EUB or fretless or some new way of p/u on my DB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by shackman, May 9, 2002.

1. OK. so i am in a major crisis. I play in a very loud fusion band with 2 keyboardists, drummer, guitar, horns, and i play fender jazz bass half of the time and want to play my double bass the other half. HOwever, I cant be heard when i play my DB bc it wont cut through or i cant turn it up loud enough w/o feedback. only when i play festival with a big nice pa and soundman can i use it. I am trying to decide if i want a fretless electric like Alain Caron or Azola Jazzman that has close to DB sound, or something by Dave Pushic. Im also thinking if i should get an Eminence of Azola EUB since thats the sound im craving. But if it were possible id rather play my DB more than anything. WHats the difference between the EMinence using a Realist and me using a Fishman pu on my DB. if i got an EUB would it be able it to be a lot louder, why cant i just get the same pu system they use? someone please let me know what they think...
  2. robw

May 14, 2001
    Long Beach, CA
    I had the Fishman pickup for a few years. I decided to try the K&K Bass Max (w/rockabilly special) for the same reasons you mentioned. This was just as I started playing a few gigs with a loud rockabilly band. The change was significant. I was really unhappy with my sound at loud volumes, but changing to the Bass Max really cut through.

As a side note, I've been reading quite a few posts discussing various levels of success in getting the Fishman to sound better and louder. I never tried any changes on mine other than to clip them on to the bridge as directed in the owners manual.

Some of the things that might be worth trying are:

1. Try lightly gluing the transducers in place on the bridge instead of using the clamps (the clamps may dampen the sound). Also, experiment with different mounting locations on the bridge.
    2. Try sandwiching both transducers in a bridge wing using a wooden shim (ie. like a saxophone reed) to adjust the fit. This is similar to the placement of the Bass Max transducer.
  3. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Loose the fishman, especially if it doesn't work for you.

Try, if you want to keep your tone, a realist with maybe a sansamp direct box.

or, if you just want to be loud as hell at any cost, use a string charger. You have to get in touch with the guy who makes them.

Good luck