Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Euphonic Audio Stack-iAMP800/NL210/CXL-112L

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Olympus, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Hello Everybody,

I am interested in hearing opinions and thoughts on the above EA stack. (iAMP800/NL210/CXL-112L)

I would especially like to hear from people who have used this gear all together or if you have heard anybody using this rig.

At this stage the speaker cabinets are my main concern if this is a good combination or should I be looking at getting 2 NL210 cabs or 2 CXL 112L cabs.

I plays all styles of music, finger and slap style and mainly 5 string bass. Venues range from 100 to 1000 people, indoor and outdoor.

Please feel free to suggest other brands if they will suit my needs better. There is other highend stuff available here in Melbourne, it's just that it is so expensive.

I have been saving my pennies for a while to get a good upmarket rig. Now I see EA is here in Australia and the importer is offering direct online prices I'm hoping I can pickup some good gear at a bargain price.

Thanks Everybody, look forward to your posts.

2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Cabinets:
    That's the same cab setup that I use. The cxl-112 (mine is the older not light version) and the nl-210 synergize well. I can't imagine anyone being disapointed with EA cabs. Then again, I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't like eating green olives stuffed with minced anchovies straight out of the can, so what do I know. I am sold on them. Individually, the nl-210 will really belt out some volume for just a 210 and is a little fuller than the cxl-112. The cxl-112 has a pretty slight mid-bump, and goes lower than the 210. The cxl-112 is also a very "clear" sounding cab. I've never heard a cab that can reproduce harmonics as well as a cxl-112. I thought about two cxl-112's instead of the nl-210/cxl-112 setup, but am glad I got one of each. I'm surprised by the number of shows I can get away with just bringing that one nl-210 to. I am liking the cxl-112 more for fretless here lately.

Iamp:
    I used to use an iamp 800, but I don't now. I really liked the preamp and the fact that it was extremely versatile. The preamp starts completely flat and has a very flexible semi-paramteric EQ section. The presets were pretty decent also. I didn't really care for the power section however. By itself/solo'd it was fine, but on stage it always seemed to be a little lacking/thin. Wasn't me EQ'ing oddly as it sounded wonderful with the iamp's pre (same settings) into an external lead sled power amp. I use a TFB 550 now, and even though it is a little more colored than the iamp, I find it to be just as versatile, and I can dial that color out if I wanted to. I can't imagine anyone wanting to get rid of the TFB's color, but see my above comments on olives. Also seems to have more oomph in the power section too. Not neccessarily watts, but booty. You might want to try an iamp in a performance situation and not just solo'd if you can get away with it to see if you have a similar experience. Plenty of people like the iamp's and probably think I'm either crazy or too picky.

Of course, this is all my opinion. If you have them around locally, go try them out.

Good Luck!

3. Thnx Guys 4 your input.

Mike , Kael says he found the iamp800 to sound great on it's own but seemed more lacking and thinner sounding in a live application on stage.

What are your thoughts on this and have you ever had any similar experiences with this head ?

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I've never experienced it - but there are a few things that I would mention

1. EQ for the room

2. Because the EA rigs are very balanced throughout the spectrum, you should not judge it by standing right in front of the amp but rather find out how it sounds in the listening environment.

3. By reading Kael's post, it is obvious that his "ideal" tone is a colored tone. If you boost certain frequencies or add a bit of distortion you are going to get a percieved sense of more thickness or volume. Again, you need to judge this in the listening environment, not the near field.

4. I have run bass, Percusion and sax, in an outdoor venue through this rig and it could not have sounded better.

Mike

5. I have:
    - iAmp800
    - NL210
    - CXL112 (x2) ... the older non-L series.

I bought the second 112 because I found one at a decent price locally and couldn't find a used NL210 anywhere. A few months later, I found a demo NL210 and got it. In the meantime, I used the 2 CXL112s together. That rig sounded pretty punchy and clear.... very clear.... like you have new strings on all the time and the added volume over a single cab was more than welcomed. Then I tried the NL210 with one CXL112 and I have to agree with everyone here... that combo is a match made in heaven. The NL210 has tons of lows and sounds a little bigger on its own. I used to think the CXL 112 would be my favorite stand alone cab for a long time.... the NL210 changed that. I haven't tried selling the second 112 yet, and got to try out all 3 cabs one night in a room of about 150, no subs... the bass sounded HUGE.

