Etymotic ER-20 earplugs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jan 30, 2003.

1. I got a set of these today, and boy howdy they're sweet. They really preserve high frequencies, and they fit really tightly in your ears. The designer of these things is a genius.

I was listening to some McLusky today (very loud, trebly rock) and I could hear every detail. Then, I tried a Ralph Towner album, 1978's Batik with Miroslav Vitous and Jack DeJohnette, and every nuance of the bass and cymbals was preserved. You can't say that about Hearos!

At $10/pair, it's hard to lose. I strongly suggest everyone buy a pair or two of these.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hmm...most people just turn down the volume knob if their stereo is too loud. I never thought of just ordering some earplugs. I'll never have to fiddle with that darn knob again. ;)

Actually I've been wanting to check some of those out. I just got in-ear monitors this week though so it looks like I won't need them for playing with the band anymore. I guess they'd be good for concerts though.

brad cook
  3. If you need a pair of these, go see our man Mike Dimin. He is a dealer. Of earplugs! :D

I can second the recommendation. While you're at it, buy an extra pair for your drummer...
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999

I bought a pair from Mike last year. Prompt service and an e-mail from him confirming the order. I also got the chordal bass book as well. Yes I'm spamming but it's for a good cause.
  5. I've used these for a while now, they're just fantastic. Every musician should have a pair, I can't believe that some people play without them.

I'm going to move onto the next step soon - the ER-15s or the ER-25s.:cool:
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Ditto ditto. I bought four pair from Mike because I frequently lose them. Matter of fact, I have to place a new order soon because I'm down to two sets (and one is mismatched color-wise).

I always keep a set on my keychain... ya never know when you'll need 'em.
  7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    That´s what I do too! :)
    I ordered these earplugs for my band last year and we absolutely love them! No more foam earplugs!

Good thing this thread came up, it reminds me that I have to order a couple more.

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I use them religiously. Etymotic Research makes some good stuff.
  9. Yes, these things are fantastic! I can't afford anything expensive and fancy, so these help me out a lot. Last year I tried the foam Hear-Os at a Dick Dale concert, and those cut out the guitar, which as you can guess, was a problem. I've taken the Etymotics to Tool and some local concerts, and they work wonderfully.
  10. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    i JUST got my ER20's today. I ordered two pair for me and 1 pair each for two of my friends.

Question: Is it not good to remove the "end cap" from the ER20?? does it ruin the frequency response of the plugs?? Does the tube down the center carry reflected high frequency sound frmo the end cap down inside the ear??
  11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Gotta love them ER20's! :)

But regarding your question about removing the end cap, well I do not know the theory behind that but the earplug should stay intact for optimal performance. I don´t think you should take the end cap out.
  12. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    well, I've been trying them at home here with the stereo, but I'll get to use them this weekend on a "gig". "When your in a band, son, a job it called a Gig!" - Homer Simpson

so far it seems better to leave the endcap on. better treble.
  13. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Do these things stick out of your ears when there in there? or are they more low profile?
  14. m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013
    Whoa, ten year dead thread. Anyone use these with success?
  15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Yup, they're great. I keep a spare pair in each bass case so i I'm never caught without.
  16. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    I've kept a set on my keychain for years. They're great.
  17. m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013
    Any discomfort after an hour or two? Gigging scenario.
  18. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    I've been using ER20s for about 5 years. I put them in the minute the bartender cranks up the jukebox while my band sets up, and don't take them out until I'm sure it's off during teardown. Even after 4 or 5 hours, my ears are quite comfortable.
  19. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I wear them for typical 4 hour gigs. Sure it's less comfortable than having nothing in my ears, but not painful or even annoying.
  20. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    wow, old thread. These are the only earplugs I use, and I use them for band practice and gigs. I (apparently) have small ear canals so I use the small size.