Euphonic Audio VL-108 amp. Speaker information

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobbyblues, Aug 27, 2018.

1. bobbyblues

bobbyblues Commercial User

Jul 19, 2008
    Middle Aston, England
    I am a luthier.
    Hi

I have an EA VL-108 cab without speakers. Can someone please suggest suitable replacements or give me the specs for them. I live in the the UK so maybe the specs will be of more use.

Thank you.

2. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    How about contacting EA.

3. bobbyblues

bobbyblues Commercial User

Jul 19, 2008
    Middle Aston, England
    I am a luthier.
    Been there, done that.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Proprietary drivers, so unless someone has actually measured them EA would be the only likely source.

5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    I'm terrified of blowing drivers in my VL110's because there is no direct replacement that I'm aware of. If EA is of no help, thats even less encouraging. ugh.

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    It doesn't look like you're getting the correct speaker. However, if you could post as much detail about the cabinet as you can (ideally the dimensions of the interior and the size of the port) then somebody may be able to recommend a correct speaker.

AstroSonic likes this.
  7. That, and if you could describe what you like about it (like tight, full or deep bass; aggressive or laid-back mids, high volume capability, etc.).

8. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    The problem with the VL driver swap stuff is 2 parts:

1, that its a 3-way design, so the performance and crossover points will be pretty different from a driver designed to carry the lows and mids before handing off the highs to a conventional tweeter. Part of what makes the VL so badass is that the sub driver only has to carry so much of the midrange, before the mid driver kicks in, so its well optimized to perform great for the low end.

2, its not a reflex/ported cab, its a transmission line, which I can only assume has some impact on the way those specific drivers are designed to behave.

Again, I would really hope EA could point you in SOME reasonable direction towards replacement, even if not offering a direct replacement. If not, they really are dropping the ball on the most hands off type of support they could possibly provide.

Passinwind likes this.
  9. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    The VL series is nearly a 20 year old line. Even as small as they are, EA would not be the only manufacturer to not have replacement parts for a model that old.

10. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I wouldnt expect them to have replacement drivers any more for that series given both the unique design and passage of time, but it seems somewhat reasonable to assume that they would have some kind of suggestion about what to pop in there to get "somewhat close" to the sound and performance of the original driver. Otherwise, its as good as a door stopper.

That being said, I wonder if the 8" drivers @Mike Arnopol is using in his new MAS18, MAS28 and B28 cabs would have the capacity to fill out the low end ala the VL series.

11. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    They are not going to suggest something that will not work. As mentioned, these are a unique design.

12. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Well, that is not surprising, but unfortunate to be sure. I'm guessing by the certainty of your post that you've been down this road with them? As an owner of a pair of VL110's I have a vested interest in this thread.

However, I can't imagine given all of the existing driver options, (between MI and pro audio), there is literally nothing out there "off the shelf" that would get you in the ballpark, to keep you from turning your cab into a planter box. I would have hoped EA could at least steer you in the right direction while assuming no personal responsibility for the outcome, as opposed to basically saying "sucks to be you".

13. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Indeed. I gave my trusty VL-208 to a double bass playing friend; I hope he never has to discover what seemingly lousy customer service EA has.

14. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    i really like the sound of their gear, but have had quality/repair issues with every cab of theirs I've owned (CXL112's, NL210) except the the VL series which are like freaking tanks. But every cab has its limit..

PS that is a seriously nice gift for a double bass player. One of the best upright cabs of all time!

15. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Mike was a longtime EA endorser, so pinging him seems like a smart idea.

wave rider and J.Wolf like this.
  16. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    I have become a serious EA VL-series junkie. The approach I have taken to the problem of replacing 8” and 10” drivers is to stockpile as many VL cabs as I can find. Currently I have two VL-208’s, two VL-110’s, one CVL-110, and one VL-210. This pretty much ensures that if a driver or drivers go out I can handle it.

17. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Southeast Penna
    You want the OEM Drivers, or nothing at all .. and afaik, there are No More 8" er's ...

That said, I have a sorta spare VL-208, also a VL-108 ... and the VL-108 is tiny and cool ... If you wanna sell that cabinet, I'm mildly interested.