Euphonic Audio WZ 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supernaut, Jul 6, 2004.

1. I'm looking for some info about this cabinet, I have been hunting around for a 1X12 and this one looks very interesting and it appears to be in my price range of less than $500. my other main contender is the Aguilar GS112, which I have read much about and had a chance to play. I've never played or heard much about this EA cab, so if anyone could say how it compares to the aguilar and any info you would like to share on it.
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'm not sure about the "wizzy" :p but the cxl112 was very hifi with strong mids. too much for my taste. I didn't know what kinda sound I really wanted until I compared the cxl112 DIRECTLY with the gs112 and BINGO! In LITERALLY 10-20 seconds I knew I had found almost exactly what I didn't know I was looking for!! GS112 fat, non-boxy sound with smooth slightly subdude mids, highs are good, but not irritating like swr tweeters.
  3. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    I have a EA wizzy that i use with an iamp 500, this cab is light(29 pounds) and puts 250 w and is rated 4ohms....
    I have to tell you that i play only upright bass, but some friends of mine already played my rig with electric bass and all of them were amazed, the amount of sound which comes out of this little box is ridiculous,it has a very tight and punchy sound with a sweet high end( doesnt have a tweeter, which for me is ok since i always turned them off).. i had played with gs 112 in the past, i prefer the wizzy, i think the gs112 has more output power(300 or 350 w) but its rated at 8 ohms, so at the end of the day, the output will almost be the same, try the wizzy, its an ouststanding litle cab, i love my rig, light and with a killer tone
    Good luck

4. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I have a wizzy which I use with EBG and URB with an iAmp 500. I've owned the GS112. Both are great cabs. The wizzy has more pronounced mids, a tighter bottom, and is more portable. The GS112 would be better if you prefer to play "under" the mix as it does not cut through as well as other cabs I have tried. The aggie has a great pillowy bottom end though, and when it was behind me I almost felt like I could just lean back and settle into those lows like an EZ chair. As a single cab the aggie didn't cut it for me though as it often got buried under a dense band mix. For me the wizzy is a much better single cab solution.
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you are looking for a single 1x12 solution, and you don't need the sparkly high end from a dedicated tweeter, the Wizzy is a great solution. I own one, and IMHO, it is an extremelyl impressive little cab that does a lot of things very well, and is almost scary good as a single standalone cab, especially considering its size and weight. However, if you decide that you would like to have more than one cab in your rig (say, two 1x12's, or a 1x12/1x10), then take note that the Wizzy only comes in the 4 ohm flavor. If your head can handle 2 ohm loads, then two Wizzy's would be incredible! Again, you won't have the high end sizzle, or sparkle, but you do have plenty of articulation in the upper register.

My impression of the Wizzy is that it manages to convey some of the old school warmth, while also providing the balanced response and clarity of modern cabs. That said, it is a bit midrange present, but not dramatically so. In a side by side shootout, I prefered it to my VL-208 and my VL-110 as a standalone cab, but the VL-208/VL-110 together sounded somewhat better than the Wizzy. Considering what the VL cabs sold for compared to the Wizzy, I was very impressed by this.
  6. thanks for all the information. I have had a chance to spend some time with the Aguilar 112 and like to tone I get from it when paired with my SWR SM500, I am going to see if I can find a place to try the Wizzy. I like the Aguilar, but it seemed like it might get a little lost in the mix as a stand alone cab. the wizzy also looks like it has a good mix of vintage and modern attributes.

the Bergantino EX112 is also in my price range but I think the wizzy would be better for the money. the HT112, and Epifini T-112 also look like real nice cabs but those are more then I would like to spend right now.

at least I am feeling more educated on the topic now.
  7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    FWIW, I own two Epifani T-112's, and while they are very nice cabs in their own regard, for standalone use, I would still prefer the Wizzy. The same goes for Bergie 1x12's.

That said, if you consider the Epifani or Bergantino route, there are two combinations of cabs that are noteworthy and which sound much better than the sum of their parts. First is an Epi T-112 paired up with a T-110UL. I have this combination (and sometimes throw the second T-112 in if I need to move more air), and adding the T-110UL really brings out the upper mids (where the T-112 is somewhat lacking). The second combo is either two HT112's or the HT112/EX112 stack. With just one cab, the HT112 seems a bit weak in the low end to me. But with another HT112 or an EX112 added, it is transformed into a much more full-range rig. Both of these particular combinations are nicely balanced, very articulate setups.

Of course, two Wizzy 1x12's would be kicking, I am sure (if your amp can handle a 2 ohm load).
  8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    As you might already know - that was the design idea behind the Wizzy.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Actually, I did not know that! Well, in my opinion, John and his crew certainly hit the nail on the head, then! I just took a bunch of my EA cabs over to a friend's shop so he could try them out with his upright, and the Wizzy certainly got heads turning! People were very surprised that this little cab would put out such a big, full sound. Of course, I also had two VL-208's on hand, and that was the rig of choice. My CX-310 also sounded killer with upright. But for a small, single cab solution, the Wizzy is pretty darn amazing in my book.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Absolutely agree. Strangely, the EX112 works better for me as a stand-alone than the HT112. Of course, I mainly use it with EUB, but the EX has been a great match with my Walter Woods Ultra and EUB (NS Design).