1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eudoxa

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bassbuddie, Apr 28, 2009.

1. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal
    A friend of mine making fun of me because my string pathology recently, gave me a set of almost brand new Eudoxa to try on my bass. I was very excited because I wanted to try them.

Maybe it's because I am so used to sound of spiros, I can't say that I fell in love. I like the big gut sound, but I feel like I am playing underwater. I have 7/8 bass and the soundof the bass is dark.

I don't know if I should give them a try and go for a soundpost adjustment or forget about this and, as usual, go back to the spiros (déjà vu?)
    Any advice?

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I tried 'em and really like 'em acoustically but all the magic was lost amplified.

3. Give them a couple of weeks to settle in.
    Gut core strings take some time, and your bass also need to accomodate to them.

The sole thing I dislike in these strings is the sticky feel of the silver wrap.

4. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal
    Donc, tu penses François que si j'attends quelques semaines, j'obtiendrai peut-être un son plus riche.
    François

Translation: So you think that if I wait couple of weeks I can get a richer sound?

5. Yes, and your ear will also have forgotten the tone you were used to with the Spiros.
    (not sure this sentence is okay but you get the point...)

6. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal
    I am curious Finger, what was the setup when you tried them amplified, do your remember?

I just tried them with a Full Circle and a Phil Jones Suitcase, and I have to say that it sounds good. I was expecting boomy sound, but it's more like a pleasant dark sound with authority. Now, I tried it in my room, it won't be the first time that I am pleased with sound of my amp in my room, then go to a gig and dislike it because I cant ear myself or it's too boomy...

7. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I use a Realist. I also tried a mic. I ran through an AI Clarus/EA Wizzy 12 M-Line and also a GK MB150S.

I thought I got a good tone at home. Not overly boomy with some nice gut warmth. On a gig I felt swallowed and couldn't hear my intonation. I could eq stuff so it worked better but at that price point it really didn't make sense.

I really liked everything about the strings at home. The feel, girth, and tone were like a dream. I just couldn't get used to them live. Factor in the tuning instability and I had to move on.

I'm really loving the dead as a doornail Spiros (Stark E, Mittel A, D, G) I have now. Tuning wise they are a rock. The tone is dark with just a hint of the Spiro bite which is what was alluring about the Eudoxa. Gut warmth - steel bite. I got them used for next to nothing 2 years ago. Factor that against $500 strings that last 1 year before the windings go to **** and the choice was made for me.

8. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal
    I have the string on since a couple of weeks. Francois is right, after a week or two, the strings started to sound really good. I am really pleased. I am still trying to adjust my technique for the low tension, I am used to spiro mittels. I was waiting to play amplified to report my comments. After Fingers post and my personal experience, I was absolutely sure that the sound would not cut through. I was wrong, they sounded much more natural then spiro and I had not problem to cut through. I have a full circle with a phil jones suitcase. If I have the " courage" to expose my bad intonation and mutiple musical errors, I will post a sound clip of this gig recorded with a H2.

9. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal
    I uploaded a version of Eddie's Blues on my MySpace page. You can ear me play with Eudoxa strings, on my Carved Chzeck double bass, with a Full Circle, amplified with a Phil Jones Suitcase, recorded with a Zoom H2 place 6 foots in front of the band. There is a bass improvisation at 3/4 of the song.

http://www.myspace.com/bassejazz
    The song is Eddie's Blues.

10. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    You're getting a nice tone. Maybe the Eudoxas didn't mix well with the already darker sound of my Realist. It's definitely working for you. Kudos.

11. Great tone, François!
    Nice solo too!

12. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Nice sound Buddie and nice playing too! :)