Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EUB's good for rockabilly?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 18, 2004.

1. well, im back....still thinking about the great EUB purchase....was thinking along the lines or an ergo but patrickj is building a few which im quite interested in.....but my main question is......would an EUB (ergo) be suitable for rockabilly slap?...ill mainly be using it for jazz, funk and soul...but with my ongoing interest in rockabilly (thank you brain setzer) im interested in learning the technique..so yeah

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    For rockabilly the LOOK is paramount, so the Ergo is not going to win you any points with rockabilly bands.

Since slapping is important many rockabillies mount a second pickup under the fingerboard. On an Ergo, you might be able to mount a pickup to the back of the "body" near where the stand mount is since there is no fingerboard overhang.

Finally for slapping you want to set the action a LOT higher than you would for playing jazz. This might be a problem with the Ergo.

Good luck!

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

How do you get the tattoos and hairstyle, Brian - temporary...? ;)

4. Isn't this Jim Hall's new bass player? :smug:

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I really don't see how you are going to get the sound you want from an EUB.

Plus for the cash you are going to spend you can get a descent plywood UB.

7. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I've been sitting here for 5 minutes trying to figure out something catchy and funny to say. I'm an idiot.

8. Bruce Lindfield

What you mean like Jim Hall was going to re-create his duo with Ron Carter - but when he tried it with the bassist pictured, he decided that he just needed the first part of the title "Alone Together" ! ;)

9. Bruce Lindfield

This seems to be suggesting that Green is a good colour for an RBDB :

[​IMG]

;)

10. ahhh no...this is australia..the "cheapest" upright i can get here is $2500aus....while if was to get an ergo i would be paying around the $1500-1700aus mark..plus i want an eub..portability is a bit thing for me....but we're not acutally playing any rockabilly, im just purely interested in it...so if its not really possible then its not really a big loss....im more interested in getting into some soul, jazz, blues and funk with the upright..maybe doing some flamenco on it ala stanley clarke :ninja:

11. :D bahama green it is :D ...nah..if i was going for an ergo id like a zebrawood..or possibly ebony...mmmmmmmm

12. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    An Ampeg Baby Bass might work for you. Through a tube amp it has a great "vintage" sound. The Azola reissue is really nice too.
    You would need to add a bridge wing pickup to get the fingerboard clicks. The neck adjusts easily to vary string height.

13. oohhhh...im not a tube amp guy either...solid state all the way...although hartke heads are awesome..but they're hybrid :D

14. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    Solid state might work as well...not the same sound though.

15. so tube amps are reccomended for use with eubs?...oh and those azola's are waaaaaaayyy too expensive....they're beautiful and all that..but waaaaayyy outta my price range