Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Euphonic Audio, EBS spkr. cab's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toddjazzbass, May 10, 2003.

1. No reviews are posted on Euphonic Audio, nor EBS speaker cabinets (yeah, they're pricey). Any EA or EBS owners out there who can comment on these products -- please email me. I can't find a 2x10 on display to "test-drive" at any respective dealer. I hear lots of great things about both, but never see a demo at my local dealers. I've played almost EVERYTHING out there in the 2x10 category except for these two. Weight is a BIG issue w/ me so please comment on it's "LUGGGGGG factor?" Thanks. Toddjazzbass@wmconnect.com

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
  3. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Here's Harmony central EBS-210 review:review
    and EBS gorm ET210 Combo reviewreview2

I bought EBS-210E cab yesterday and haven't really tried it in a loud band situation but somehow I think it will do just nicely. I tried it out with EBS-1V2 preamp into Yamaha P4500 (just one channel cca 600W) and it was loud, louder than Trace 4x10 rig I used some time ago. IMHO this is the best thing I have heard in my life:) .
    But I havent tried US hi-end stuff:meh: .
    As for the weight it has 26kg(cca57lbs) it is small (for a bass cab) and it has very good handles on each side so carrying it is not a problem.

oh yes I almos forgot I got it for 520€:D

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a EAVL210 and wouldn't consider it light-weight......it's one of the heavier 2/10's I have or had.

5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    The CXL210 is about 65lbs and the VL210 is about 75lbs. The performance specs on the EBS don't come close to the EA for a stand alone 2x10" IMO. The only other 2x10" I'd recommend would be an Acme. Great sounding cab, only 50 lbs, but you need a lot of power to push it. At least 500 watts.

www.acmebass.com

6. If weight is an issue, check out the new Ampeg Portabass cabinets; I just picked up the 1X12 and am pleased as punch. 200 watts and 23 lbs. Plus, it has little luggage rollers and an extendable handle, like stewardesses have on their bags. Plus, it kicks serious butt. I'm lovin it. More later.

7. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Now that's what I call a shameless plug.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I don't think Acme Bass Co works for Acme cabs, it's not Andy's style.

9. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    No, I don't work for Acme Bass Cabs, never owned one. EA Cabs Rule!!!

10. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    I'm curious then, why is your id Acme Bass Co.?

11. Wow guys - toddjazzbass here, the guy who posted the question "anybody played EA or EBS cab's, etc." - well how ironic (I first thought) that Acme Bass Co. made a response. I am one of the few who has returned an Acme Bass Cab. I didn't like tone and it was not a 2x10 that sounded like a 4x10 (as Bass Player Magz.) -- MHO of course. I'm relieved to see Acme Bass Co. is not Andy cuz I felt a little guilty (not really) about the negative review I wrote re: Acme (check it out). I do very much appreciate everyone who has responded -- this is fantastic bass orgy hearing great opinions and facts on the gear I'm contemplating on purchasing. Toddjazzbass@wmconnect.com -- P.S. I do need to test-drive those new lightweight Ampeg cabinets too.

12. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yeah. Look bud, you dont have to plug them, we know they're good, and we know your opinion. Im not having a go at you, just dont go so hard and trying to get someone to buy a cab. Just stay cool, and there is no need to plug anything.

Paul really wouldnt want a phone call from andy abusing him for you lugging one of he's cabs, and infoming someone the wrong thing now would he?

:D Stay cool, and dont go to hard bud.

13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm not sure how far Sanford is from Bass Central but they've had a used VL210 for awhile. It might be worth a trip there to meet up with Gard and give that cab a try.

Like Jerry says, the VL210 is a weighty cab. And it's not really just a 2x10 since it has two 5" mid-range driver and a tweeter. Mine has casters which makes it a bit easier to manage. The VL210 also wants LOTS OF POWER. I've noticed that when my amp's red clipping LED flickers I can hear it through the cabinet. It's a very revealing cab.

I did get a chance to audition an EBS 2x10 about a year ago and was pretty impressed. Playing a new Fodera Monarch through an Aguilar preamp.

But looking at the specs the EA comes out looking far superior.