1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EUB Build

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by scojack, Apr 20, 2009.

1. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Hello Folks,
    Ive had a hankering for an EUB for years. This year i decided to do something about it and set about building one from scratch. Im nearly there with the construction and am currently working on pickups for the beast.
    Thought u might like a look..
    IanM

Attached Files:

2. Looks nice- is the back walnut? Specs! More pics! Keep going!

3. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Yes the back is bookmatched Walnut, the front is also walnut with a nice ripple, neck is brazillian mahogany. 41 inch scale.

4. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

That's very nice! I'm using black walnut on my first eub build too......although, your build is much nicer;)

5. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    dig the scroll.

6. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Tx Folks:)
    Phat5 -- you have any pics of your build? id love to see it.
    IanM

7. 59jazz

I'll try to post some this weekend brah! Thanks for the interest.

8. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    Any Progress on the build?

9. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    ups and downs m8.
    I am applying lacquer at the moment
    Wound the pickups over the weekend, I have made the bobbins a bit wider than they need be as i wasnt sure how much wire i'd need on them, but apart from that so far so good, pickup is going to look a tad on the largish size but im more interested in seeing if it works , i can do a new sleaker version later, if i still have the will to live !
    Couldnt resist sticking a set of strings on though to see how it feels, had a nightmare trying to wind the E string, im just using Schaller Machine heads, combination of too much string and not enough peg and it snapped . Lucky it wasnt an expensive set. I've done some digging and found a more suitable (shorter) replacement so im hoping that will solve this problem, then i can move onto the next.................:meh:

Thats about it, i'll try and get a pic this week.
    Thanks for the interest :)
    IanM

10. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Pickup is now built, just the electrics and finishing to do....

Attached Files:

11. 59jazz

Very nice job M8!

p5

12. Beautiful!!! Congrats!

13. zeytoun

zeytoun

Dec 19, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    I don't care for the looks of 90% of the EUBs I see - this one is gorgeous!

14. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Thanks for the kind words ;)
    I'll post some better pics when it's complete. (just dont hold your breath!)
    Im going to build another shorter pickup first i think. This one is OK but as i said before its a bit big, i will have to rout out the body to set it properly. ...After seeking advice I ended up using longer magnets than I had originally designed the bass for. Now I see it, i would still prefer to surface mount a smaller one first and try it. If its not good i will rout a hole to take this bigger version.
    IanM

15. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    After the 3rd re-finish im nearly there. I had a complete nightmare using acryllic lacquer. Finally went back to cellulose and it went a treat.
    Would like to do an adjustable bridge now, but im going to have a break and play with it a bit first. Got to try and work out how to set it up now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Couple of better photos.
    I have replaced the temporary bridge and put nicer knobs on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. nrssab

nrssab

Jun 28, 2006
    Germany
    Pure awesomeness. Do you have any sound clips, I would love to know how it sounds like with that pickup.

18. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Thank you.:)
    No sound clips though, im not what you would call proficient on it yet. When I can get past six notes ......in tune i'll let you know.:p

Sounds good though!

IanM

19. nrssab

nrssab

Jun 28, 2006
    Germany
    Fine fine, no worries on that. When you are confident let us know.

Do you also have a piezo pickup installed, or only the magnetinc one. I see two knobs on the side, what are they for? Did you instal a preamp?

Also one more thing I would like to know is if it comfortable playing that EUB? As I see it has no stand and no extension to seperate it from the players body.

Ah yes and sorry for so many question but I'm quite curious. I'm planing on building a EUB or having it build very soon. I don't want to copy your design but want to collect some information.
    Thanks.

20. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Cool, im really enjoying playing it but im really rubbish, 20+ years on BG is a hard thing to change for an old git like me !

It has the magnetic pup only, (a seperate coil under each string) a volume & tone knob in a passive circuit. Doesnt need a pre-amp, with plenty of output.

Im calling this one the 'SD' model. (Sittin' Doon).
    I had intended to put an extension on it but there doesnt seem much point TBH as im happy with it as it is.
    I'll do something for EUB#2 (which is in the planning stage).

Ask away, if i can help you at all just holler.

Let us know what you decide with your EUB.

IanM