Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Euphonic Audio. Scha-weet!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Gollihur, Jul 27, 2000.

1. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    So I took a day off yesterday and my Dad and I made a day trip up to take a look and listen to EA cabinets (Dad is hot for a new sound.) I can only say... "Wow." Those little cabinets take a good bit of power, but they pack a lot of punch. Dad bought a 2x8" and a 2x10" - and they reproduced the B string with amazing clarity and punch.

If you're looking for high-end cabs - take a look at these. If I could afford them (or anything else) right now, I'd consider them.

Just an unsolicited impression. [​IMG]

------------------
    Mark Gollihur
    Bassist, Second Story
    http://www.second-story.net
    http://www.mp3.com/secondstory

2. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Damn, I keep hearing nothing but good things about these cabs, but nobody here carries them. About how much for each cab?

3. I agree. I have a 208 cab and I have never had such a great amplified tone with my Double Bass. I used to use GK(mb150e112) or a SWR baby blue. I'm going to get a second one for funk gigs on electric. I puchased mine from Club Bass in Toronto for about 1100 Canadian dollars.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah...I came REALLY close to buying one before I came across my EBS stuff. What I remember with EA, and I played several setups, was that it had the most accurate reproduction of my "true" bass tone I've ever heard! And, for such little suckers, they really do get low!

Obviously, I'd found a cabinet that I liked more (EBS 4x10), but it was a very difficult decision to not go with the EA! Quite impressive!

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The 2x8 lists for $995, the 2x10 lists at $1250, I believe. They each have a pair of 5 1/4" midrange speakers plus a 4 3/16 tweeter. Their web site, with lots of details, is at http://www.euphonicaudio.com

------------------
    - Bob
    eclectic bass - <A HREF="http://www.gollihur.com/bass.html" TARGET=_blank>
    http://www.gollihur.com/bass.html</A>
    <A HREF="http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/basslink.html" TARGET=_blank>
    DoubleBass LINKS page -
    http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/basslink.html</A>

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I too have a VL208 cab and would consider it the best bass cab I've ever come across - money no object.

If you want a review with pictures, there's one on Guitarist magazine's (incorporating Bassist)website :
    http://www.guitarist.co.uk/gear/gear_page.asp?ID=1161

7. DaveTomasi

DaveTomasi Gold Supporting Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Bruce (or anyone else who would like to help),

Would you be able to offer an opinion on how your VL208 might compare to an Eden 410XLT? I love my Eden, but it is a heavy beast (98 lbs.) to lug up and down stairs etc.

8. Dave, I was able to A/B my EA208 cab a few weeks ago with an Eden 410xlt at sound check with a funk band. The 208 cab can't really compete with the 410 but keep in mind they are different animals. The EA cabs offer a flat response while the Edens have that low mid signature. I am planning to get a second 208 cab soon. Two of these cabs will kick the Edens butt in my opinion. Buying two EA cabs is a little more expensive but keep in mind they are less than half the size of the 410 and half the weight! I was thinking about going the 410 route but having two smaller cabs offers more flexibility as I can leave one at home for smaller gigs. EA also makes a 210 cab that gives the Eden a run for its money.

9. Bruce Lindfield

I tend to agree - a 2 X 8 isn't going to be as loud as a 4 X 10, but for larger gigs I am happier to use two cabs that are light in themselves, rather than one big one, that I can't lift.

Who cares how many trips I have to make to the car, as long as I don't injure my back again? If you've ever had real back pain, you will do anything to avoid it - women have told me that it's worse than delivering a baby!

At the moment I use it with a Hartke 1 X 15 transporter which is also light, but I intend to buy another EA cab as soon as I've paid off the last one (bought on interest-free credit!)- maybe a 1 X 10, so I get the stack as reviewed in the Guitarist magazine link I included above. I'm pretty sure this set-up would give a 410XLT a run for it's money!

[​IMG]

The main benefit for me, is that I do a lot of smaller Jazz - "acoustic" gigs and the EA, works very well for this on it's own - clear and it also blends well with the acoustic instruments.

[This message has been edited by Bruce Lindfield (edited August 01, 2000).]

10. DaveTomasi

DaveTomasi Gold Supporting Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Bass Boy & Bruce,

Thanks for the input.

Bruce, I hear you concerning back pain. I've had lower back pain most of my adult life. For me, I would rather make several more trips to the car any day.

I would like to ask a few more questions of you please.

Did either of you try out the VL210? If so, what is your opinion of the VL210 versus the VL208? Is the $255.00 and 22 pounds worth the sound difference.

Thanks for your help in advance.

