Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

euphonic vl or cxl

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by B String, May 13, 2002.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I could use opinions on getting an EA vl 110 or
    cxl 110. Is there a consensus on which sounds
    best for upright? I've got a Walter Woods with
    225 @ 8ohms. Some doubling, but mainly
    upright bass. What do ya think?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The VL series is a bit darker sounding, while the CXLs are more accurate in the upper midrange and highs-- not necessarily something we need for URB, but it is more accurate. The real advantage of most CXL series over the VL is the efficiency of the cabinets- much more sound per watt. I tend to turn the tweeter down for URB.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Can't you turn up the mids and highs on the
    vl cab? Will that bring out more of the
    "finger on the string" sound,and more punch Thanks for the benefit of your knowlege
    "all hail Bob"

4. I own a VL110 and a CXL112. The 112 is definately brighter and clearer than the 110. I think the CXL112 sounds better for my DB but I usually bring the 110 because of portability. The 110 still sounds amazing though!

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Yes, in fact I sometimes turn up the midrange and horn on electric bass gigs where I want more of that frequency range.

There seems to be two major camps of double bassists who amplify their instruments. Some like the mid-upper frequencies and string artifacts, much closer to a close-mic'd bass, and the others seem to prefer the bass from 40 feet away sound, thump and rumble only. Of course, there are those who occupy the middle ground. ;)