Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EUB with pit orchestra?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by tornadobass, Mar 15, 2005.

1. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Just curious...has anybody successfully used a EUB with a pit orchestra where the part required both pizz and arco, as well as a small amount of doublng on electric bass?

I'm thinking about trying out my Bugbass for this kind of a setting. Whatcha think?

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I played my Clevinger in the pit at school this year for Annie. It worked out quite well because it doesn't take up as much room.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    "Pit" orchestra could mean many things. If the person who seeks your services is aware of your plan and OKs it, of course it is no big deal.

If you are hired for DB and simply show up with an EUB, it may be cool and you may get ran out of town.

It all depends on what exactly is going on with the music. I have played in a few "pits" where I doubled on slab for some of the pops stuff, but I still wouldn't be caught dead with an EUB on the other stuff.

4. I alternately played an ampeg baby bass for years in pit orchestras (musicals that would hire free lance musicians) and it always served me well. Many times it was a matter of elbow room that made the EUB a better fit than an EB for tight pits.

5. I've done 5 shows in the pit with a EUB due to height limitations. Not as good as the real thing but way better than bass guitar for shows written for the doublebass. Used a Bugbass and I use a volume pedal and drastic EQ to get rid of a very scratchy arco sound.

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I also experienced a scratchy arco and a big volume difference between arco and pizz. The solution I tried was an EQ pedal, keeping the pedal off for pizz and cutting volume and highs for arco. That also works, as long as I remembered when to hit the pedal.

7. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I think Ray Parker did a tour with the Irish Tenors where he used EUB. Maybe he'll chime in.

8. Joe Csibi is currently using a Bridge Cetus-bass with the Riverdance show. I actually wrote to him to ask him about how it plays in a big show like that, but he hasn't written back as far.