, but it doesn't come up with EB.

Check with www.bassbooks.com there are a lot good etude books there, and they generally ship quickly. There are quite a few different books with Bach's music and one that I really like is "77 Baroque Basslines". They are presented in progressive form (easy to difficult) in note, range, and key. Also check out the "Basic Electric Bass" series from UMMP (that's University of Miami Music Press). There's a 5 book series on different aspects of bass music and some other good books.

http://www.bassbooks.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=10

7. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    I hope those books arent' only small excerpts though.

8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    The second one you listed is a lot of excerpts of just the main melodic idea of each piece. So what, lots of good melodies and that's the building block of anything you do in music.... great melodies. They don't have to be Mozart, but connecting notes in an intelligent manner is the basis of all styles.

9. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    I dunno I'm kind of looking for stuff to perform in my applied music study class.