Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Euphonic Audio and "vintage" sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Thinker, Jan 10, 2005.

1. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Hello, all.

I have an old EA iAMP 600--the big white one :). I looooove the sounds I get from this amp when I play "modern" sounding basses--mainly my Hamer Cruise 2Tek w/Dimarzio UJ pickups.

HOWEVER...

I owned a Fender '62 reissue Jazz and never really dug the sound through this amp. The same bass sounded great through a Sunn 300 tube amp. (With my Hamer and some other basses I preferred the sound of the iAMP to the Sunn.)

The other night I put flats on my P bass and have been...underwhelmed so far. Seems almost like there's too much "definition" to get that vintagey flats-on-a-P sound.

Anyone else have similar experiences with the iAmp? Do I need to have my ears checked? :eyebrow:

PS: I play through a SWR Goliath Jr. III cab w/the tweeter cut back to about 25%.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Have you tried other cabs with the iAMP, or other heads (your Sunn?) with the SWR? Needless to say, both head and cab will have quite an impact in this regard. That said, I also find that certain combinations of bass/string/amp/cab work well together, and certain combos don't work as well. Of course, with the iAMP, you have mucho EQ control, though it can take some time to really bring out your ideal tone. I have not heard the 600, but from what I can tell, the EQ setup should work similar to that of my iAMP 800, and with some cabs, I definitely have to spend some time tweaking to get my ideal tone, whereas with others, it's pretty much plug and play.

Tom.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Try a scooped mid EQ setting and boost bass while rolling off the top end. I use a Hanewinckel Vintage Retro 4 strung with flats through my iAmp800 and Whappo Jr. all the time. Killer vintage tones.

4. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I haven't messed with cabs much--I'm very pleased with the SWR cab overall, but I guess a little experimentation wouldn't hurt and would probably be fun :).

So far I haven't found this amp to be really "plug and play." I can dial in KILLER tones, but I have to change settings whenever I play a different bass. This isn't a problem as I'm *cough* between bands right now, but I could forsee an issue once I'm playing out again.

5. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the suggestion--I'll give it a try.

Just curious: Do you use the Countour switches, the EQ, or a combination?

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  7. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks, Mike.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Personally, I do a combination of EQ and switches. But there are a number of ways to get great tone out of this amp. My previous experience with my 600's has helped a lot in this regard.

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The amp is designed to be nuetral sounding so you can dial in any sound you want. Some amps are more "plug and play" as you say, but they are not nearly as flexible as the iamp. If you dig their inherent tone, cool, but iif is much more difficult to EQ iout that sound if you don't want it. f you want power and flexibilty, the iamp is the way to go

Mike

10. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    That's what I'm wrestling with. Right now I'm leaning toward keeping the iAmp and using outboard stuff (Sansamp, eq) for switching basses.

I'll probably check out a couple of other amps meanwhile, but I have yet to find something that lets my Hamer sing like the EA!

11. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Nice basses, eh? :bassist:

Thanks for the heads-up on the F1X. Don't know if want to unload that kind of dough for a pre that I'd be using maybe less than 25% of the time (generally I favor a modern tone). I'll probably stick to the Sansamp for now.

12. Hey Joshua - I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm looking to "downsize" from my current DB750 - will the Stewart and alembic fx1 give me a comparable sound?

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    An Ag DB659 + power amp of choice would get closer to the DB750.
    I understand that the 659 is a bit different than the preamp in the 750, but probably closer than anything else.