Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Etymotic ER-20s vs earWear 12dBs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe_Atlanta, Aug 3, 2004.

1. After years of abusing my ears with no protection or simple foam plugs, I got a set of ER 20's from Mike Dimin. They've been real life savers on several occasions and I wear them regularly at my gigs and loud rehearsals. However, there are times when I feel like I don't need quite as much attenuation (quieter gigs) and the earWear 12dB ear plugs caught my eye. They look very similiar to the ER 20s and claim to be hi fi.

Anybody have any experience with these? How do they compare?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Can't you switch out the filters in ER's?

3. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    not the ER-20s

and by the way i love my ER-20s :)

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I suggest spending the money and getting the custom Etymonics. The sound is unreal. They allow you to switch between 9, 15, 25 by just interchanging the attenuators. A set is about $150. That seems expensive but think of how much money you've spent on your other pieces of gear. Your ears are FAR more valuable.

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    i have a set of er25s and er15s. i use the 25's for reherasals and loud gigs, the 15s for everything else. i wouldnt be without either, worth ten times the £££'s i spent on them

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The ER-20's are made by Etymotic Research, the company that makes the custom filters. ER will sell the ER-20's in bulk so companies can put their own "brand" on them. It looks like thats what the earwerr's are. If the ER-20's are attenuating too much - pull them out a bit.

Mike

7. Thanks for the tip Mike, that's pretty much what I've been doing. Only problem, once I start pulling them out a bit, they seem to want to keep working out (leaving me with no ear protection in the middle of a song). Guess I'll start saving my pennies for the fitted kind with exchangeable filters.