1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Euphonic Audio iAMP-500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boogiebass, May 16, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i loved the Tri112 with mine. find me something bigger sounding, and i'll eat my hat. course, i sold my Tri to save up for a Whappo Jr. ;)

but yea, i'm totally in love with my 800. soooooooooo freakin' versatile, it'll run hoops around most heads in its class.

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Seems like more than a few folks run their iAMP with something other than an EA cab. How come? Just curious.

3. I had my Acme before I got my EA, and I saw no reason to switch out the cab.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Why, because it makes everything sound good! :D

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    In some cases, I think it's because not everyone wants the kind of revealing clarity an EA cab offers, opting instead for a more colored sounding cab. In other cases, equally revealing cabs may be preferred simply because, as seems the case with Richard Lindsey, they were already on hand. EA cabs are full-range and rather uncolored and not all players want that kind of sound. They are also ruthlessly revealing of poor technique which may also affect some decisions! :eek:

I do believe, however, that the mating of an EA cab (or cabs) with an EA amp offers a sort of special design-based synergy that is unique. Generally, I prefer using EA cabs with my EA amps but I have been known to drive the Whappo Jr. with the iAMP 800! ;) In the latter case, it's GOOD! :D

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I agree on both points! The Jr. does sound great with the iAMP 800. Currently, my favorite cabs to drive with the iAMP are two Wizzy's.

Tom.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Tom, I am so close to buying another Wizzy. What an amazing little cab! I have no doubt that 2 Wizzy cabs and the 800 (or 500) would be killer! :eek:

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    dont worry, steve,

its only a matter of time before i talk myself into getting an NL210. that's a smokin' little cab!

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Right, that's what I was getting at: the distinction between vibrational energy coming of the cabinet wall vs. that coming off the speaker cone and / or the port. Boundary coupling is a function of physical proximity to the boundary, and the Gramma doesn't change that proximity very much, in terms of low bass wavelengths.

10. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Their website has some design tools and white papers, I believe. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you design a better, more expensive mousetrap if that's your goal. The Gramma would be trivially easy to reverse engineer in any case.

McMaster-Carr sells all sorts of vibration dampening foams and other materials like Sorbothane as well, if you want to really go off the deep end. Prepare for sticker shock though. :cool:

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I will be using my 500 with an Epifani NYC112. I really like how my Epifani sounds, so I am going to keep it. I will eventually get a Wizzy.

-Mike

12. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    I almost always use my CxL-112 for EUB gigs, which are mainly what I'm playing these days. I didn't necessarily expect to use the iAMP-800 for electric gigs, since I have plenty o' rack goodness for that. But it turns out that the iAmp works great with my Schroeder, which in turn is great for fretless BG. I tried the VL-210, which sounds nice but is way too heavy for my taste, but haven't tried the NL yet. Two CxLs would make me happy sound wise for BG, but again that's weight I don't need to carry.

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Epi NYC112 is one of my favorite cabs and, in fact, I have a gig coming up where I intend to use that very combination with the 500. The next night, I'll probably sit a Bergie HT112 on top for a larger venue. Choices=good! :D

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    My 500 arrived on Friday!!!!!!!!!!!

Plugged it into my Epifani, and I was amazed how beautiful it sounded. I didn't adjust any settings besides volume on the 500. For my money, it does not get better than this iAMP500. No way. It makes my Epifani sound HUGE. The Epifani is a sweet cab anyway, but now even better. I started messing with some controls, and I was again amazed how awesome this amp sounds. No fan, so it is dead quiet. You can't even tell when it is on. 13 pounds too!!! I've been told it will sound even better with an EA cab. Can that be true???

All this time I thought EA stood for Euphonic Audio. It is actually Euphonic Amazing/Awesome. I have found the amp for me. No more looking. Thank you Gary, John, and Larry.

-Mike

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    So, don't beat around the bush, do you like it? :D

The only problem I have had with my iAMP was that the output started dropping out. It turned out that some iAMP 500s had a problem with the effects send and passive input jacks. This has been fixed in newer models. I am only bringing it up because both problems have a workaround.

If the send effects jack goes bad: plug a short cable from the send to the return and turn the effects level all the way up. I still always carry a spare cable just in case.

The passive jack is only a problem if you use the active input. Switch to the passive input and lower the gain.

The customer support at EA was way way beyond expectations. I sent the email about the dropouts on a saturday hoping for a reply on the next working day (monday). I got an email from Larry on saturday saying he had passed the question on to Gary. On sunday, Gary emailed the workaround, which solved the problem. I had a very successful gig the next Friday with the workaround.

Gary then sent me two new jacks which I replaced *without* voiding the warranty! I was one very happy customer.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Awesome! I am glad that you like it!

Tom.