Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EUB or thin body doghouse ?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Frank Louis, Oct 6, 2004.

1. I'm a newbie to the DB world, been playin' BG for almost 40 years. Currently working with a nine piece group with horn section doing weddings, banquets etc. . I would like to add a DB to the mix, would be perfect for the big band, jazz and rockabilly material. I can dial in a useable sound on my slab with a piezo bridge, but a DB would add greatly to the tone and overall presentation of the group.
    However space is at a premium, both stage and cargo. I am considering a BSX 2000, available locally, but this thin body DB with a David Gage pup is attractive . . .
    http://www.giardinelli.com/srs7/g=stringed/search/detail/base_pid/470330/
    Does anyone have experience with this bass? I am concerned about feedback due to the fact that stage posistioning always places me directly in front of my amp. But that big blonde baby would look nice up there ! ;)

2. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    If you are looking at that, for the money and size just go with a DB.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have owned 2 EUB's and sold both. I bought them because of the portability of the instrument. Unfortunately none of the EUB's that I have played capture the true essence or tone of a Double Bass.

A 5/8 of 1/2 size instrument would be a better option. The feedback issue can be dealt with.

most people I know who invest in an EUB eventually sell at a loss and buy a real Double Bass.

Just my persepective.

4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I've heard a guy use an Eminence with a bow...great results. That would be my choice were I in the market. But the real thing is the real thing, and even if the sound is indistinguishable you're going to run into differences that may bug you...such as your bass being too small, easier to play, thereby diminishing your manhood... LOL

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I bought an EUB (Messenger DLX) not to replace my real DB but to serve in situations where using the DB is less than ideal.

I live in a college town--so most of my gigs take place where there are people drinking and getting silly. I'm really nervous taking out my beautiful New Standard Cleveland to my regular party/pub gigs. Even sitting on a stand in a corner it's big and vulnerable. The EUB is much smaller and sturdier--I can put it in its bag between sets and not worry too much about it. Its size also means I can fit it in my trunk--something absolutely not possible with my DB. If I do any touring I can buy a $200 flight case the size of a golf bag, so I will be able to check it as baggage without any extra fees.

I live in a duplex and my girlfriend is a light sleeper. Even with a rubber mute on the bridge the DB is too loud for late night practice. EUB is perfect.

I play in certain situations (particularly Latin groups) where the sound of the EUB is just more appropriate. It can get really loud without feedback, and sounds great with effects for my more experimental projects. Not so with the DB.

I'm sure your needs are different than mine. There are a lot of DB purists and snobs who look down on EUBs. There are a lot of situations where a real DB excels, there are others (such as the ones I mentioned) where an EUB comes in real handy. I personally prefer the popsicle-style EUBs (BSX, Messenger, Steinberger, Azola, Clevinger) for their small size, feedback resistance, and silent practice options. The only thin DB I played was a Meisel, and I wasn't impressed--it was just about as big as a real DB but didn't have the depth of tone. Anyway, HTH--just my $.02.

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    DonZie... you got rid of the custom Ergo cello you had Jesse build?!? :eyebrow:

7. Thanks Winston, your $.02 is worth a grand, and thanks to every one else who responded. I am going with the BSX, I got to play it today and I think it will fit my needs quite nicely. It's got the Bartolini pups and pre-amp, very hot, and will cut through the mix just fine. It will not have the tone quaility of REAL DB, but the advantages far outweigh this short coming. I ordered a set of Spirocores as well, this should help.
    :cool:

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    As some one that actually likes EUBs, my attitude is; does a tele sound like martin, does a 335 sound like a L5, why should a EUB sound exactly like a DB. I think any good bass should be judged by what it does for you. Yes they sound more electric, they are a electric instrument after all, and there is nothing wrong with that. :cool:

9. Here Here, good point, and for my purpose, playing live with limited space, this works just fine.
    But I have to say, in a recording studio, where space is not a factor, I would really want to capture that woody string slappin' growl that only the genuine article can produce.
    Maybe not right away, but a REAL DB is in my future ! ;)

10. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I posted a comparison between my "real" upright and a bunch of Steve Azola's EUB's at his workshop a while back.

My conclusions: depending on different scenerios:

1. Live, acoustic/lightly amplified -- URB wins, up until the amplified sound starts to dominate the acoustic sound. At that point, Steve's "eurocoustic" carved basses really come into their own. They sound *very* nice under these conditions, but are pricey ($3k+). Also beautiful and well made.

2. Recording -- URB wins. Period.

3. Live, loud: -- here the carved EUB starts to "beat" the URB due to greater feedback resistance and very similar tone. Even the "popsicle stick" basses sound good. URB's just dont sound much like URB's when you're playing cranked through a huge system!