Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Euphonic Audio VL-110 or VL-210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stroy05, Apr 25, 2001.

1. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    I have been searching for the right setup. I have come across the EA products and I am very interested in them. I hear people say they take alot of watts to use them properly. I am in a delima whether to to get the VL-110 or the VL-210.

I currently have a SWR Super Redhead and a Bag End 410. I have recently sold the bagend but it is still in my setup. Since I have sold the cabinet I am in search for a new one. Also I am thinking of selling the Super Redhead and get a iAmp. Should I sell the redhead or not?

Does anyone know how the VL-110 sounds with the iAmp. Is the power efficient enough for the VL-110 and still produce the frequencies for a 5 string? Or do you think that I should go for the 210 or get two 110 cabs?

I want portability which is great from EA, and that is also what I love about the redhead. I also play at many sized gigs, from church services to large venues (1000 people).

I have $1400 to spend and no more than that.
    It also doesn't matter about new or used equipment

thanks

2. Hey,
    you might want to check the thread I started:

Aguilar or Euphonic Audio?

I got some good info from several people.

I decided against the EA stuff and am going with the EBS Fafner and two Bag End 2/10" + horn.

I guess if you could find someplace to test drive them that would be best. I couldn't find anyone locally who carries them.
    Others have said the EA stuff has a very flat response. You hear exactly what you put into them.
    To some that sounds sort of cold and not so musical
    (most of us are seeking a little added warmth to our sound).
    I also contacted Beaver Felton at Bass Central and he told me that (1) VL-210 might be sufficient with the iAmp-600 but the manufacturer recommends two to realize the amps full potential.
    So much for compactness.
    If you look at their endorsers on the web site you'll notice alot of them are shown with full stacks and some are even shown with 4-5-or 6 cabs.
    He also confirmed for me that there is no substitute
    for "paper" or speaker cone surface area when it comes to getting a big bass sound.

I just decided based on the old assumption:"If it sounds too good to be true it probably is."

Keep in mind, I did not get to test EA equipment.
    I'm just sharing info I've received from others.

BTW, how was your experience with the bag end cab?
    I decided on them because together they are rated well above the 600 watts the Fafner puts out.

I had a prblem with my last rig: SWR SM-400, 1-18",
    2-10"+horn (all from SWR).
    I found there speakers did not nearly handle the wattage of the SM-400 and would puke if cranked the amp up, say past 5.
    The cones would just start popping like they were going to separate from the frames.
    I ended up adding another amp and a Hartke 4-10".
    So I was carrying 2 amps and 3 cabinets all the time.
    Don't want to go through that again.

These are the (2) Bag Ends I'm planning on:
    http://www.bagend.com/index.htm

Good Luck
    Charlie

3. I noticed the link I put in the last post doesn't work.
    The Bag End Model # is D10BX-D if you want to look and let me know what you think.

Charlie

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think that you should never really buy gear without trying it out for yourself and I think you will get lots of contradictory views if you ask in a forum like this, because tone is subjective and people are looking for different sounds - really the bottom line is whether you are happy with this yourself and whether it is loud enough for what you do.

I do think that EA cabs are the best I've ever heard and I think that one person's "warmth" is another person's (well mine anyway) muddy and unfocused! ;) But I have replied as I am interested to know why you haven't considered the VL 208 - I thought it was the best "compromise" between the 110 and 210 in terms of sound vs. portability. I have been using a VL 208 with my Eden WT300 for about 2 years now and it is great for small gigs - plenty of bottom end with my 5-string; sometimes I take it off the floor because it is too bassy!

Guitarist magazine in the UK, thought that the ultimate "portable" stack would be the iamp plus a 110 and a 208 that they described as "Nuclear Power in a suitcase for bassists. " and they have a review online that you can read:

http://www.guitarist.co.uk/gear/gear_page.asp?ID=1161

5. I agree completely that you should allways make decisions based on what you hear yourself.

Unfortunately I can't find anyone locally who carries EA.

Also I should clarify that those who told me they thought the EA sounded "sterile" were refering more to the iAmp-600 than the cabinets, and also said that Edens were much warmer.

Hope you can find one to try out.

--Charlie

6. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Thanks you guys...

But do you know how VL-110 would sound as an extension cab with the redhead which already has two ten's. Would this work or should I get rid of the redhead and use separates.

I am going to Austin to try them sometime in the near future. Since you have mentioned the 208 I will definitely check it out.

