1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EUB String Height Setup

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by WarrenG, Jul 13, 2017.

1. WarrenG

WarrenG

Jan 22, 2017
    Herndon, VA
    I am borrowing a friend's Stagg EUB to see if I like it, but the string setup seems to be too high- particularly the A, D and G strings, which are 1/2" above the fingerboard at the bottom, while the E string is closer to the fingerboard at 3/8". This seems backwards, as the A, D & G strings should be progressively closer to the fingerboard than the E string. I have pretty big hands but this setup is a struggle. Any comments will be appreciated.

2. Maybe the bridge is inverted?
    Normally, the bridge should have a right angle at the bottom, on the tailpiece side.
    Maybe it's toward the fingerboard on your bass?
    bridge.JPG

3. WarrenG

WarrenG

Jan 22, 2017
    Herndon, VA
    Unfortunately, the bridge on this one is symmetrical. Although there are screw mechanisms on both sides, it looks like I will need to release the string tension in order to adjust them. Thanks for the quick reply Francois.

4. The Stagg EUBs are rather bad regarding setup. The fingerboard curvature is a bit low, the bridge has more or less equal string height for all strings, the strings in the nut are a lot too high and the nut breaks easily.
    Nothing that cannot be solved, but not something you want to do to a borrowed instrument, since it is not easily reversible.
    Maybe you can check things with your friend setupwise and maybe he wants to change a few things for the better or allows you to do these changes.
    If turning the bridge by 180 degrees it might get a bit better ... or not. But probably the only non-destructive thing you can try.

5. WarrenG

WarrenG

Jan 22, 2017
    Herndon, VA
    Thanks for the good information. I think I now know why my friend went back to playing his double bass. These tips should help him give the Stagg another chance.