Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Euphonic opinion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RS, Jan 13, 2001.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone have or have played the Euphonic amps and cabs? Any good? Whats the price range on those? I talked to one guy who said it was an amazing amp- very transparent. The stick player in Crimson had them, and of course he sounded awesome.

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
  3. I love my EA 2x10 cab. I tried the Eden 4x10, SWR 4x10, EBS 4x10 and thought the EA cab sounded much more beautiful and ethereal with incredibly detailed high end and tight defined lows with a very even sound.

It is <i>beautiful</i> sounding but incredibly power hungry. Make sure you've got a good power amp or plan on buying two cabs. I had an Eden WT-800 in mono and needed more headroom. I now use a Kern 777 preamp throught a Crown K2 in mono @1600 watts into the cab (8 ohms). Of course the cab can also be wired to 4 ohms. I don't recall the exact price but it was around $700 last summer.

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I had a 208 and 210 and now have a second 210 cabinet. The latest versions have the same woofers that are in the 310 cabinets, and they are more efficient (100db) and have a tighter bottom, similar to the 208's character.

The cabinets are very hi-fi, in the traditional sense of the word-- very neutral, no humps and bumps as in typical bass guitar bottoms. The 208 is an incredible little box, and I completely believe the specs -- you should hear it with my URB and with my 5 string electric. Sweet top end, mids, and real lows. Doesn't seem possible but it sure is.

They do like headroom IME; I had a Crown CE1000 driving a pair (1100w) and was clipping too often-- but keep in mind the band I'm with plays too damn loud.

I just got the second 210 so I could stack a matched pair, and replaced the Crown with a QSC 2402 - more watts in a smaller and lighter package.

They are unlike any cabs I've played through -- very revealing-- I hear things from my basses I never heard before, and EQ adjustments to my prior rig suddenly became more noticeable. Anyone near Atlantic City NJ is more than welcome to check mine out.

I had their iAMP for a week, and I liked it as well, though it didn't have the power I unfortunately need to cut through the mix. I gotta get these guys to turn down.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've got a VL208 as well - there's a long thread about these in here somewhere, that you should be able to find if you do a search.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I tried out the i-Amp with the 2x10 EA cab when I bought my current rig. My finding was that the EA setup was about as "reference" as you could get...this really lets your true bass sound come out!

It wasn't the best choice for me, since I like a little grit...I chose the EBS Fafner and EBS 4x10. The EBS cabinet in comparison is probably NOT a fair comparison, but it is more efficient than the EA 2x10...the EBS has a sensitivity rating of 111 db, about the highest on the market!

In short, I'd say that if you're looking for a pure sound, EA is about as pure as you'll ever find! It's also extremely portable gear, since a 2x10 weighs a LOT less than a 4x10, and the i-Amp is not heavy in comparison to an Aguilar power amp!

7. Regarding RAM's post, amost any cab is more efficient than the EA. Also, I don't think the cab is light: it is smaller than an a 4x10 but I recall it is just as heavy, perhaps due to the monster magnets in the EA cab.

Take these negative comments in perspective: I love my EA 2x10 cab's sound and never have second thoughts about purchasing it.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Actually, I have the feeling that these things are connected. I have tried some very efficient 1X15 cabs that sound awful - boxy and indistinct. Maybe the less efficient a cab is, the better it sounds?

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I believe this is incorrect - I think the 4x10 cab in their catalogue is rated at 103 dB (which is not too bad either). Seems too damn strange that a 4x10 should give more volume per watt than an 8x10.

10. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    O-man
    Check out the EBS web site (http://www.ebs.bass.se/), you'll find RAM's numbers.

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yeah I know, Sammy, I've been there at least hundred times, but the specs data table there says that the 4x12" cab goes down to 30 Hz whereas the text above on the same page says 40 Hz. And at the same time their catalogue (of what I've heard) says 103 dB for the 4x10". I don't know what to think anymore.

I still want that Fafner, though.

12. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Yes, I agreed with the EBS spec questions ....

But, back to the topic,

How do the EA cab's compare to the Acme cab's?

The price difference always makes me believe that if I was going in that direction, I'd go Acme.

13. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey Bob,
    What kind of music do you play? Will EA speakers hold up at that volume? That's one thing I can't understand, how do you guys with 1000+ amps find cabs that can handle the volume? PA bass bins?

curious,
    RS

14. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    I will be playing classic rock with the Kern/QSC/EA rig for the most part. Seems like the band has gotten louder and louder -- damn electronic drums! The 1100w Crown handled it for the most part, except for some peaks, and when it clipped, it was unpleasant -- and I decided life is too short for bad sound - at this stage in my life I play for enjoyment, not the bucks. I'm really pissed that this weekend's gig was cancelled -- I really want to get that rig out on a job - it sounds wonderful here at home. Gigs dry up in the Winter down the shore.

It's really not a matter of being that much louder, I just want clean peaks, and need the headroom for that -- and I also wanted to go from two 4 space SKBs to carrying one 6 space.

As far as them handling the watts - the EA VL210 cabs are rated at 500w each, so 2000w peaks shouldn't be a problem. But I have no intention of blowing them up and won't feed them more than they can safely handle.

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Here's a link that'll show that the 4x10 is 111 db, not 103 db...and, something I didn't realize...my 4x10 is apparently 4 ohms...

Have you played the Fafner? It's my personal favorite...:D

16. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm now down to an EA 110 and a 208 powered by my Sunn 1200 S. It sounds INCREDIBLE, plenty of bottom, nice clean highs, punchy, clear. I never have PA support.

Regardless of specs and db's, having more power is a good thing, BUT.....I was at Bass Central on Tuesday afternoon trying out some Laklands with another 208. What sounded excellent was a Galien Krueger RB1000 with it, and even with a 210 added. This head has 500 watts, maybe it was peaking, maybe not, but it sounded GREAT, GREAT, GREAT with finger style funk and walking.

The 208 is in MHO the best sounding cab OUNCE for OUNCE that you can get. The 210 definitely has more ooomph, but I don't want to carry it. If you're younger, older w/a strong set of arms and a back, or have roadies, get a 210 and a 208 like Rob, or is it Bob. That rig has got to be killer. I've bearly ever overpowered my 208, and will be getting another one as soon as I can sell my Aguilar DB359.

Anyone interested for 950?

old man

17. More for fun than reality (but you never know!), you folks with EA 8 and 10 cabs, what do think would sound better:

EA 2x10 and 2x8 or two EA 2x10 ?

18. Bruce Lindfield

Well "Guitarist" magazine in the UK did a very good review of an EA set up that they described as "Nuclear Power in a suitcase for bassists. "

http://www.intermusic.com/article.asp?ReviewId=1161&ArticleTable=Reviews&Channel=GTR

Thye had a 208 and a 110 - I agree that the 210 is a bit heavy and the setup described sounds as if it has enough power anyway.

This is the sort of combination I'm going for eventually - I already have the VL208.

19. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    JimS- As I stated earlier in this thread, I have had a 210 and 208 for several months, and recently bought a second 210 and replaced the woofers in my original 208. While the 210s being made several months ago had a slightly rounder and fatter quality, the newest ones with the updated woofer are tighter-sounding, more efficient, and almost identical to the 208's sound character.

Whether to have a pair of 210s or a 208 and 210 would depend on whether you'd want a smaller, slightly more portable box for some gigs or need the go to the max.

20. Bob,

I was referring strictly for superb tonal quality and not for maximal volume/output/db.