Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jherrera, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Jherrera

Jherrera Guest

Sep 25, 2004
    what is the most affordable EUB thats still good. Im intrested in them even though Im broke but im wondering for when I get off my ass and get a job.

2. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Ergo seems to be the only affordable EUB that's worth a damn. User reviews around here have been favorable.

http://www.ergoinstruments.com

Troll

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I have an Ergo and would recommend it. $700 for a 4 string. Plays good and sounds good.

4. i just got an ergo friday. I love it! great tone and well worth the money

5. That's awesome that you can actually get one less 1,000 in full scale. I am still a little distracted from that guy with the Star Track fleet uniform. Disturbing.

How do these compare to the azolas? Could you get the NS electronics installed at a reasonable price?

I heard that Carvin has plans for an EUB but local politcs is thwarting efforts plans.

Just an unverified rumor, however.

6. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    My Ergo experience was pretty middling. I guess it's okay as a sort of practice bass, but I found the tone quite thin and the playability pretty poor. Build quality was also so-so; my headstock developed a hairline crack. However, for $700, you're not gonna do better! You won't be able to retrofit any other electronics to the Ergo easily. For my money, if I was trying to go reasonably cheap, I'd either save a little and try and find a used Azola Bugbass for just over $1k, or buy an Englehard plywood bass for around the same price.

The Azolas are in no way comparable -- head and shoulders above the Ergo, and more. Steve's a true craftsman, and the $2k+ price, plus the 3-6month order backlog he's got reflect that.

7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I sold my Bugbass a few years ago for $1600 in a custom flight case. I'd say the best deal on an EUB is a used one if you have the patience. I'd also agree that the Azolas are wonderful and my selling had to do with a butchered local repair (that was sorted out before I sold) and the fact I'd bought a Deco Bass from Steve and Jill (that is still my main bass).

8. The azolas are hard to come across where I live. I like the Bug Bass, but have never played one. Is the "floating top" option a gimmick or does it actually sound resonate?

I think I am going to ask Santa for one of those Kona Walking Sticks for now, simply becasue it does not hold itself out to be anything it is not. Suppossed to sound nice and play easy, but only 3 strings. I just want something to sit in on acoustic stuff.

9. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    It really does work. Steve Azola is about as gimmick-free a guy as you're ever gonna meet. You will never regret buying one of his instruments.

10. Konabob

Konabob Konaweb LLC

Jan 9, 2004
    Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
    If you are still in touch with Santa, tell him to get in touch with me quick! I sold 10 of them last week in Waikiki and only have 3 left to get me through the Christmas season. One of them went to England, the others were California and Hawaiian sales on Oahu.
    Aloha,
    -Konabob Kona Walkingstick

11. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California

I agree. Steve Azola is a pimp as well as a top notch Luthier.

12. There's the Dean Pace bass....more what Bob Gollihur would call a Fretless Bass On A Stick but hey.....goes for 650 so...

Cheers Rody

13. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Anybody have experience with these? I saw a Educator 4 string (34" scale) in a shop yesterday and was wondering if it'd be worth the $1200 they were asking. I don't think they're being made any more but it seems like they sold for closer to $1k?