1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eudoxa woes

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by AGCurry, May 22, 2020 at 6:15 PM.

1. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Well, I've now lost two Eudoxa strings...

A couple of weeks ago, the wrapping on my A string broke at the nut as I was taking it off.

Today I came into my studio to practice and found that the E string's core had broken in the pegbox.

No more Eudoxa for this boy. They sound great, but I can't justify paying so much for something that breaks so readily.

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    you're not the first nor last person to figure this out.

piggywiddle and AGCurry like this.
  3. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    You broke an E string core???? That is the size of a bungee jumping cable. Call them up; there is a good chance they will send you another.

Sam Dingle likes this.
  4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Olivs and Eudoxas-the heartbreakers.

5. james condino

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Sometimes... I have an Olive G on my bass that has been in continuous use for several years and has been on and off at least ten different times over a six year time period. It shows no signs of the windings going bad, even with a lot of active outdoor gigging all year around in North Carolina. 'Must be doin' somethin' right...!

I once broke three different Spirocore stark E strings within three weeks before I realized the tuning machine had a sharp edge that was eating the strings....

6. MrSidecar

MrSidecar Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    So far, i have been lucky with mine. In my second set now.

And I consider myself very lucky because, for me, all other strings I have tried feel, in retrospect, like an approximation (how close an approximation obviously varies between different string brands) of how I want the instrument to sound, and Eudoxas are the real deal.

But yes, breaking an E seems impossible to me. Maybe some consistency problem with the gut? Maybe they were old out of the package? In any case, I would try to get a refund for it. And maybe the A too.

best
    Sidecar

7. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Same good experience with my Oliv G. More than 3 years on my bass and it looks like new. Also, once I tune it and play a few minutes, it stays in tune for the set...outdoor gigs et all.

8. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    I've had no problems with Olivs thus far.

9. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    Eudoxas- sound great,after a couple of tries with both G&D, too expensive and frustrating to deal with. Gerold's strings are worth it if you are going for a high dollar string.

james condino and Sam Dingle like this.
  10. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Olivs and Eudoxas are great strings; the problem for me and others with both was that with the temp/humidity extremes in NYC, the core expands in the summer when humidity is high, and shrinks as it dries out in winter, causing the winding to get loose. The only solution was to put a fresh set on in October every year. $$$$$

11. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    same here down south. In FL i probably wouldn't try olives or guts in general (@Steve Boisen do you know anyone brave enough?) but in New Orleans people seem to get about a year out of their olive G's. Fine if its just one string but when it gets to a full set thats pricey.

One solution that a friend has is luckly his bass likes Helicore pizz strings more than spiros so he does helicore EAD and an Olive G. Changing once a year that comes out to about the price of a new set of evahs or spiros each year. Not great but not horrible.

armybass likes this.
  12. james condino

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I know that they are a completely different price point and conversation, but as a gigging guitar player, I've been known to change my strings every set break if the music and conditions are hard....

Sam Dingle likes this.
  13. piggywiddle

piggywiddle Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    I have probably spent 5k on Pirastro gut strings over many years. Sadly they won't improve the stability of their windings so I won't use their strings. But that's okay because there are other choices now.

AGCurry and Sam Dingle like this.
  14. Luigir

Luigir

Mar 15, 2018
    What are good alternatives in your opinion?

15. piggywiddle

piggywiddle Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    if you play jazz then there are TONS of options but my favourites would be Gamut and Genssler. For classical the Genssler strings are amazing.

Luigir likes this.