Euphonic Audio recording question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Dec 1, 2004.

1. We are in the studio this Saturday to record a three song demo, and I'm using the EA VL-210 for the first time recording. What I'm wondering is.. Where should we place the mic? The cab seems to put out the best sound 10 or more feet away. Should I still place the mic near the cone? The last recording I used my ampeg BXT210M, and I placed it about 4 inches off the grill, in the center of the cone.

Sorry if this the wrong forum to post this.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you can, try a couple of different positions. there are no hard and fast rules. you can even try settign up a ribbon mic far enough away that you don't damage it. these can sound awesome.
  3. My mic choices are Shure Beta52a, Shure PG52 or the old standby the allmighty sm57.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm with IvanMike. Try several mic's in several positions. For starters, I'd put the 57 close mic'd on one of the 10's, and one of the 52's in the "sweet spot" 10' away.

Are you also recording a direct signal? If not, I'd recommend that you do (if that's an option). I found that some of my best results were with a blend of direct and mic'd signals. Of course, keep a wary eye (ear, actually) out for phase issues.

Good luck. That is a killer sounding cab that should record well for you.
  5. From what I was told, we've got 24 channels to work with. So I'm sure there is room to add a direct signal also. Is it just an "ear" thing, or is there some science to how much mic compared to direct to use in the mix? Sorry I seem so needy on the subject, but this is the first time I get to put input into producing and not just told how my bass will sound.
  6. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I think it's an ear thing. There's often more signal at the extremes in the direct signal, so it's useful for filling out the sound and getting more clarity on top (maybe too much depending on the style). but in your case you have a very wide-range cab and I haven't recorded like that yet so I can't predict.

Try tombowlus' suggestion if you have the time to mess around,
    but beware that a 10 foot difference in mic proximity will give you a roughly 10 ms delay that will act as a comb filter. Attacks might sound blurred and there will be broad peaks in the frequency response at (let's see if i get this right) roughly 100 Hz, 200 Hz, 300 Hz, 400 Hz etc with sharp nulls in the response between the peaks. You'll also get plenty of room sound in the far mic and the room's own freq response will come into play. All told this can be a cool effect (sorta like a non-moving flanger) and has been used to great effect on a lot of guitar, vocal, and drum sounds (Zeppelin anyone?) but I have never tried it on bass myself. It might sound great or awful :)
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good point!
  8. Will you record the bass alone or together with drums and guitars in the room?