1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EUB with acoustic feel and tone - Stonebass No.16

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Peter Baksa, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Peter Baksa

Peter Baksa

Jun 28, 2018
    Pécs
    Hello Colleagues!

I had a dream to have a good EUB once. For me as an acoustic player 'good' means acoustic-ish tone and the same playability like on an acoustic doublebass.

Last year I have found Stonebass and the great hungarian luthier Árpád Vajdovich behind the brand who has already built some solid bodied EUBs. I liked the quality of his instruments and his open minded way of thinking. So we started to make something new together.

After 9 months of drawing, planning, building, replanning and rebuilding the bass is finally ready! So let me proudly present Stonebass No.16!

In this video the great József Barcza Horváth plays on it. More pictures and videos to come soon!

Lets talk about this bass? How do you like it?

Jhu, HateyMcAmp, Uncorked and 2 others like this.
  2. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    looks very cool, sounds great. id have to play it to see how it "feels". but looks like there's a springy top, which would make it feel pretty close to a DB i would think... when you pull on the E string, can you see the rest of the strings move? (on my bass this happens)

3. Peter Baksa

Peter Baksa

Jun 28, 2018
    Pécs
    Thanks! Yes, it has a springy top made of spruce. We call it the Batman because of the shape . The bass is still at the luthier so I am not able to check out what happens if I pull on the E string.

4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Looks cool and sounds good. The design reminds me of my Merchant Vertical Bass, especially the "sprung top" area; Bill uses two spruce bars to achieve the same thing.

5. Peter Baksa

Peter Baksa

Jun 28, 2018
    Pécs
    This similarity is not a coincidence. I made a deep research before designing the bass.

My bass has an extra feature: the sprung top's bigger surface and the shell shaped body can produce a bit louder acoustic sound. So I can practice on it in my small flat without any amplification.

wathaet likes this.
  6. Sounds great both pizz and arco!

Best
    Sidecar

Arpad Vajdovich likes this.
  7. Arpad Vajdovich

Arpad Vajdovich

Feb 20, 2016
    Hungary
    Hi, guys, I'm the one that made Péter's dream come true. It was a great fun working for/with him.
    I can tell you he has checked all eubs on earth. Every nail (don't worry there's none in it) has been thought after 200 times, we had a 20 meter long creative messenger-duel through the month', and the experiment's result with the acoustification module, the "batman" became more than satisfying.
    Stonebassguitars.com

8. Frank Miller

Frank Miller

Mar 6, 2008

It sounds and looks wonderful! How much did it cost?

9. Arpad Vajdovich

Arpad Vajdovich

Feb 20, 2016
    Hungary
    About 2500 $

10. Peter Baksa

Peter Baksa

Jun 28, 2018
    Pécs
    You should know about this price that all the high quality metal parts on this bass are made by my father in law for free. Without that it would cost about 1000$ more.