Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EUB Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by g4string, May 10, 2004.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I am a BG player thinking of crossing over to the dark side. I am seriously looking at several EUB's. DB is not an option due to portability issues. Here is my dilema.

I absolutely love the design of the Clevinger Opus. NTM that the sound samples are pretty convincing as well. A new Opus will cost about $3-4K. I like the that is has a heel, end pin, and bout supports. I have never seen a used Opus.

There is a NS CR5M for sale in the BG classifieds at TB. The only thing I dislike about the NS is that you have to use the stand (no end pin) and no bout supports. I have heard that Ned is going to offer this feature on future basses. However, I do not know if you/he can retro-fit older bass with these features. The guy is asking $1800.

There is also a used Messenger for sale in the DB classifieds here. The Messenger is going for $1100.

Then there is the Hotwire. This is a Jazz Bass with a hollow chamber with piezo p/u's a ebony saddles. This is appealing to me because there is no BG-DB transistion. However, I would like to know what your opinion is about the sound. Does the Hotwire emulate the DB sound as good or better than any of these three EUB's? I think the Hotwire has a convincing DB sound. Here is the link. The sound sample is the third link down posted in the thread. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126861

Which one would you get. Keep in mind that I have never played an UB bass before. I will use this for my fusion band and C&W band. Thank you for your words of wisdom.

JG

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    for great tone AND true upright feel you must get in touch with Jesse O'Neal at Ergo instruments. His 4 string is around $650. I just ordered my 2nd from him; a mahogany 4 string.

his email is jesseblu74@aol.com. Just tell him that Don Zebrauskas referred you.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    oh, and it sound sas good or better than the basses you mentioned above. it uses a piezo that is similar to Gage's realist but this one sits under the entire bridge, not just a foot.

4. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

does he have a website?

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
  6. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I don't see a bout or anything on the Ergo and it looks like you have to play it on a stand.

I've owned a Messenger for about 12 years and find it closer to a traditional feel. Not saying the Ergo isn't good, but I like not having to play it on a stand.

7. I have a zeta strados fusion and luv it like my upright. Zeta makes this pretty sweet thing its called the Strados crossover bass. You can take the endpin out and make it a fretless bass guitar. YOu can put the endpin in and make it a EUB. It's pretty cool. zeta website :hyper:

8. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Zetas aren't full size are they? Meaning 41 1/2 scale length.