1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Euphonic Audio (EA) gear in Australia (and I have some:)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chog, Apr 26, 2006.

1. chog

chog

Sep 4, 2000
    Sydney, Australia
    I bought an EA iAMP800 from George Ganakas at www.bassgeardirect.com.au the other week and it is incredible. When I heard that George was bringing them out I was very excited and got in contact with him soon after. He brought an iAMP800 and NL210 for me to check out, both were amazing but unfortunately my bank account wouldn't have liked me very much if I got both but I just had to have the iAMP.

I've gigged with it a few times since on both slab and upright, using a Scheoder 1212, doing a fairly loud rock(ish, I don't like using genres, they tend to get stereotyped) gig using my G&L L2000 and fretless CIJ Fender Jazz '62 reissue. From the first note I hit, I knew this rig meant business. I've never really been happy with my live sound before with other rigs, it's always sounded kind of muddy. The iAMP cut straight through and I've never had so much clarity and definition. A friend of mine who was at the gig (also a bass player) did a bit of a walk around while we were playing to see what it was like around the room. He said that even when he got as far away as he could from the stage and the PA was giving up, the bass was still crystal clear.

I also used it for a quieter folky gig at The Basement were I used fretless and upright. They both sounded beautiful and I got quite a few comments on how good my sound was. As I'm sure a lot of you know, it's not easy to get a good amplified upright sound. The "tone shaping" (EQ) is probably the easiest I've used.

George is a great guy with some great gear (and since your dealing directly through him, the distributor, it's a whole lot cheaper, and better IMO, than the competitors). He brought the gear a long way out to me so I could check it out, without even the promise of a sale. Check it out at bassgeardirect.com.au.

2. bassbinge

bassbinge

Sep 17, 2004
    new zealand
    I,m so envious ,down here in N.Z. we have even less bass gear choice than Aus. I imported my own Eden WT330 and an Aguilar GS112 from the USA and it has been a great little amp but i would like a bit more power and a cleaner sound and i lust after an i-amp800(first choice) along with WT550 and Thunderfunk 550.
    So whats the price on the i-amp ,did i say that i am envious! no E.A.,Schroeder,Thunderfunk,Eden in N.Z.:(

3. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    i think, the price is around 2000 aus, which is a very good price!

4. bassbinge

bassbinge

Sep 17, 2004
    new zealand
    that is a good deal considering a mesa walkabout costs NZ$2400 over here!

5. Actually, was quoted $1730 AU including a EA carry case and racking kit and free delivery within the Sydney metro area, probably a little extra if you are interstate.

chog'y, it is an amazing amp for what you pay. I've got 2 x NL210's and I tested them with an iamp800 at his place and man it was unbelievable. The lows are just huge but tight and crystal clear. Though the NL210's sound great thru my Eden WT550. But I am just about ready to order the iamp800 , been saving hard beleive me.

bassbinge, while I was at George's place when I got my NL210's he mentioned that he was selling to NZ and that he was organising to send an NL210 to Wellington or somewhere. You should send him an email I'm sure he would be able to work something out for you. He's a nice bloke. He's email address is george@bassgeardirect.com.au.

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I had recent discussion with George as well, which he would ship to NZ. You have pay GST and import duty on the gear though.

Check out http://www.greensquare.net/ another Aussie dealer who will ship the NZ.

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Welcome to the EA family.

8. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Yep, that's me! George is an awesome guy, he was incredibly helpful and my NL-210 got here in about 3 days, it was sent air freight. The price was not too much more than a new SWR Goliath Jr. III from the Rockshop (evil store, employees are braindead), and that was including shipping etc. It was so worth it. Yes you have to pay import duty and GST. Import duty on speakers and amps is 7%. You can ask George about import taxes, he'll give you an idea of how much it will be. It'll be cheaper than anything decent from the Rockshop.

He also offered to take it back & pay shipping when I thought something was wrong with it - turned out it was just my amp struggling to keep up (clipping). D'oh! So in the end I've gone with the power amp solution.

Also there's www.greensquare.net, which sells Schroeder, Acoustic Image and AccuGroove in Aussie. But I must say, when I was debating whether to get a Schroeder or an EA, I emailed both retailers at the same time. George replied within a few hours, whereas the guy at Green Square took a few days. Then I asked him to give me shipping estimates and it took him over 2 weeks, by which stage I had already bought my EA from George. And I'm glad I did, it's light, loud and so sweet on the ears.

Now I'm waiting to see where I can get nice basses in NZ....

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    good to see that the EA attack has reached your shores...

hide your mothers and daughters, your young, your villagers with bad tone!!!