Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EU/UK Tobias Standard 6 - 1992 'Pre-Gibson'

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by N*Joy, Aug 9, 2005.

1. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    A quick heads up to you guys here before it goes to ebay.

The bass up for sale here is a pre-gibson Tobias Standard 6 string.

Features:
    6 string 34” scale
    Bartolini Soapbars with 3 band EQ (for some reason the mid control pot is in the control cavity!) – controls from bridge to neck are: stacked bass/treble, pickup pan, volume.
    Through neck design with dual truss rods.
    Swamp Ash body wings with 5 piece laminate maple/purpleheart and rosewood fingerboard.

This bass was purchased recently on Ebay with a lack of information so I just want to clarify the history and details of this bass:

It was made in 1992 (after the Gibson buyout but before they took over production) in Japan and states on the headstock that it was "Fabricated in Japan to standards set by Tobias Guitars, assembly & Q.A. at Tobias Guitars, Burbank, CA.. U.S.A." Here’s the explanation from Mike Tobias himself: http://www.mtdbass.com/pages/company.html
    “Basses built during 1990-1992 era were built initially by the same crew that had helped establish Tobias Basses as one of the most sought after basses on the planet.
    Business was still very good and we were not able to make anywhere near enough basses to fill the orders. Instead of trying to jack up production, we tried to get outside vendors to build for us. We had 110 "Model T" basses made for us by a very fine builder in New England, and then we got the Terada factory in Nagoya, Japan to make the "Standard" bass for us. This was and is a great bass, but the $/yen ratio killed the project. There were about 400 Standards.
    Late in 1992, it was decided that in the best corporate interests, Tobias would move to Nashville. After much deliberation, no one from the original Tobias Guitars crew went to Nashville. The final LA Tobias/Gibson serial number is 2044. Despite Gibson's ownership of Tobias, all of the basses made up to 2044 were built by the my regular crew.”

This was bought from the original owner after spending a good few years in storage; it has not received a great amount of playing time and as such is in superb condition. The only issues were a mucky fretboard, knackered pickup screws and foam pads and a poor plastic nut which was needed re-setting – it had good clean up with the pickup parts replaced and the nut replaced by Jaydee Guitars in Birmingham. It has been given a good set-up with a set of D’Addario pro-steels.

I’m selling because the tone is a little too ‘traditional’ for me – I like aggressive sounding basses (Stingrays/Warwicks etc.) and this just doesn’t quite do it for me. A shame really because I love the feel (nice asymmetric neck) and it weighs over 3lbs less than my main bass (the Tobias is a slender 9lbs on the bathroom scales!).

As you can see by the photos; there are no dings, the finish is in top condition, the only blemish anywhere on the bass is the finger wear on the bridge. There is a limited number of reviews available due to the fact that only 400 were ever made: Harmony Central review (http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Tobias/Standard_5-01.html)
    These basses are superb instruments which although not entirely USA made, they were still assembled and checked by the same people that made the Classic and Basic Tobias basses which are now so highly collectable. It is, if you like a genuine Tobias on a budget – the nearest modern day comparison is probably the Sadowsky Metro.

Asking £650 odd. PM or email me for more details

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You have PM...

3. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    A quick addition just to mention that I'll ship worldwide as long as I'm happy about the method of payment (paypal is probably easiest).

I doubt that this is a good enough deal to send stateside, it'd be roughly $1300 including shipping which is a bit on the rich side for a Standard in the US.

4. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Quck bump for the Friday work slackers (me included!) before it goes onto ebay this weekend.