1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Euphonic Audio iAmp 800 - Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sithian, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Sithian

Sithian Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    New Jersey
    Howdy,

I may pull the trigger on a Euphonic Audio iAmp 800 soon and am looking for opinions. I hear that the amp does not color the tone at all- I tend to play flat on the amp and dial in tones off of the bass, which is what makes this amp very interesting.

I also use 2 EA VL-210 amps- I am hoping this will pair as nicely as I think it will, and will be able to give sufficient power- I play alot of classic rock gigs... Let me know what you think...

2. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    EA rocks! A flat, uncolored sound is what they are known for and the 800 is their flagship amp. I've owned an old "first generation" iAMP 500 and an iAMP 200 wizzy combo. Both had clean sounds for days. The wizzy had amazing headroom for a 200 watt amp and an amazingly warm sound.
    I finally sold my 500 setup because of the weight of the VL-210 I had at the time (you know what I'm talking about.) I sold the wizzy combo to get an amp with more color, a 1X12 Mesa Scout combo. I miss the wizzy sometimes, but the Mesa is a great little "Swiss Army knife" of an amp.
    RD
    :bassist:

3. I have an iAmp 500, almost new, that I purchased from an EA endorser here on TB.
    It is a very nice and very transparent amplifier. However I have found that I personally prefer the "colored" sound of my ampeg B15-N.
    I play mostly bluesy, acoustic, and a bit of experimental music, and I prefer the fuller and definitely colored sound of the old ampeg. I play a fretless and run LaBella tapewounds.

I found that the EA has almost TOO MUCH eq capability for me. The parametrics in conjunction with the presets give you the ability to "tweak" the sound almost endlessly if that suits you to dial in precisely the sound you want.
    Actually, I'd say that the iAmp is surgically clean. And as an old fart I've discovered that's not what I am looking for.
    It's a great rig, but I am going to sell mine.

4. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have an iAmp800. The EQ is easily the most versatile of any head I've ever played, and I tend to rely on it more for tone shaping than I rely on my bass.

5. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have not heard too much from this amp in a long time. I had it also. To my ear setting it flat was at its best for live performances. I also had the EA VL210B with the 105oz magnets. Those cabinets were nice. Did not have a sizzle top end but sweet all the same. Had a nice bottom end for a 210. But you know that and you want to know about the 800 amp.
    Its clean and again at its best flat. If you like that than its for you. I did not have it for too long. It wasn't for me. I like the amp to be a little warmer. Not that you can't get a deep bottom end out of it, but to me it was not a very warm sounding amp. But I can't say its a bad amp either. Certainly a good match for many.

6. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I run the iamp 800 with either my NL210 or NM410 and I love the sound of it. I usually don't use the EQ or the contours and that's what works for me. I know there have been some concerns with the iamp with hiss and maybe another issue that I can't think of but mine works great. I would say it does have a nice transparent sound, which some people like and some don't. I think with the two cabs you are running, you should have more than enough power to get plenty loud.

7. Lobaw

Lobaw

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I presently have the IAMP 800 and would echo the many comments from earlier in this thread when using an electric bass- the amp is very clean sounding, but has a very versatile EQ. I use it with 2 Epifani T-112's, 2 Acme Low BI's, or a VL208 and VL110. Each of these combinations tend to have a very similar sound with this amp. You can get a smooth low end with clean and clear mids and highs. The EQ is surgically good. Having said all of that, I had a WT800 before owning the IAMP, which was very warm sounding, and liked the sound imparted by that amp a bit better. I probably will gravitate back to the Eden. Do try to listen to one before you buy. FWIW, its my impression that the earlier generation of IAMPs had a different sound/voicing. Hope this helps. Enjoy.

8. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I much prefer the "transparent" tone of my iAmp 800. It allows the personality of the bass to shine through; the versatile tone-shaping EQ section allows for radical or fine tuning of the input tone. I just love it

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Me too. It allows the character of your bass to come through. Some folks like more color and there are other amps for them. I use basses with big personality so the amp being out of the way is fine for me. I rarely used the eq. Sometimes one preset live and two fooling around in the studio.
    Secret: Crank that pre volume up to 3:00. The amp warms up. I used to think it wasn't very loud. To get that anemic sound in quality and volume put the pre and master at about 11:00 or 12. Truly horrible. Not enough pre signal being amplified. So crank that bad boy. I only discovered this after years of ownership. Also use hi quality speaker cable.

10. I use an iamp800 with a VL210 (big magnets) for my church rig. I use the amp with no eq on. I don't think it needs it. If anything, I'll hit one of the preset shaping buttons if I want to change things up a bit though. (the deep button is fun with the vl210, just because it can take it and spew out tons of low end:D)

11. I've got the EA 350 and the amp is great. I couldn't imagine needing the 800. But I bought my 350 from a friend who moved up to the 800 and loves it. Great tone and tons of bottom. And it's true if you've got a great sounding bass these amps will make them sound better, if that's even possible. I use it with my upright, my electric. upright, my Jazz and P-basses and they all sound great.
    A real safe bet and a good way to go.

12. The 800 pairs up great with the old VL cabs. The VL's can take the big bottom that the 800 puts out (I find that hard to control and somewhat problematic with a number of other speaker cabs I've used with the 800 in the past), and the very sizzly, sparkly top end removes a little of the 'dullness' that I hear in the upper mids and treble of the old VL's.

I don't particularly care for the 800 or the VL's combined with most other brands of gear, but together, they work very well. I don't particularly hear that combination as 'flat and transparent', but more fat and big with the iAmp set 'flat'.

I would not recommend the new NL210's, nor the iAmp500, but the 800/VL's is pretty sweet!

13. I have the iAmp 800 and it's a very clean, focused amp with very flexible EQ, if you need it. I run mine hard at 2 ohms and it's never protested, AND it doesn't have a fan. Lightweight. Customer Service is top notch. You can't go too wrong with this amp.

Dr Funk likes this.
  14. Sithian

Sithian Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    New Jersey
    Hmm interesting feedback- I am looking for tight, punchy, clean...

This sounds like it is definitely good- Also considering Eden Wt800-

I am cautious of this because of the "clinical and sterile" description that I keep hearing...

However, I imagine a nice sounding bass would sound killer through this- Im playing Ken Smith and MTD's at the moment...

15. I've owned an iAmp 800 for over two years...one of the first series with the built in tuner (very nice feature...wish they would have kept it).

I find that the iAmp paired with a Wizzy (either original series or M-line) is a perfect match...and I've never found it to be overly cold or sterile. You will, however, here the differences between your instruments very clearly. It is important, as mentioned earlier, to run the pre gain very hot...this greatly affects the sound of the overall iAmp tone stack and available headroom for the rig.

Having said that, I use this particular rig for the jazz trio and church bands most of all. For the rock-n-roll, cover stuff, I gravitated to a T'Funk...both for weight and its organic tone, which is noticeably warmer and "tighter" with its lows (to me).

Jay