1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Euphonic Audio NL210 vs. M-Line Wizzy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mystic Michael, May 4, 2010.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Anyone have any thoughts on how these two cabs compare and contrast? Specifically with regard to deep, full low end, and smoothness & balance from the lows, through the mids, to the highs?

I get that the NL210 goes higher due to the separate tweeter. But does either cab excel at an application that the other does not (i.e. smooth jazz, electronica, rock, etc.)?

Impressions please? :meh:

MM

2. I believe the NL210 is discontinued (per a post on the EQ mega thread by a TBer who talked with the company speaker designer recently). I assume there will be a redesigned model eventually. You might want to PM Mike Dimin, who is a company rep and TB member, to get the scoop.

The NL210 is, as you suspect, more full range, deeper, brighter, everything than the more mid present and organic Wizzy (I've never played the larger M-Line though.. I assume the low end on that would rival the NL210, but obviously will sound a bit more old school.... EA markets the Wizzy as the new 'fliptop'.... so again, it is meant to sound a bit old school).

3. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    It could have been me. They told me a few months ago that the NL210 was going to be replaced by a Wizzy 210. As I recall it was to be announced late in the first quarter of 2010.

4. Look at the frequency ranges to compare the two. As I recall the range of human hearing is 20hz to 20khz. A speaker that covers that range would pretty much take care of any needs you have. I believe the Wizzy line cuts off the lows and the highs, which is probably fine for acoustic bass, but if you are playing electric bass you may want the broader range, especially if you are playing an extended range instrument. I believe they have a CL line now that overs that range. Of course it is a little more expense than the Wizzy speaker

5. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Interesting. I'm going to take a wild guess that the new Wizzy 2x10 will have the same sort of M-Line structure as the current Wizzy M-Line 1x12. Or at least one would hope so. That's a big part of the appeal... :meh:

MM

6. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I've tried both, and found the NL210 to be considerably better in all respects, except portability. The depth of that cab is wonderful, and it maintains a full-range sensitivity while somehow preserving the lower-end heft of the amp I played with it. (The DB750.) The Wizzy sounded far thinner, especially in the low end, though perhaps a little more prominent in the punch factor. The Wizzy was a tinier box (1x12), so it wasn't really a fair fight.

The NL210 is an awesome box. I loved it.

7. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'm not convinced that we're all on the same page here. There is the regular Wizzy 1x12, and there is the M-Line Wizzy 1x12. I was referring strictly to the latter - the 1x12 with the larger dimensions, the M-Line porting system, and the deeper tone.

Is this the Wizzy to which you both referred as well?

MM

8. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    I have both cabs. One on one its not a fair fight, the NL-210 wins easily. Two Wizzies 1 M-Line and 1 reg. Wizzy against one NL-210, I like the Wizzies better. There is a distinct tone difference with the NL-210 being more articulate but for me I like the beefy low mid punch of the Wizzies. there is enough highs to give the notes deffinition but not sparkle. The amp I use is an Iamp800. Both are excellent cabs, so it will depend on what sound you are looking for.

9. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    My mistake. I wasn't referring to the M-Line.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The NL-210 is more smooth and balanced, and yes, with the tweeter, it has a lot more high end content. The M-line Wizzy has more midrange punch, and sounds warmer/rounder, and not quite as refined as the NL-210. Both of them go quite deep for boxes their size (and yes, the regular Wizzy is not as extended in the low end as either of these), though the NL-210 seems to go a bit deeper and sounds a bit bigger down low.

So, IME/IMHO, the summary would read: close comparison in the low-end department (slightly more depth and bigger lows from the NL-210, different midrange characters (more punchy and present with the M-line), and more high-end extension from the tweeter-equipped NL-210.

YMMV, of course. :cool:

Tom.

11. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Thanks, Tom...

MM