Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Euphonic Audio Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Recently I ordered a Euphonic Audio CXL 112 cab from (ALL HAIL) Bob Gollihur. I have used it on two very loud gigs, and just wanted to report that this thing is completely amazing! It stays perfectly clean no matter how hard you push it, both with Realbass and with Slab. It never gets tubby, but has an incredible amount of presence. Without a doubt, this is the nicest cab I have ever played through, and I'm still underpowering it by running it with a Clarus.... when I finally get my new EA iamp 750 head, LOOK OUT! :D

I'll still use my Clarus/1x8" configuration for most regular jazz gigs and "almost acoustic" settings where I want just a little support with as transparent a sound as possible - for these settings, the EA cab would be overkill, and it is pretty heavy...but for loud gigs and doubling gigs, I can't imagine anything sounding much better.

Just thought I'd post a rewiew in case anyone was in the market for such a cab. Definitely worth checking out.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Chris Finalgermicide

I am interested in a CXL (10 or 12) for real bass but I have other toys in line.

BTW your "ask Harvey" mic thread is still going in HR (I downloaded and printed most of it).

Anyway you got a bump and I hate posts going unanswered even if I talked a load of gonads on it.

Chris Sexton (if you forgot)

3. I cannot agree more with your review of the CXL 112. It is the best cab I have ever played. I still cannot believe the quality of sound coming out of the thing. This is exacly what I have been looking for in a doubling cab. ( I still bring the VL110 to DB only gigs) I wish EA had more dealers so that more people could try this speaker. It really changed my ideas about size VS volume.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

CHRISTIAN SEXTOOL,

Again, we cross paths...I was pretty interested in the CXL 110 at first because I usually prefer smaller speakers for DB, but Bob talked me into trying the 112 instead, claiming that it was more versatile. He's a sneaky one: he'll say, "try this out on a few gigs, and if you don't like it, we'll find you something else"....knowing full well that once you get your hands on the item, you'll never even CONSIDER sending it back. This is the second time he's got me with that scheme (the first was with the Clarus). How does he do it? The old fashioned way - by only selling top of the line **** that does everything advertised and more. Seriously, you can't go wrong with that cab.

Regarding HR.BBS: yeah, Harvey's the man. I learned more about recording from that thread than I have from any other source I've ever encountered. Not to step on Bob's toes, but I think he deserves an ALL HAIL as well. Good to see you again.

CRUSTY FISTGERBIL

5. I'm glad you're digging your new cab! A glowing review on an interesting component is truly the best way for me to fall off the G.A.S. wagon! :D

Personally, I've got my eye on one of those snazzy and yet-to-be-released high-powered Clarus 1H's paired with a CXL 110 and a CXL 112. :cool:

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Apologies for the late reply

I do like it when one finds a supplier who goes beyond simply taking your money and actually cares. Glad you like the cab and I saw your Luthier Forum thread so welcome to the dark side.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    An update: Just added a Bergantino 112 to the arsenal, and the combination of the CXL-112 and the Bergantino 112 is unbelievable. For DB, I had always thought that really LOUD gigs were impossible to play without a PA system, but with these two speakers in tandem, I can cut through just about anywhere and still maintain a natural, "woody" tone. Alone, either would be fine for smaller gigs, and would offer headroom to spare. Together....HOLY CRAP!

To compare the two:

The EA is slightly larger (taller, actually) and heavier, with solid side handle grips built into the cab. It is more efficient - which makes it louder with the same power - and slightly more "aggressive", with the solidity of tone to punch through dense textures.

The Bergantino is a bit more "portable", though also built like a tank. The handle is top mounted and slightly cheesy, but the portability makes up for it. This cab is somewhat more "open" and transparent, with lots of air and wood in the sound, but not as punchy.

Both have controls for the amount of horn in the mix, and both offer amazing hi-fidelity sound. I can highly recommend either.

8. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hi,

Another vote for EA here. I have 2 CXL-110's and I really love them. One alone is good for rehearsals and upright bass gigs, but the pair is . . .well, twice as good! I usually use 2 on loud corporate gigs when I'm playing electric bass. On the rare occassions that I have to use other gear, I am amazed at how unclear and dull sounding it is. One of the best purchases I've made.
    Best,
    Laurence Mollerup

9. this sounds like a nice cab but how much will it run me?

10. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
  11. Bob (All Hail!) Gollihur most probably doesn't want to blow his own trumpet, so I'll do it for him - I recently got a great deal on an EA-CXL-112. Give him a call... (see threads passim...)

- Wil

PS: I'm not associated with, related to, or working for Bob (AH!) Gollihur - I'm just telling it as I find it...

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Update from a Kentucky Gear Whore: I recently jumped on the chance to buy a used EA VL208 cabinet to use as my "small rig" for jazz gigs, and I've been enjoying it a lot. Totally transparent. It's one of those, "Damn, your bass is LOUD!....oh, wait....were you using an amp?" cabinets - I have to keep checking to make sure the amp is on because the sound is so much like my bass with no added color. Highly recommended if you can find a used one.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've bought two of these and have said many many time on TB that they are the best cabs I ever heard!! :)

14. Groovski

Groovski

Sep 20, 2002
    My happy place
    :D :p
    :D :p
    :cool:

15. CBFinet

CBFinet

Nov 11, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    So what is the deal with these cabs??? I have a chance to buy a used one but I'm concerned that is might not have enough low end with the 8" speakers. I would end up gettin a VL 210 too, but I want to be able to use just the VL 208 on most gigs. Don't get me wrong, I don't want a boomy cab, but something with enough a really clean sounding low end. Thanks

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Enough low end for what kind of gig? My VL208 has the cleanest low end of any cabinet I've ever heard, but it adds no color, so if you're used to lots of thunder, be prepared to make it with your fingers since these speakers only put out exactly what you put into them. I use mine alone for straight ahead duo, trio and quartet gigs. If the drummer's loud or I want some added oomph on the low end, I'll take the CXL 112 instead. For gigs which mix jazz and a bit of funk/eclectic stuff, I'll either take the 112 or both, depending on the room and the scene. I love the 208, but it's a good idea to have some backup for those gigs where you want to really push some air.

17. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have two CxL-110s and i really like them. tehy are so damn clear, and punchy! I just want alittle more low end. I set them side-by-side. mmmmmm....EA

18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    EA cabs are truly amazing. I have 2 VL 210s. I don't play a real bass but my slabs sound like my slabs. I've been concidering the CXL 112 also. Especially since they reduced the weight to only 42 lbs. So a 42 lb cab that puts out 103 db and goes down to 38 hz sounds very tempting to me. And now back to the "other side".

19. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Stacking them in vertical alignment is best. I have taken one out with the iAMP 350 head, and when I punch in the deep switch on the amp I have all the bottom warmth that I would want.

I just got one of the new Whizzy 112 cabinets in-- I was surprised at how prominent the highs are. I thought that it might be a little dark without the tweeter. It is neutral sounding, so far it I think it sounds more like the CXL-110 than the CXL-112, but I will compare them side by side when I return from NAMM-- leaving tonight, so there's precious little time today.

The Whizzy cabinet is 4 ohms, so it coaxes more power from the Clarus-- I tried it and it gets quite loud. From the specs I would expect you could drive a pair of the Whizzy cabs since the Clarus would handle the 2 ohm load. It only weighs 29 lbs. according to specs, but feels even lighter- I'll have to weigh it.

[​IMG]
    Whizzy 112 cabinet

20. CBFinet

CBFinet

Nov 11, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    So do you guys think that the combination of the VL 208 and the Vl 210 would be enough for almost any gig??? I don't know if i can find a VL 210B with the more efficient speakers, but if the only thing changed is the efficiency, then I should be okay with my 1200 watt Walter Woods. The other thing I'm considering is maybe 2 VL 210s. I play mostly smaller venues with 2-7 piece jazz groups, but I get the occasional big band or funk gig and I need something that will be enough when I use both speakers...