11. Dave, I tried out the 210 at the same time as the 208. The 210 definately kicks a little more than the 208 but it is also about twenty pounds heavier. The problem I am facing is if I should get a second 208 or a 210. I went to EA because I loved the flat response and the portability. The 208 weighs about 48 pounds while I believe the 210 is 70 pounds. Although fairly light for a 210 with this output it is getting on the heavier side of things for me. (Compared to an Eden 410 it's really light! [​IMG] ) Both are great cabs though. The 208 handles the low B really well, the 210 eats it up. If you play upright I recommend the 208 cab. It is the best sounding cab I have ever tried for my double bass. It sounds great for my electric as well but if you are like me and are used to that Eden signature it will take a bit of getting used to. The sound is way cleaner and may make you want to play louder at first. Good luck.
    Randy

12. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    I already have my EA 2x10 and am waiting for the 2x8 to be built and sent in a couple weeks. I could not adequately audition both because the 2x10 he had a problem with one of the drivers (Larry's son plays bass in a punk band), but decided to go for one of each for their differences and hopefully complimentary characters.

Larry Ullman, co-founder of EA explained during our visit that the 2x10 has a slightly rounder sounding bottom, and that the 2x8 has a bit more clarity and reach in the mids, simply because of the character of each speaker. The response of the 8 reaches higher than the ten. I won't know until the other cabinet reaches me if 2 2x8s may have been a better choice or if the two different cabs will complement each other.

I have only thusfar played the 2x10 out alongside my Eden 2x12 (soon to be sold) at an outdoor gig last night, and the odd setup and sound really didn't give me much of an opportunity to balance the two very well or form an opinion. I'll use the same combination Saturday night in a familiar club, so maybe I'll have a better feel for the 2x10 as well as a more stable environment; I'm going to try and put them side by side and use one, then the other. Only thing is I won't have a lot of watts for the 8 ohm EA cabinet in that situation.

I am really looking forward to getting the 2x8, which I'll drive in parallel with the 2x10 with the availability of 1100 watts.

------------------
    - Bob
    eclectic bass - <A HREF="http://www.gollihur.com/bass.html" TARGET=_blank>
    http://www.gollihur.com/bass.html</A>
    <A HREF="http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/basslink.html" TARGET=_blank>
    DoubleBass LINKS page -
    http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/basslink.html</A>

13. I bought an EA 2x10 after comparing to Eden 4x10, SWR 4x10, and EBS 4x10 (the cab for the Fafner head). The Euphonic Audio really has superb tone w/o coloring the bass. However, it does need a lot of power to run them.

14. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Have any of you playing through EA speakers found that the sound you had (and liked) when first using the speakers is being modified by you the more you use them? I have found that I'm boosting more mids and high end on the bass where originally I was rolling these two controls off more.

I don't know if I'm hearing things differently or if the more I hear what these speakers can do for clarity of the bass, the better it is for me.

Is this making sense?

15. Laker,

I guess it depends on your previous cab. The EAs have a relatively flat sound. So if your prevous cab accentuated the lows and highs, you might be used to that tone and compensate for this abscence of "cab eq" or color with the EA. I find the lack of coloration from the EA allows for a more versatile cabinet; especially with active on-board bass electronics.

16. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    JimS, I am not thinking in terms of how the EA's sound in relation to other cabinets, but how my perception of their (the VL210's) sound has changed in the time I've been using them. I am running the tone controls on my Lakland flat at this time where I had been rolling the highs and mids off a bit when I first stated using the EA's.

The more I use these speakers, the more I get into the sound of my bass, so I find I am listening more and still making small adjustments. I guess what I found sonically pleasing at first just keeps evolving.

17. While the EA 2x10 sounds great, it is very inefficient. I kept slamming the output clip limiter lights on my Eden WT-500 so easily.

Today I upgraded my amp head from an Eden WT-500 to the WT-800 which I bridge and run in mono to get the full 800w output. It's a nice diffence with some more output but noticeably better tone and clarity. I can still ping the the ouput lights on the Eden but any more power and I'd probably damage my ears. Neverthelss, another EA 2x10 or Eden 4x10 XLT would help.

18. I'm frustrated. Am I crazy? I'm running an Eden WT-800 bridged mono to get full power into the 8 ohm EA 2x10 cab. Nevertheless I am clipping when I slap my low E or turn up the bass eq on my bass's Sadowsky on-board preamp. I can't believe I need more headroom with 800 watts!!

Anybody else have this encounter? I know EA is power hungry but this is surprising to me (recall I'm first a guitar player and 100 watts from my tube Soldano SLO-100 is overkill for almost any situation so I'm shocked by number of watts needed for bass).

I don't want to add another cab because that defeats the beauty of the small, portable but great sounding EA. Replace the EA with a more efficient Eden 4x10 XLT, other brand of cabinet, ditch my head for a more powerful head or rack set-up? Suggestions? Comments?

19. Bruce Lindfield

But is the sound distorting? I have seen bass players with a great sound, but the lights on all the time. I do find that the lights on my WT-300 come on a lot but I just try to judge by ear. I always ignore the input one, but on the output, I have found that I can have the light flashing most of the time and the sound is still very clean.

20. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    I was hitting the clip light last Sat. on my Crown CE1000 (allegedly 1100w@4 ohms) into an EA 208 and 210. Didn't hear any audible distortion, but I also was expecting/hoping/praying that amount of power to be sufficient. Regardless, the damn things sounded wonderful and if I do eventually need more watts it will just be another sacrifice for good sound. Oh, my aching back (and wallet).