Since then, I have used the 210 on its own quite a few times and I think I prefer it to a single 112. I find it easier to get different sounds out of it not to say you can't make the 112 sound different. I have a few gigs coming up where I will be using the 112 + 210 combo and can't wait. Of the cabinets I own, that is still my favorite setup. I would like to try out 2 NL210s, but I think I might miss the clarity of the 112 sitting on top if I went that way.

All that to say... I don't think you can go wrong with any combination of EA cabs.

For reference, I play mostly in clubs that sit 125-300, some up to 1,000, some outdoor shows for up to a couple 1,000s. Play classic-new rock, classic-new country, some blues, folk. No slapping, rare pick, mostly fingers.

I don't have a change to compare many different cabs/heads (except for the usual large music store brands), but I would love to try out the Aguilar DB750, Schroeder, Accugroove and Bergantino cabs.

Good luck, and let us know what you went with and your impressions. Lager,

Rocky

Hope this helps,
    R

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'm thinking of a word...

and that word is "punchyouinthegutyetsoundsooosweetandhifiandyetlightestrigyoudeverbeproudtoown"

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is a phenomenal combination. You would be very happy with this, I think. :D

Tom.

8. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    A local shop has a used CXL112 for (I think) a great price. I played thru one there a few years ago and remember being impressed at how full and loud it sounded, but I never thought I'd get any EA gear because I'm on a pretty tight budget most of the time.

So my question is, would a single CXL112 be a good standalone cab? Our rehearsal room is small, so I usually can't get more than 3 or 4 feet away from my amp. And we play everything from ambient dub to Cure/Cocteau Twinsesque alternapop stuff.

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'm using my iamp 800 with a single cxl112 now (not the light version) and it sounds wonderful to my ears and I'm playing rock and it's varients. I'm looking at adding a second cab and don't know what to go for, I hear all these good things about the nl210 and cxl combo but at the same time the cxl on it's own gives me more or less what sound I want so another cxl would be the obvious choice for getting more of this.

Either way I love EA gear and the cxl is fantastic as a standalone cab

10. Thanks everybody. Great info. That's what I was looking for.

Still would like to hear from some people who may have tried 2 X NL210 boxes as to a NL-210/CXL-112 combo and what their thoughts were.

Is there a big difference ?

thanks.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I haven't directly a/b'd the two in a while, but the two NL-210's to my recollection were a tad more warm/full and the CxL-112/NL-210 combo was a tad more clear/tight. Both are great, IMHO, and I would not strongly recommend one pair over the other.

Tom.

12. Sounds like the best way to decide is to hear the gear myself.

Only problem is the supplier is in Sydney, thats like 10 hrs driving.

They offer a trial period which means I may have to go that way.

Wish me luck !

13. Good luck! :smug:

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    So whats louder?

Iamp800 with 2 x cxl112?

Iamp800 with nl210 and cxl112?

Cheers

15. TaySte 2000,

Good questions. Hope someone can jump in en-lighten us both.

cheers.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    In theory, the NL-210/CxL-112L should be a tad bit louder than two NL-210's, and two CxL-112L's should be slightly louder still. But in practice, I didn't notice a big difference. Certainly, an iAMP 800 pushing two NL-210's (the theoretically 'quieter' of the two combos) gets far louder than I would even need at a gig, so I view this as somewhat of a moot point.

Tom.

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    So either way 2 cxl or the cxl and nl we're gonna be happy with the volume.

Cheers

Personally I'm leaning towards 2 cxl's just more of the same tone I love :D

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Hey, if you like it, then go for it! It's all really good at this level, just varying shades of good. :)

Please note, in writing my comment, above, I was initially thinking we were talking NL-210/NL-210 versus NL-210/CxL-112L. Sorry for the confusion. I have edited that post (the two CxL-112L's should be the loudest).

Tom.

19. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Even better if the 2 cxl's are the loudest I should be very very happy.

Thanks for the advice man

Have you ever used the DI on the Iamp at a gig what did you think of it? Also have you had any problems with Phantom Power and the DI at gig's?

Cheers Tom

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, and it worked fine! :)

No, but my mixer (Mackie Onyx 1620) has individual phantom power on/off controls on each channel.

Tom.