1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EUB Design, possible?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by chris1125, Jul 31, 2012.

1. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    So I was bored and I drew an eub. I'm imaging it being the width of a full upright with a 42" string length, a shortened lower bout like a czhech ease but (here's the catch) have a solid that is 1" thick. So basically a solid bodied czech ease with an electric bass headstock and radiused finherboard so you can bow. The problem is, I don't know how a 1" body could support a 42" neck. If there was a neck pocket with standard 4 screws like an electric bass is there any way I could create a double bass overstand with a radiused fingerboard that extends beyond the neck like an upright? Does that make sense? I want it to feel like an upright but with a thin solid body.
    I was thinking about looking into building it if it WAS possible... I really like the design, it looks classy.

Attached Files:

2. Hi.

The neck joint is the least of Your worries if you ask me ;).

Just forget the neck pocket and bolt the neck onto the slab.

1" one piece solid body of that lenght won't stay in form for any longer period of time, so either a sandwich construction or reinforcement rods are needed.

Why not use silhouette "wings" of Your design, bolted onto a solid centerpiece? That'd take half of the weight off.

Regards
    Sam

3. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Okay, that is definitely a possibility, it could be a neck through one long piece with wings. I was going to paint the whole thing anyways (maybe olympic white with gold trim) so it wouldn't make a difference visually. What exactly does silhouette mean?

4. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Okay here's a couple more pictures of my idea.

Side View:

ForumRunner_20120801_000055.

Here's a side by side with the front view, I would start with just the neck which would be a one piece into the body as shown on the side then add wings of a very light weight wood to create the body shape.

ForumRunner_20120801_000320.

What do you guys think? I feel like the neck might snap under pressure right were the neck meets the body.

5. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    I think it's going to be incredibly heavy! :smug:

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think that neck heel will last very long. Wood doesn't like pulling loads along the grain. The neck heel will act like a lever which could make the problem even worse. I'd imagine that the tension in a 42" neck will be pretty high as well. (I have no experience with any EUB or UB so I could very well be wrong, though)

I think your best bet is to cross laminate some wood to strengthen that heel a bit.

This may be a stupid question, but do you really need that much offset between the neck and the body on an EUB?

I also think that a silhouette design would be pretty cool. :) Something along the lines of this: http://www.maccorp.co.jp/e/carlo/silenzia.html (Just a link picked of google to show the design. I know nothing about the manufacturer and I do know that that isn't a bass. ;) )

6. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    If I wanted it to feel like a real upright I do... I understand the silhouette thing now, yeah that could work. I had an idea about neck support, what if there were two it the support bars between the fingerboard and the body past where the neck ends? I'll draw a picture of it tomorrow, I'm trying to think if that would evenly distribute the tension or just add more weight.

7. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

How does your construction compare to the construction of a double bass? My initial feeling is that it's probably going to be strong enough. I would increase the length of the neck heel, though I understand this is just a sketch.

Here's an instrument with a similar design to what you seem to want:
    http://www.hemage.com/

8. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    You could go for a Set Neck similar to a Single Cut like me ..

ns1.

q1. st2. st1.

I have kept the body size down to a minimum and used a sandwich of Sycamore to keep the weight down.
    Works a treat !

9. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    That is an awesome build! I want to go for more of an upright feel, I want the depth of an upright with a real upright bridge and (slightly shorter) tailpiece. I don't know how I would incorporate a set neck.

I drew a little more today, sort of flying with the silhouette idea.
    Here's the front and side of the center:

ForumRunner_20120801_101804.

I was thinking this would be all one piece but now that I think about it, I would need to start with a block that's 4ft x1ft x 1ft hmm

10. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    this is another solution from Frank Usher..
    Two piece..i presume the neck is just glued on.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    I like that, my neck is more angular because I want a solid "d" neck (reference point for upright bass). His looks pretty solid hmm

12. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland