1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EUB with digital EQ

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by M1234, Aug 6, 2017.

1. M1234

M1234

Sep 1, 2016
    Hi all,
    First post, please be kind :)

Yet another thread about EUBs and a more or less upright sound. I know I know, thousands of those exist already but I think somebody might find this interesting.

I have a Stagg EUB, Deluxe version and finally came to a solution to get good sounds out of it. I even risk saying that I can get some upright-like sounds. I'm posting some details in case anybody is interested.

First, I modded the factory preamp onboard. I tracked the circuit, found where the input buffer section ends, cut the PCB foil a few places to disconnect other sections. I connected the volume pot after the buffer and then to the output jack. So the aux in, the subbass pot, the headphones out and the LED don't work now. Also all noise is gone and battery mA-s are down to tenth of what they were. Happy.

I have a Fishman Platinum Pro but don't like it. I have a feeling that every time I leave it out of the chain I get more clarity. I have a GK MB112-II, so that's all the EQ I have if I don't use the Fishman. I always felt the EQ on the GK alone was not enough to get good sounds out of the EUB. Wanted to add bass - it was boomy and muddy before there was enough bass etc.

This gave me idea to add more EQ bands and try to set up an EQ that offers more flexibility. I have a Behringer Feedback Destroyer at home (DSP1124P), which can be used as a programmable EQ. (I use it for the sub in my home stereo to compensate for room modes.) It has 2x12 filters, 10 presets, freq, bandwidth and gain programmable on each of them.

I did some internet research to find spectrum analyser graphs from an actual upright bass. I didn't find many but this article was promising with a spectrum graph in it.

I programmed the Behringer based on the graph, from 25Hz to 7K in 12 bands. If anyone is interested I'll post the filter settings here. I added a compressor in front (an old VC3 from Joe Meek) and a reverb just before the GK, and it sounds wonderful. the GK settings are bass: 9h, lo-mid: 10h, hi-mid: 11h, treble: 10h.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Randy Ward, equill and carl h. like this.
  2. Nice work!
    Personally, I prefer the hybrid sound and feel of the EUB, but it's great to hear of somebody getting it that close.

And you just know that somebody's going to demand audio samples -clips or it didn't happen :)

3. M1234

M1234

Sep 1, 2016
    I know I know... :) Will some pics do? :)

Okay, TBH I plan to record something indeed - I'll come back here and share it when done.

4. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I am interest to see what the filter setting are.

5. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I have 6 band digital eq as part of my setup and I reduce 400 and 3.2k by 12db and 10 by 6db

6. M1234

M1234

Sep 1, 2016
    Well, the one that sounds the best so far is as follows:

Hz; 1/60 oct; gain (dB)
    25; 5; -15
    75; 5; -10
    100; 5; +10
    130; 3; -10
    230; 3; -10
    400; 5; -6
    900; 5; +3
    1k2; 5; -10
    1k3; 5; +3
    2k7; 5; -10
    4k3; 5; +5
    7k; 10; -5

Note that most of these are very narrow cuts, the middle numbers are the bandwidth in 1/60ths of an octave.

What I tried to approach was this:
    dallinger.

DoubleMIDI likes this.