1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Etymotic Research: Ety-Plugs Baby Blues

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan316, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Folks, I've FINALLY found comfy earplugs.

So I've tried some of those fancypants earplugs with the soft rubber rings, that reduce the sound levels but not at an industrial amount. But they never fit.

These guys always slip out cuz I can't push em in as far as they need to go to stay wedged in there:

[​IMG]

These guys are so rigid and stiff, 15 minutes is painful. My jaw aches from wearing these things:

[​IMG]

Regular foam earplugs always loosen up and fall out, cuz putting them in all the way kills sound instead of softening it, and if I tug them out a bit to gently soften sound, they fall out as soon as I start headbanging.

Well, I discovered a brand by the name of Etymotic Research, who make Ety-Plugs. Same design as the second image I linked to, so I was really skeptical about it. But then I saw on their website, they make these guys:

[​IMG]

These fit GREAT! They're designed like the others, but for smaller ear canals. Not as much sidewall pressure. I even dig the carrying case that came with them!

Here's a comparison of size, to show how they differ:

[​IMG]

Just after a few minutes, I can tell these guys will stay in, won't hurt, and are definitely a gentle, even cut in volume. NOT a muddy all-bass no cymbals music killer.

Folks, go visit their website and description and judge for yourself. They were $13 from their website, plus $6 for shipping. If you find a cheaper source, let me know.

I'ma give them a full test tonight at practice, and then all night long Friday at the I-Rock. If they do their job, Etymotics is getting a BIG fat praising email! I've never been geeked about earplugs!!!

2. Nice one :) While the regular ones are good for me, its good to see they are making a bit of variety now. And they'll allow better sound passage than the foam ones!

3. I have a set of their ear buds. They sound fantastic but the Latex makes my ears itch after while :meh:

4. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    You got the regulars or the Baby Blues?

5. I've got a pair of the regulars... so that's how white they were?

6. I think older ones were yellow as standard :bag: