Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Euphonic Audio CX310 Concert

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boogiebass, Jun 16, 2004.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
  2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hi Boogie-
    I'm really glad you like it! I probably would have stuck with it a little while longer had I not been one of the smaller weak bassists you describe. :)

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Heh, heh, yeah it's a bit of beast to lug around. No question. :p

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Interesting review! I also have a CX-310, and even though I have way too many cabs, and the CX-310 is one of the most difficult to move, it's hard to get rid of, for the reasons you point out in your review. What really impressed me, was how well the CX-310 compared to two VL-210's. In the low end department, I'd say that there is very little difference (which is an impressive feat in and of itself). The highs from the CX-310's coax are noticeably brighter than those in the VL-series (although I should point out that the VL-310 is the exact same cab as a CX-310), but if you don't like that, you have an attenuator knob. I keep mine about 3/4 on. The mids are where these two setups vary the most, but the difference if somewhat volume dependant. I have always found the VL-210's midrange to improve dramatically the harder you pushed it. The CX-310 is more consistent throughout the mids from lower to higher volumes, and I prefer it to the two VL-210's at lower volumes, but at higher settings, the two VL-210's show better balance, articulation, and smoothness throughout the mids.

There is no doubt that this is one serious single cab solution. The size and weight are really its only major drawbacks. I did a brief comparison between my Accugroove Whappo, Jr. and my CX-310, and even though this was done at only moderate volumes, I think that it was fairly illuminating, as both of these cabs seem to maintain their character at any volume. First, I powered up the CX-310 and jammed for a while with a big old smile on my face. Then, I switched to my Whappo, Jr. and was amazed at how much thicker and meaty it sounded. I have commented before at how Accugroove cabs provide a thick, full tone no matter where you play on the fingerboard. Even the higher notes have dramatically more girth to them. This comparison with the CX-310 really highlighted that characteristic of Accugroove cabs. That said, the CX-310 still went deeper than the WJ (the same was also true when I A/B'd my Whappo, Jr. with my two VL-210's). The EA was more scalpel-like in its precision, and had a more sparkly top end. The Accugroove is fat, meaty, but still clear as a bell throughout its range. Both are fairly uncolored (you really can't find a noticeable frequency peak or valley with either), but still retain distinct characters. In fact, they compliment each other very well. But who would be masochistic enough to bring both to a gig? Oh, wait... ;) :bassist:

I'd say if you are talking about the best standalone cabs available new or used, the CX/VL-310 certainly deserves to be on the short list. Of course, the Whappo, Jr. (and El Whappo) should also be up there. Other classics are the Mesa Boogie Diesel or RR 4x10 and 2x15's, and of course the enigmatic SVT 8x10. If you include smaller cabs in this equation, the EA Wizzy is a remarkable solo performer. Once you start including cab combo's, though, you need to add: two (or three) VL-208's (or a VL-208/VL-110), two VL-210's, Epifani T-112/T-110UL (which is the best sounding Epi setup that I have heard), and Bergantino HT112/EX112 (which I prefer to the HT322).

Interestingly, I have never used the CX-310 tilted back. I usually have my rack sitting on top of it. Can you describe any difference in how it sounded tilted back versus not?

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    great review, Boog, and nice comparison, Tommy!

:cool:

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very interesting observations, Tom. Thank you.

I'm 6'5" so I find that it's a simple thing regarding the tilt-back: I can hear it better! My ears are just too high off the ground, I guess. :p Seriously, though, the upper register seems to be a little more prominent in tilt-back and I found that it tightened everything up a bit (not that this cab is loose or flabby in any way). It also seems to project a little better on a raised wooden stage when tilted back. I'm sure there's some coupling issues with the cab sitting flat as opposed to tilted back also as the majority of its weight goes to the wheels and handle in the latter position.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Cool. Thanks for sharing!

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    As an aside to this thread, I spoke with John Dong today and he mentioned that they only made about 30 of these cabs. So I guess Tom and I lucked out! :cool:

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Really!?! Okay, that's it. Now I am officially never selling it!

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Did you ever sell yours, Jared?

11. Hey Boogie, I'm the mirror image 5'6" :D

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    And hence the WW and HT112/EX112, eh?

I split the difference between you two, but at 198lbs, I can lug about anything. It's the lugging without hitting walls, doorjams, molding, etc. that is a challenge. Trust me, there is no need to give the wife any additional reason to complain about my "band habit!"

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I got Jared's in a trade! :p

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    YAGCR*, Tom; Thanks!

* Yet Another Great Cab Review

P.S. Boogie, yours was great also; thanks.
    P.P.S. I really gotta check out the Berg HT112/EX112 mini-stack!

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'll add my voice to the chorus of cheers for that combination. I recently bought my EX112 to sit under my HT112 and it sounds amazing with the Woods Ultra!

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    just a quick peek:

[​IMG]

NM410

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, John mentioned those would be introduced at the summer NAMM. Very seriously considering one when they become available.

18. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

Notice the side vents for the "M" shaped transmission line

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yes; I was wondering what those were.

I'd volunteer to test one of these out for you guys for a couple of years or so. I'd even do it for free. :cool:

20. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks very much. I am putting you on the list, let's see, you are number ......... 6,427 - you shouldn't have to wait too long
    :D

Mike