1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Euphonic Audio iAMP 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iri5hpunk21, Mar 30, 2009.

1. iri5hpunk21

iri5hpunk21

Feb 1, 2009
    So I just got the above mentioned head and want to get the most juice out of it as possible. Any suggestions for set-ups?

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I think you mean what cabs. I have this suggestion from three years with an iAMP800 and two EA cabs, crank the pre. Like to 3:00 and you will discover this warm fat loud amp. Just crank your Master for what you need.
    I discovered this after getting tepid tone and volume with the pre up to 11:00 and the Master up to 12:00.
    In fact Tom B. is the one who told me that one of the least efficient and effective settings is pre and master at 12:00. Just weak.:eek:

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    read the owners manual first so you don't overload any inputs.

FIRST STAGE OVERLOAD INDICATOR: A red warning light indicates when excessive input, dangerous clipping or distortion levels are being sent into this critical first stage of the iAMPĀ®600. If this happens, engage the -10dB/0dB PAD (see above).

OUTPUT CLIP LED: Indicates when the amplifier output stage is receiving an excessive signal that will induce clipping in the power amplifier. Occasional flickering of LED is okay, sustained illumination is not.

here is the pdf...
    http://www.eaamps.com/manuals/iAMP600Man.pdf

4. The 600 is a fabulous amp, and IMO doesn't have some of the strange characteristics of the iAmp800. It is louder, punchier and warmer (it's, I believe a class A/B amp like the old 350, not the class D amps that the later iAmps used that ended up having some issues).

GREAT amp.... it's louder and fuller than the 800 IMO and IME, and is more even sounding to my ear, and tighter in the low end.

You don't need to do anything special. It cranks at 4ohms!

5. iri5hpunk21

iri5hpunk21

Feb 1, 2009
    i have the manual. im just really new to these bigger setups... i've always used combo amps before, so this whole ohmage this is kinda new to me haha. So it delivers 600W @ 4ohms. 2 8 ohm cabs = a 4 ohm load. So I need 2 cabs rated at about 300W @ 8 ohms to get the proper load, right?

6. The only way you can do a 'non proper load' is to use a combination of cabs that result in a nominal impedance below the minimum safe operating level, which I believe is 4ohms on the iAmp600.

It's no different than a combo amp, which typically has an 8ohm internal speaker and an amp that is safe to 4ohms.

So, you are fine running into a single 8ohm cab, you just won't get the maximum power from the amp. The optimal cab configuration for that very nice amp is IMO one large 4ohm cab (like a 212 or 410) or two smaller 8ohm cabs (like 112's or 210's or 115's).

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The iAMP 600 and iAMP 350 are the predecessors to the iAMP 800 and iAMP 500. The output sections and power supplys differ between the two series, but the preamps are actually very similar (the 600 being similar to the 800, and the 350 being similar to the 500).

I own all four (plus the iAMP 200), and IME, the input gain on the 600/800 needs to be driven harder than that on the 350/500 for best results. So, my advice is always to crank the input gain up to the point that is just shy of clipping (and I agree with the cautions above that you don't want to actually clip the signal). Think of the input as something more akin to the individual channel slider on a mixing console. You want a nice healty signal (but stay out of clipping). Then, adjust the Master volume to taste.

This is an excellent head, IMHO. Enjoy! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

Tom.

8. +1, although I would say that all amps with solid state preamps designed to be clean should be run this way, set just before input clip level and ignore the absolute level of the gain knob. On some amps and with some instrument output levels, this can be 9 o'clock. With other amps with different input pads and gain control tapers, this could be 3 o'clock with the same bass.

(I know you know this, but just making clear to other readers that, while the iAmp's input and master seem to have a more non-linear taper requiring the knobs to be turned to a higher absolute level, there is nothing 'different' about the logic of setting them).

I really like that 350/600 Series of iAmp... reliable, quiet, punchy!

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Right on. And IME, the "proper" input level setting on the iAMP 600/800 is much closer to "all the way up" than it may be on other heads (including the 350/500).

10. +1 My TecAmp head is a bit similar, with both the input gain and master having to be set at absolute higher levels than, for example, the Markbass or Thunderfunk or Eden heads, that really reach 'max' level early in the taper.

I've grown to like this design that the iAmps, Glocks, and TecAmps use. It's very easy to make small adjustments to volume and input level!

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I finally sold my 350 last week and prior to boxing it up did a final check with one of my VL110 cabs that I sold with it. Talk about seller's remorse... amazing amount and quality of sound from a rig that's not even knee high.

It's been my home "practice rig" along with a VL208 for the last couple of years and I miss all three already. But I'll be okay.
    ;)

12. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    wasn't the 600 one of the amps made by Ashdown for Iamp?

13. I believe so, and unfortunately, IMO, it was the high point of that amplifier line.

14. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    agreed

15. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    The iAmp that Ashdown made for EA is the original version, the one that was just called the iAmp (no number). Some call this one the "UK" iAmp. The power amp board in this version is the same as used in the original model Ashdown ABM500.

The iAmp 600 was the next generation, and was not made by Ashdown. Design and features of the iAmp 600 were very similar to the UK version. The main difference was in the power amp. Also the iAmp 600 added a second speakon jack and the fans were located on the side of the chassis.

Either one is a fine choice, but the iAmp 600 will outperform the original version if you're playing really loud. As already noted by others, some prefer the sound of the 600 to the later generation iAmp models.

16. Thanks for the clarification. I was never exactly clear when the Ashdown thing ended.

I assume the 'white face iAmp500' that is being considered in another thread is the 'Ashdown' model?

17. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    There are two white face iAmps.

The original UK model says "iAmp" on the face plate, and it has removable white rack ears. It's rated 500 watts RMS into 4 ohms, but I don't think they referred to it as the "iAmp 500" when it was in production. The fans are on the rear panel and it has one speakon jack.

The iAmp 600 says "iAmp 600" on the face plate, and the rack ears and face plate are usually a single integrated piece (although I have seen a few with no rack ears). The fans are on the side panel, and it has two speakon jacks.

18. Yeah, that's the one he's talking about the white face model with the 500 watt power rating. That's a nice amp, as is the 600.

19. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Do you want me to come over?:crying::bawl:

20. Great little amp. I always hoped the iAmp800 would be a 'loud' 350. NOT! (same thing with the LMII and the SD800 IMO and IME).

Edit: To be clear, not that the SD800 or iAmp800 sound 'bad', just VERY different from their class A/B counterparts... surprisingly different since the preamps are very similar if not identical.