What would be a great setup for powering the EA's say the VL-110 and 208. Would a Aguilar or Demeter pre and some 800-1000w amp work fine? What other preamps are there that are great?

Thanks

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What are you trying to accomplish with this?

I've tried the 208 and was duly impressed! I think it's a very full sounding cabinet! And, while it wasn't my favorite, I CAN see why it is some people's favorites! It really is a cool little cab!;)

Here's something I don't quite understand...you say you're looking for portability, but you want separates instead of an integrated unit? With what you suggest, I don't think you'd have a problem blowing the EA 110 combined with the 208. It might work well. Driving those cabs is what they're intended for, though Bruce seems to do quite well with a lot less power;)

You've got nothing to lose by just giving it a test drive. But, I'd still keep your eyes open...

8. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    how much power would be needed

9. Bruce Lindfield

For what? Is the question we're all asking. I use my WT-300 with the VL208 for small gigs - basically acoustic Jazz setups. But if it's a hall or larger, then I just add a 1X15 Harke cab and it seems to be loud enough for most things - although I don't play heavy metal or anything like this, that requires masses of bottom-end and I favour a sound with a lot of mids.

It seems from the Guitarist review, that they are using the 600 watt iamp to power the 110 and 208 together, for what they describe as a very powerful rig - but again it depends what you want to do with it. I mean 800 - 1000 watts that you mention should be enough for anything!!

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Just to agree, I personally have to question anybody who'd want to throw that much or more stage volume into an audience! Isn't that what PA systems are for?

Even Geddy Lee only travels with a 400 watt Trace Elliot and a single 4x10!

11. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Then if the iAmp works great with both of those cabs then that is probably what i should go with. I want to check it out before any atempt to purchase this set up.

How would (2)VL-110 and the iAmp 500 or 600 sound?
    Anyone out there played through this setup?

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I didn't play through 2-1x10's, but did play through 1-2x10". Of course, you'd probably notice a difference. Anyway, I found the iAmp 600 coupled with the 2x10 was amazing sounding! It's a sound that is NOT sterile, like some people claim, but is a sound that ONLY projects the sound of your bass: it's very transparent sounding. That is probably the most subjective part of an amps tone.

I say, try it!

13. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Using this setup you talk about....iAmp 600 and a 210....what is the ohm of the 210. The reason I ask is the ohm situation. If it is using one 210 at 8 ohm then you are only using about 300 watts into a 8 ohm cab. Cuz that iAmp 600 is rated 600 watts at 4 ohms. You would need (2)210 at 8 ohms to reach down to 4 ohms to get the full potential of the 600 watts at 4 ohms.

I am looking to get the most wattage out of the amp. Using (2)110 cabs at 8 ohms each reaches down to 4 ohms. At 4 ohms I can obtain 600 watts out of the iAmp 600 or 500 watts out of the iAmp 500. If I use (4)110 cabs I can get the full 1800 watts using 2 cabs for each channel of the amp.

That is my situation...

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    First of all, they handle the low "B" VERY well. Second of all, you have to try them for yourself! There are players in Chicago who gig around town with 2-1x8 cabs!

15. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Just want to throw my .02 to echo that the EA stuff is not cold - just accurate. I played an Eden Navigator/Crown through my 208 and 210, and each alone for a while, and now have a Kern and QSC with two 210Bs, and it is killer - solid as a rock and warm, real, no phonies need apply. It is the "dream rig" IMHO.

I had an EA 600w iAMP for a week to try it out, also did a set with it and the 208 and 210 - very warm, nice-sounding head, but the 600w could not compete with the 1100w of the Crown and I needed more volume. I think an iAMP and a pair of 1x10 EAs would be a killer combination; I wish my gigs didn't require so much volume or that may have been where I would have gone. I play five string regularly through all three cabs, and the 208 is amazing for its size, though I generally just take a 210 or two and will probably eventually sell the 208. I've also driven the 208 and 210 with the Acoustic Image Clarus with good success; 120w/8 ohms isn't a lot but it does a respectable job.

Anybody anywhere Atlantic City NJ is more than welcome to check out my EAs if they can't find any to try at a dealer. I think I will probably end up being a dealer for them at some time in the near future since I already sell Acoustic Image stuff.

16. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have 2 EA 208's and an EA 110, all 8 ohm cabs. I use a sunn 1200 S head which is 1200 watts at 2 ohms and guessing at around 800-900? at 4 ohms.
    I generally use the 110 for practice or a small bar gig, low volume +. I use both 208's for my other indoor gigs, and use all three on the occasional outdoor, large stage gigs with the 110 as a monitor for my drummer or the rest of the rhythm section which is on the other side of the stage from me. I've also used one 208 stacked on top of the 110 and it also sounded excellent with plenty of volume for a medium sized room playing non-eardrum breaking volume.

The size of room is of major importance here. The vl 210 is a much deeper cabinet than the 110, and definitely projects into the room more than 2 110's would, BUT, you have to have the power to push the 210 as per what has been said by others. It is also not a small 210 and is still heavy. IMO, The 2 208's is a more expensive proposition but gives you much more flexibility than a single 210. One 208 and one 210 would be absolute killer if you don't have shlep factors figured in for the 210. I feel at times that the 208s are much more portable than even the 110's + put out much much more volume. It's the way the handles are arranged. The 208's also have 2 midrange drivers and 16 inches of woofers + a large port in the front.

I agree with whoever said as there are several jobs I've already had where there was too much bass even with most of the slides on the bassy side of things on the Sunn's eq + tone knobs on my Lakland basses set flat or well below. The B strings sound excellent.

Because of the headroom, I barely have my Sunn's preamp up past 1 3/4 and the master volume set higher than about 2 1/2 as long as I have at least 2 cabinets. The sound in the "clean" channel is just that: clean as a whistle, punchy, high's lows nice mids. It's really cool.

To really push the EA's I'd recommend at least 1.5 to 2 times the wattage of the cabs for your head. I've only played through the iAmp once in Toronto at Club Bass and I feel the Sunn setup for a few hundred more (maybe not?) is a better choice even if it's not considered as "audiophile" as the iAmp.

The EA's sound great. Just make sure you have the wattage you need.

LKaye

17. Bruce Lindfield

I agree about the 208's portability - I think these are definitely the best cabinets I've ever tried on every level. As you say they are very portable and going on what people have said - like your self, I am tempted to get another one of these, although I am worried that then I might have to upgrade my 300 watt Eden amp as well. ;)

KONG said "I've heard it sounds good but does it sound good for its size or does it just plain sound good?" - well I suppose it's Yes to both on the VL208. When people say - good for their size - it's just because they can't believe how small and compact they are. So where I rehearse, they have a 4 X 12 bass cabinet and it is huge and I can't lift it on my own; but I have tried my Eden amp into it and the VL208 blows it away on every criteria and is about a quarter the size/weight!!

18. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    So what everyone is saying is that the 208 is the middle of the road cab that can do everything.

what do you mean the 208 is more portable?

How does the 208 sound compared to (2)110's. how is the low end compared?

How would a 108 and 110 sound together?

I guess what I am hearing is that the (2)208 is the best of both worlds...having the portability and the loudness and lowend of the 210. Am I getting this right?

Thank you all for your help I really appriciate it. I am just trying to figure out all the possible combinations and get the most out of that right combination.

19. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Look at the specs: http://www.euphonicaudio.com/Speaker_Cabinets/Specs_and_Prices/specs_and_prices.html -- it is small!

I don't know, but if a 210 cab will do you as would a 110 in some cases, if the $$ aren't a deterent, a pair of 110s could be more flexible. I haul around 2 210Bs much of the time and they are pretty heavy, but compact in comparison to many cabs. The 208 is quite small, but also heavy for its size, at 49lbs., but not that bad due to its more easily handled size and the well placed handles.

Pretty much; I think the 208 does not quite have the body and bottom of the 210 but it's a very close match, and the 210 will play louder IME. The 208, though, puts out more solid, tight bottom and sound than a cab that size deserves to.

BTW, I will probably be an EA dealer shortly.

20. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    The 208's don't "feel" like they weigh 49 pounds. They're much easier to carry than the 110's.

The 210's definitely move more air than the 208's. There's no question on that in my mind, but, unless you have it down to 4 ohms or you have a ton of power at 8ohms, it won't be as effective. (Same with one 208) The 210's are heavy, not more so than a 210xlt, but still much more pronounced and noticeable weight than a 208 or 1 110's.

2 110's is a good setup again if you have 750-1000 watts available IMHO, at 4 ohms total load. The 208 pushes more bottom end IMHO than one 110. It's about $125 more for the 208. I'd get one every time knowing what I know. Together they sound good, 1110 and 1208, but again you need the wattage to make it work in more situations for you.

LKaye