Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EUB fingerboard wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Phil Mastro, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Do you guys think padouk is hard enough tno be used as an upright fingerboard? Or should I go with something harder?
    I was thinking of using padouk cuz it's not too hard to shape, and it would probably be easier to make the radius off of it compared to some other harder woods who have a tendency to chip more (rosewoods, bubinga, bloodwood).

Thanks,
    Phil

2. I made what appears to be a nice FB out of purpleheart. It doesn't really carve all that nicely, but having seen it used on a few fretless BGs before, so I figured, why not? I am taking FOREVER to finish this bass, though. :rolleyes: Have you ever seen/heard of Paduak being used as an FB before?

Edit/another thought:Coating the fingerboard w/cyanoacrylate(super)glue would likely harden nearly any fairly dense wood sufficiently, I would think. There's been some discussion on this; search under 'super glue', if you're interested.

3. Based on my experience with padauk, I'd say that it might work with flat wounds. I wouldn't use it with roundwounds though. I would say that if you epoxy or CA coat the board then there would be no problem. My buddy Nateo is building an EUB with an epoxied board and I was honestly surprised at how easily it was applied.

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Actually, I have built a EUB with a padauk fingerboard [here it is]. I Used it because I had it laying around and I was in a hurry. It has held up ok for a year so far. Granted I don't play it every day. Personally I think purpleheart would be a little better low cost alliterative wood.

5. I dont know about paudauk, It's grain isn't as tight as other woods, meaning you might have to use a filler or epoxy as geoff said. I've built an EUB using bloodwood as the fingerboard and it works great.

6. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    i have built a bass out of padauk all around including a fretless fretboard. i didnt finish the fretboard much. one coat of nitrocellulose sealer and lacquer.
    i use roundwounds on it and it has already scratch the wood almost all over. its a beautiful beautiful wood and i believe can handle flatwounds if finished with a decent coat.

i will be using padauk again on my next fretted bass. or ebony.
    padauk imo is a good alternative for rosewood. they are both of the same species/genus and have a similar grain. i believe padauk has larger pores. needs more effort when finishing

7. Hey, I remember that one- my lon-running/unfinished EUB has a somewhat similar body shape. Let me see if I can manage an attachment here...

8. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    So I went out to buy some wood today, and I came back with... bocote. Which I plan on using for my fingerboard. I followed your opinions suggesting it would be a tad too soft to hold up against string wear, so I went with something harder. Has anyone worked with bocote before? Looks sweet, but kinda brittle though.

I also got some padouk, but I'll be using it as neck stock. When I have some kind of event happening around this project, I'll post it up. It'll take a while though, I've got lots of work ahead of me (bass-wise, and especially, school-wise).

Thanks

9. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Oh, and that looks sweet!

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    bassteban, I really like that shape and the fingerboard is really nice. I’m looking forward to see what the finished product will be.

A funny story about the shape I used: When I first built my #1 I though it was a pretty original shape, until last summer. I was in the Sacramento airport and there was a display case from one of the local museums, and in the case was a 200 year old African farming tool [they didn't say what it was for] that was the EXACT shape of my EUB, weird huh.

11. Hey, thanks Aaron. How many strings did the farming tool have? ;)