Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Euphonic Audio NL 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MaHei, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Has anyone had any experience with the new 2x10 NL and how does it compare to the now discontinued CXL version?

EA seems to have made quite a few changes with the NL. The weight was reduced considerably (that's good) but the specs say sensitivity is down to 100db and on paper the NL doesn't go quite as deep as the CXL (45Hz vs. 41Hz.)

Is this an improved 2x10? :confused:

2. This cabinet hasn't been produced yet. Perhaps someone played one at NAMM or Mike Dimin might chime in.

Geoff

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, if you're a EADGC player who digs the EA sound, its your dream cab, no?

4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    45Hz versus 41 Hz is barely noticeable. A lot of bass cabs don't even go below 100 Hz, really. True, the efficiency is a little lower, but still respectable, and it handles 500W.
    This new cab looks pretty cool to me, and I'll definitely be checking it out!
    LM
    :bassist:

5. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    I was looking at these too- nice weight, very good efficiency. The drawback is that they're reported to cost in excess of 900$, although if they perform as advertised, it might be worth it.

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I just received an email from John Dong at EA. He is sending me a production prototype of the NL-210 - to run it through it's paces. I am curious about A/B'ing it with my CXL-112 and running it in tandem with 112. I should have it on Fri or Mon. I just hope I don't like it TOO much (i'll need to find the $ to buy it)

Mike

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    One thing about Transmission Line designed cabintets, here is a quote from the EA site but also comes from other sources:

Mike

8. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    I ran the NL-210 proto through it's paces last week (sorry Mike, but I do have an advantage in getting to play the new products first). I think it sounds reminiscent of the older VL series, but much louder. I missed the old VL sound, and the NL is a good compromise. It's actually a little cleaner than the CXL112 and very fast with transients. JD did his speaker magic once again including a tweak that gets more low end response for the production models.

Also, I know of no plans to discontinue the CXL series although one day I believe all high performance MI speakers will be Neo. You get lightweight with high SPL. Who can complain about that?

Gary Gibilisco, Euphonic Audio, Inc.

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Gary,
    Well there goes your very cool Bassquake 2003 t-shirt that I have for you. Guess I just have to keep it for myself. :D

Mike

10. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Hi EAGary. Does the lighter weight ever cause a problem with "dancing" cabs when producing lower register notes at high SPL's? And this might cause the sound to be "not as tight". Just a thought and wondered if you considered this. BTW, I've got your CxL-112s and I'm not bitchin. Thanks.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sure - but that doesn't mean that the cab's spec of 45Hz needs to be interpreted differently. That already takes any effects of the TM into account.

It's a bit misleading (meaning in a techy way, not that they are misleading customers really) as at some frequencies those "very low frequencies" that exit the line are out of phase with the driver, so will actually lower the response at that frequency. Of course this is all part of the design - some freqs will augment, some cancel, it's about finding the right combination.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    [​IMG]

Well, as you can see, I like the VL series cabs (I picked up a VL-110 and a new Wizzy since that photo was taken :bassist: ). So, reminiscent of the VL series, much louder, and a good bit lighter, makes the NL series very attractive to me. The Million Dollar Question, though, is will we see an NL-208? :D

Later, Tom.

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Whilst EA continues to champion the cause of high-tech, ultra-lightweight and easily portable bass rigs, Tom continues to foil all their attempts to make load-in easier...

Tom:"You see, because their cabs are smaller and lighter I can take more of them to the gig and fit more of them on the stage"
    Interviewer:"Wouldn't it be easier to just take a couple of big cabs, like Ampeg 8x10"s?"
    Tom:"But then I'd only have 2 cabs on the stage, this way I have 6"
    Interviewer:"But 2 Ampegs would look as big and be as loud as 6 EAs"
    Tom:"But 6 is better than 2. In fact it's 3 times as good!"

Alex

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    ROTFL!!!!!!

:p

I set that rig up partly as a joke (our rhythm guitar player was playing the "I need to be a bit louder" game - needless to say, I put him in his place!), and partly because there was no way I could even remotely justify bringing all of those cabs to any of our other gigs.

I must say, though, that it seriously sounded good! Talk about moving air! And the nice thing is, that I can lug each one of those cabs up and down my basement steps by myself, which is a plus. Sure, I make 30 or 40 trips, but it's still easier than lugging an 8x10 by yourself! ;)

Tom.

P.S.
    We had a sound guy cancel on us for our gig this weekend, so I am going to use the CX-310 for my bass rig, and incorporate the two VL-210B's and two of the VL-208's into a makeshift PA. Wish me luck!

15. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Good luck! I've done a few gigs using my Acme Low-B2 cabs as a stereo PA - it works very well as long as you don't get any serious feedback (hearing my old Mackie M1400 attempting to put 500W into each of the Acme's tweeters is not nice, though the flash as the bulb blows is quite cool...)

Does anyone else own an EA 3x10"? I get the impression they only sold a handful. I wonder if they'd consider making an NL310 - that would be very nice indeed.

Alex

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Well guys, I got to really play with the NL-210 prototype yesterday. WOW! the sound is so huge. It was hard to believe just how big and warm the sound is. Like all EA gear it still has a full bandwidth response, but it is warm and wonderful. The tweeter control really makes a big difference with this unit and dialing it up gave me the presence that I need. It is a warmer sound than the Cxl-112, but still has the defintion.

The shipping weight on the UPS label was 53 lbs. Remove 10-11 pounds for the packing material and the cabinet comes in at about 42 pounds. This particular cab is a bit lighter than my Cxl-112. Although they are supposed to weigh the same, there could be some difference in the wood, etc that makes it lighter.

So far, I am very impressed. I was also able to find all the resonant frequencies in my house (my rafters are a G).

Mike

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Mike:

Is it warm, as in VL-series warm, or is it closer to Wizzy warm? Also, are you saying that it has more pronounced highs than your CxL-112?

More, more, more!

Thanks, Tom.

18. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Warm like a VL more so than the Wizzy. It does not have the pronounced highs of the Cxl-112. It is warmer throughout the bandwidth. You need to kick in a bit more of the tweeter on the NL210 than you would on the CXL-112 to get the definition in the highs. I think it is due to the overall warmth of the cabinet. I will feed you more as I play more, but I cannot tell you just how impressed I was with the 210, I feel like I want to carry it around with me everyday and say, to anyone who will listen, "you gotta hear this!"

The combination of the 210 and 112 is truly unbelieveable - seemless, smooth as glass with all the benefits of each cabinet, big warm lows, clearly defined and present mids and glass like high end.

The only drawback is that everytime I really turn it up, my house starts to shake

Mike

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Consider my appetite whetted!

Thanks for the review!

Tom.

20. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Oh Great!:)
    Just what I need to hear!
    ;)

I had the VL-110's and switched to CXL-110's. Now I have a CXL-112 as well. Guess what I have to buy now?!!! Hello. . . Dave? Club Bass?

Thanks for the reviews,
    LM:bassist: