Euphonic Audio iamp questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jzucker, Mar 2, 2006.

1. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    1) Do the older, white faced models sound the same as the newer amps other than the total output?

2) Can you convert a combo into a head by just removing the amp from the combo cab?
  2. BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    This is a quote from Gary at EA.

"The white faced iAmp500 was manufacturd by Ashdown and imported by EA before I became involved as the technical person for EA. Sadly, there were many quality issues associated with the original units that were imported, and my understanding is that it took considerable time and expense to make them right. This was the primary reason why EA recruited me for future amplifer production.

The Ashdown amps contain the basic preamp design that we still use today, although the preamps in every domestic EA amp from the iAmp600 and forward have significant performance improvements. The Ashdown units only give you about 300 watts into 4 ohms due to their underdesigned power supply and MOSFET output stage. The sound of the amps are actually very good aside from their lack of power and transient reproduction capability, and there are many still in service all over the world.

The iAmp600 was the first amp produced with my involvement. We improved on the original preamp design with better sounding parts and paired it with the biggest MOSFET amplifer and power supply that we could reasonably fit in the existing chassis size. The result was an exceptional sounding amp that paved the way for the next generation of products that contained the Class D amplifier."

Gary, EA, Inc.
  3. BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    99% of the time....yes you can.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Yeah. If you want to rack it you'll need to buy the ears though. Not sure about the feet. The amp breathes from the bottom, so it needs feet to let it do that.

Nice to see you on Talkbass, Jack!:cool:

----------Charlie Escher
  5. jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for the info. Is the 350 combo a newer designed amp?
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

It's from the middle of the timeline, but newer than the 500 and 600. Fan-cooled, with a linear output stage (not Class D like the new ones). Still a nice sounding amp. I had the 350 head for a while before I got the 800.
  7. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    you also need to look at the style of knobs that are on the amp

from what I understand the more chicken style knobs are the ash down ones and the ones with the black/red knobs like they use today are the usa models the usa one have much more power then the the ashdown ones !!
  8. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I have one of the Ashdown built iAmps and it sounds MUCH better than the current iAmp 500.
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sup jack!

why not just email the guys at EA? awesome customer support.