Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Euphonic audio

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, Apr 5, 2002.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I too am looking to down size my rig. I was on the EA web site, and the cxl-210 looks really good to me. So then I went to the Bass Central site and they have vl-210. Does anybody know what the difference is?

2. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    The VL has a three way crossover as well as two 10's, two 5's (I think they're 5's) and a tweeter. The CXL has two 10's and one of them has a coaxial tweeter attached to it.

Unfortunately, I have yet to hear the new ones but from what I've heard they're very close in sound. Not exact, but close. I believe the new ones are more efficient and cost less new than the other ones due to the non-requirement for a three way crossover, separate chambers, extra speakers, etc. I believe this was their goal. I can say that I LOVED the VL 210 solely because of the three way crossover so I'm not too sure I'd like the cxl, but I'm waiting to hear. BTW, the VL series has been discontinued although you can buy replacement drivers from EA should you blow one out.

3. The CXL series still has that flat EA sound. The improved efficiency is a godsend. I loved the sound of my VL208/110 combination but it required more power than I was using. I recently purchased a CXL 112 and it has replaced the other two cabs. Its is louder, tighter and deeper than the other two cabs combined. It is also only slightly bigger than the 208. It is also replacing my Eden 210. The 112 blows the Eden away in every respect. I have also played the CXL210. It sounds very deep and smooth. It's weight is more than I like to carry though. (it's still fairly light) Definately check out the 112 if you can. You will be very suprised. An EA dealer friend of mine said he is actually selling way more 112's than 210's.

4. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks for the replies. the cxl-210 seems like the way I'll go,but I am also going to try the aggie gs112"s. Hey Bass Boy, nice to here from Canada, I love Canada, My wife is from Montreal. :D

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Hi neighbor;)

6. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Hey Brad how's it going

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Not bad. Who are you IRL? I don't think I know any bassists in Poolesville (yet).
    :)

8. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    So far, including myself, there are three bassists in Poolesville that I know of. My daughters piano teachers husband is bassist in one of the local church bands, and a guy who playes bass for a local band called Cattail Road, and me, I play for Tom Vaughn and the Roadhouse Five, formally the Dead Presidents. We'll be at Summit Station In Gaithersburg friday night. Hopefully I'll be trying out a new pair of Aggie GS112's if they come in in time

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    A pair of the GS112's is a good thing;)

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Mmm, mmm, mmmmm...

aint nothin' like a good EA setup. When i was first getting my iAMP350, i had a chance to run its paces thru an Eden D210XLT, EA's CXL210, and Aguilar GS210. compared to other guys, the EA was the "accurate" sounding cab. very open sounding with no tangible cab coloring, just the sound of your bass with a kick. also, the EA stuff just seemed to like each other better. y'all probably heard this already, but oh well...

I also a/b'ed an Aggie 1x12 and EA 1x12, and i happened to like the EA better. More clearer sounding than the Aggie GS112. At relatively low store volume levels, the Aggie GS112 was noticibly muffled sounding in comparison. but that's just IMHO. at higher volume, i'm sure the Aggie opens up some.

i ended up going the Bergantino HT112 route, cause it was much lighter than the competition and i loved the rounded edge the Bergie adds to its hifi voicing. The deeper sounding EA woulda been my pick for my 5 string, but i needed something light for all the taxis, subways, and stairs, i have to deal with... ugh... :mad:

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have had a VL208 for several years now and it is definitely the best sounding cab I've ever tried. For loud gigs I add a Hartke 1 X 15 and I'm not that happy about it, but it does put out the volume!

I was just thinking about all these great reviews about getting a CXL 112 to go with my VL 208 - (and Eden WT300) any ideas on what this would be like as combination?

12. hey bruce, i've just tested out nearly all the cabs that EA have now :)

i'm getting an iamp 350 combo when they get here in about 2 or 3 weeks.

if you'd like to know more about them then PM me and shoot.

i could give you some accurate opinions now of the 1x12, but i'm in a bit of a hurry.

later

stu

13. Bruce, if you like the 208 you'll LOVE the 112. I sold mine after buying the 112. The 112 has that same EA sound, but is about twice as loud and way deeper. I seriously doubt if you'll need the Hartke for most of your louder gigs with this thing. The 112 will definately drown out you'r 208. the sensitivity of the 208 is around 98db while the 112 is 103db. This cab really kicks.