Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Euphonic Audio

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TBONE64, Oct 28, 2003.

1. TBONE64

TBONE64 Guest

Feb 22, 2002
    Chesterfield, VA
    Okay I thought I would come to the source to ask some questions about these cabs, specifically the VL208. I know these cabs are coveted on the DB side as being the truest sounding cab for the job. Now, my question is, how do they sound for electric? I play both and I am looking for a cab that will allow me to do both.

I play blues and jump blues. I double mostly with Precisions. Do you get out of them what you put into them? Any help you give me would be great.

Thanks

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    They're nice cabs, but for electric I prefer the VL110's.

3. If you like the EA sound, I think that the CXL-112 might be up your alley. Check one out.

Geoff

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree with Geoff. I think the CXL112 would work out better. The VL208 is a great sounding cab, but it isn't very efficient. You have to feed it a ton of wattage. The CXL112 is efficient, incredibly clear sounding, and LOUD. I currently play in a Blues band(The Nightshift Blues Band), and the CXL112 is perfect. It is punchy, and sits great in the mix. I am also an Upright player, and the EA's transparent sound works great with DB. If you are after an EA, you should check this cab out.

5. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    The CXL 112 would work better when playing electric, especially P bass.

6. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    I have a pair of 208's that I use for electric bass (only) and they sound incredible!

Using the same amp I've had for years, I've never heard the subtle differences between my different basses like I do with the 208's.

I also owned 2 CXL112's and while they were more efficient (louder) and do sound great, they had no way near the character and clarity of the 208's. I use a Gramma pad under the 208's and it's the best sound I've ever had!

I also had a VL-210B and feel that the 208's have more character. Never played through a VL110, but I would guess it would be an awesome cab also.

EA people - I think it's time to re-issue the 208's!

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I still have a pair of VL-110s and still love the sound for electric bass, especially the tight low end. Now that I've heard the newer CxL cabs I still like mine. Haven't heard an EA cab I didn't like.

BTW there was a used Cxl-210 at the GC in Rockville, MD recently.

8. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    In my opinion, the VL208 was the best sounding bass cabinet ever produced whether for electric or upright. If you have the luxury of stacking two together and a little more power to get them warmed up, you simply cannot do any better. Understand however, that I am an old fart jazz player and seek the purest sonic reproduction of my instruments; I don't think they are the best choice for the more contemporary or slap player.

We discontinued the VL series due to customer demand for a more efficient, lightweight, and contemporary sounding cabinet. JD designed the CXL series to answer this demand and we have many reports from the field that he succeeded.

However, the new NL-210 has an uncanny VL characteristic to it which I think players will really enjoy. Plus, it is lightweight and has an efficiency of over 100dB so it gets loud with moderate power. The NL, I think, reinforces the classic EA sound and is a good choice for ALL playing styles. Check it out before you say it's too expensive.

Gary Gibilisco, Euphonic Audio, Inc.

9. TBONE64

TBONE64 Guest

Feb 22, 2002
    Chesterfield, VA
    Thanks, for the input. I'll keep you posted.

TBONE

10. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    ea gary,

how about an NL-208?

i think there's a certain magic in 8" speakers that contributes greatly to a pure sound.

think there's any chance?

11. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    According to John Dong, the neo magnets make the most sense in the larger speakers where there is more weight to save. Putting a neo on an 8" frame is possible, but it may not be worth it. Still, it could be something to think about.

Gary, EA, Inc.

12. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I have two Vl210B's and I will never ever trade them in. i power them with a QSC PLX 1602. They are just amazing.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Excuse me for not jumping in earlier. I was distracted by life for a bit, and my TB contributions have suffered. ;)

I have the privilege of owning a good number of EA's older cabs. Three VL-208's, two VL-210B's, one VL-110, and one CX-310. I also own a new (to me) Wizzy 1x12. With regard to the VL-208, one alone will sound great on an upright, but you really need two, or better yet three, for satisfying thump on electric. I hadn't planned on getting three, but when I found a deal too good to pass up, I picked up a third one (figuring I'd resell it). However, when I stacked it on top of my other two VL-208's, I couldn't believe the amount of low end depth and focus that it added. The step from two to three VL-208's was significantly greater than going from one to two. I have no idea why, but it is. Two VL-208's will handle a 4 string just fine, and I agree with Gary, it just doesn't get any better tonally. However, I found two to be slightly lacking in authority on a low B. With three VL-208's, you still have a managable rig (if your amp can handle 2.67 ohm), and it has gobs of low end. The B string is very full and even, and the tonal balance extends up through the range of the instrument. The VL-110 is a fairly new acquisistion, so I haven't had a chance to gig with it yet, but a VL-110/VL-208 mini stack is a great thing!

I also agree with Bass-only that the VL-208 has more character than the VL-210. The VL-210 has more low end, as you would expect, but it loses midrange definition (in comparision to the VL-208, not to other 2x10's). However, one utterly amazing characteristic of the VL-210 is that it LOVES to be driven hard! The harder you push it, the more the mids open up. Like Rick, I power my VL-210B's with a QSC, except mines a PLX 3002. :D At any rate, at 4 ohms in bridged mode, that's 3,000w for two VL-210's, and let me tell you, they have never even hinted at breaking up. The louder they get, the better they sound. I found that placing them on an Auralex Gramma pad really helped bring out the lowest notes and kept the low end very focused and tight. At lower volume gigs, the VL-208 is by far preferable to the VL-210, IMHO. However, if you are going to be slamming your cabs hard, the VL-210 handles it with no problem, whereas the VL-208's do have their limit.

The CX-310 (which was also marketed as the VL-310) was really a pleasant surprise. I also found a deal "too good to pass up" (geeze, I seem to have a lot of those...) on a used CX-310, and I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, seeing as how I already had a healthy collection of cabs. But boy was I in for a surprise. The CX-310 very nearly matches the depth, volume and clarity of two VL-210B's, but it adds a significant amount of additional high end. The range of the CX-310's coax tweeter extends well beyond that of the tweets on the VL-series cabs. One thing that I did notice with my VL-series cabs was that they didn't really have the high end zing that my Epifani cabs did. You don't really miss it when you're playing out, but you do notice it in a head to head comparision. So, if you like the extreme high end, the CX-310 does deliver, and the beauty of it is that it retains the overall character of the VL-series cabs. It is a little bit on the heavy side, but for a single cab setup, it really shines. Slap an iAMP 800 on top, and you are in business! In addition to the NL-208 (which I still say is worth producing!), I believe that an NL-310 would be a big hit.

I have posted elsewhere regarding the Wizzy, but let me just reiterate that this is a fantastic little cab. It is somewhat of a departure from the EA philosphy of building uncolored amplification products, in that it specifically does add some coloration. I am not sure how they do it, but it somehow manages to capture a warm, "old school" kind of tone, but at the same time, it maintains startling clarity and detail. I always thought warmth and "roundness" came only at the expense of clarity, but the Wizzy disproves that notion. Granted, it does not have the high end zing that a cab with a tweeter can offer, but again, once you start playing it, you really don't miss it, unless you are doing a lot of slap/pop or harmonics.

TBONE64, I would think that you would be well served by 2 (or 3!) VL-208's, a VL-208/VL-110 combo, or a Wizzy (or two). All of these rigs could handle upright or electric bass, including 5 strings. If high volume is a reality, the VL-210B's or (if you can find one) CX-310 are champs.

And of course, you will want to consider the iAMP 800 to power your killer cabs! And being stable to 2 ohms, you can power a whole tower of VL-208s!

Hope this helps, Tom.