Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Euphonic Audio VL vs CXL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe_Atlanta, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Has anybody A/B'ed the old and new EA cabs? The specs for sensitivity and bass freq response have been raised. The EA site has a whole page saying the bass response is still great, I was wondering if that corresponded with real world experience?

I'm specifically looking at the 1X10, but any experience with the older vs newer models would be appreciated.

2. Hey Joe,

I went through similar circumstances earlier. I fell in love with the EA sound and was looking for a VL-210B. I talked with EA prior to their release of the CXL series. They explained the higher sensitivity and the slight change in response resulted in a tighter, more focused "E" and "B" while delivering slightly more "punch". Seeing that I sometimes play at higher SPLs than some bassists, their recommendation was for me to hold out for the CXL. However, you really can't go wrong with either. It really comes down to what you're playing and how much you want to cut through. The CXL has very similar characterisics to a VL, but it's slightly more "aggessive" a tad bit like a Bergantino.

Happy hearing.

3. Thanks for the review, Brandt. My small cabinet buying plans are on slow right now, the recession has hit my casual gigs pretty hard. I did buy some bungee cords to strap my old cube to my handtruck. :D

BTW, how did the Aguilar preamp work out? Maybe you could post a review.

4. Your welcome Joe. Hope your gigs pick up. It's been a little slower for us as well. Even more so since we're looking for another front man. Any ideas? Also, I talked to Doug and he may be interested in selling some VL cabs inorder to get a CXL-210. You may be able to score one at a very good price if you're interested in the smaller VL cabs.

I'm still in the "exploration mode" with the Aguilar 680. Being a solid state guy for the past 12 years, I'm "adjusting" to tubes. So far, I'm very impressed with the quality of this piece and I think it has found a new home in my rack. More to come....

5. RicMeister

RicMeister Guest

Nov 25, 2001
    Joe_Atlanta-- I purchased the next-to-last VL-210 4 ohm cabinet remaining at the Euphonic Audio factory through Bass Central. The CxL replacements have a cheaper look and I'm not sure I'd trust them. By the time you're ready for an EA cab, you probably won't have any choice but to go with one of the CxL series models. I'm extremely happy with my VL-210 and I wouldn't trade straight up for the CxL.

6. Whaaa...?

7. RicMeister

RicMeister Guest

Nov 25, 2001
    KONG-- No, I didn't get to try the CxL cab. I wouldn't mind to try one out of curiosity. To be honest, I simply don't like the look of the CxL compared to the VL. The carpet covering on the VL may be more high maintenance, but I still prefer it over the hard shell on the CxL. I know you can't "judge a cabinet" by it's cover, but the CxL just looks cheap. Besides, none of EA's new line-up is available in 4 ohm, and I wanted a 4 ohm cab.

Bottom line is that I'm very happy with my VL-210; I don't have any second thoughts of, "Damn! What if I had just gone ahead with the CxL?". Those who get the CxL can post their impressions here. It would make for interesting reading, but it's highly unlikely that I'll end up second-guessing myself.

A final note: I called Euphonic Audio the day after getting my VL-210 to ask why they had discontinued the VL series and replaced it with the CxL. The guy who talked with me was very nice, but he never identified himself (and I never thought to ask.) He felt that the CxL was a bit better in performance, but also admitted it was "cheaper", and that's a direct quote. He didn't elaborate, but I took it to mean that it wasn't as costly to build as the VL (i.e. better profit margin.) I felt more justified than ever in choosing the VL-210.

8. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I own a couple of CxL-110 cabinets. I can assure you that they do not feel at all cheap. That was a poor choice of words by the EA employee on the phone. I would imagine that the CxL cabs are less expensive to produce than the VL series, in part because the 3-way driver design has been replaced by a coaxial design. I think that the CxL's have a lower list price than comparable VL's, as well.

I like the way these cabinets sound and am amazed by their efficiency.

As always, YMMV, different strokes for different folks, etc...

9. Thanks for the feedback folks. FYI, although the factory is out of the VLs, many of the small dealers still have them. Check the dealer list on the EA website.

Do you find the low E response equal to say, the low A? I've noticed that a lot of bass guitarists run 2 of the single tens (I don't know if you're an upright player or not, profile is blank). In your opinion, would a single cab be enough for a small jazz gig?

10. I like the VL 210 better, and I love the look of the VL 210 more than the CLX. The VL 210 looks like a high end speaker cab(they probably are). I think bass central has one left like 2 months ago but eventhough the VL's are discontinued, they are still expensive.

11. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes. I don't know about a low B, though.

I am a former upright player, now I play electric exclusively. Yes, for a small jazz gig, I would use my Walter Woods 100W head with a single cab. For a somewhat larger room, I would add the second cabinet.

12. It seems to me the biggest "gripe" about the CXL is a cosmetic one. I've had VLs and CXLs side by side and both look "high-end". Even more importantly, both SOUND high-end. Euphonic is the type of company that doesn't make changes unless they feel it's an "improvement". The price drop is, as RH pointed out, a result of fewer drivers not less quality. Also, the CXL doesn't need as elaborate crossover network also lowering the cost. I've listend to both cabs and they both sound great. It really comes down to personal preferrence, but make no mistake about it EA makes some of the finest cabinets regardless of covering material.

13. Low B is not a concern for me. ;)
    Right, VL owners love theirs, CXL owners love theirs, kinda tells you something.

Thanks for the input, folks.

14. Just got one of the last ones from Bass Northwest, whooo, at last a high end portable cabinet!!!! And it's an 8 ohms, whooo. Can't wait.

15. RicMeister

RicMeister Guest

Nov 25, 2001
    ALRIGHT! Welcome to the EA VL-210 club, modulusbassist! You're gonna love it!

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Not as an A/B comparison... Just MHO on the EA cabs I've tried...

They've been said to be flat cabs/speakers, but I found them to be more bright than anything.

I don't know, if it's your thing, go for it. :)

$.02

17. RicMeister

RicMeister Guest

Nov 25, 2001
    CrawlingEye-- Maybe you had the active electronics on your bass cranked to the hilt, giving you that extra brightness.;)

Just a thought.............

18. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Passive troll maybe?

19. Welcome to the EA club, Modulusbassist. RicMeister is right, "you're gonna love it." Are you going to power the EA with the Walter Woods? I suspect it will do very well. The thing you'll find out about EA, if you haven't already, is that the cab becomes somewhat "invisible" when you're playing. You'll be able to hear yourself from various angles on stage that other cabs would require you to stand almost directly in front. Keep us posted.

20. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Actually, quite the contrary.
    I play with my EQ set flat. ;)