1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EUB Truss Rod?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by BassmanAd, Dec 9, 2017.

1. BassmanAd

BassmanAd

Mar 19, 2008
    UK
    Hello,

I'm about to build a homemade EUB and I'm wondering if I'll need to bother with a truss rod? It's going to be a fairly crude build. Hear me out here...

It's going to be a short scale (30") made from a centre block of poplar and mahogany laminate. It'll be four strips of 19mm x 70mm x 1200mm glued together with the seams perpendicular to the fretboard. I'll shape the neck with a spoke shave, sandpaper and a lot of cursing, leaving most of the depth there so it'll be a pretty fat neck. Then I'll glue on a purpleheart fretboard and radius it to 7.25".

So there's going to be plenty of wood mass there and I'm hoping to laminate construction will give it some stability - what do you guys think? Truss rod or not?

Cheers!

2. A trussrod won't do anything to a neck that thick.
    30" is very short for a EUB that should sound more or less like a double bass, you would hardly be able to get strings for it. And with EBG strings it sounds like a EBG.
    But if you also want frets (very few double basses have them, mainly the big instruments from the gamba family), it looks that you only want an upright playable bass guitar, not an electric double bass.

Tom Lane likes this.