Euphonics iamp comparisons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I may be posting on the wrong side of the board here, but I'm guessing that the guys on this side will be more familiar with the stuff I'm talking about than the guys in the castle, so here goes:

I recently ordered a Ken Smith 6 string, which I plan to use as a doubling axe (when I switch from DB) for certain tunes in my original music group. I'm looking for a rig that can handle both instruments well and provide lots of headroom for clean sound on the DB. I'm leaning toward a Euphonics iamp, either the combo or the 750 head with a 1x12 EA cab. The place where I bought the bass claims that Bergantino cabs are better than EA, which I find hard to believe...he's pushing the Eden 400 Traveller combined with a Bergantino 12" cab, and says that this setup will absolutely outperform the iamp 350 combo. (BTW, most of the stuff I'll be playing with this group could be classified as jazz with some funk thrown in for good measure.)

Has anybody out there had a chance to A/B this gear? I can't get my hands on an iamp without ordering one, and I'd like to make as informed a decision as possible. (don't worry if you don't know how the DB will sound with it - I'm planning to take my axe out to the store soon and try out the Eden/Berg combination soon).

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks in advance.
  2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings

You're coming to join us on the Dark Side!;) You'll be dIgGiN DoZe FiElDy BaSs LiNeS b4 U know it :p just kidding.

I'm not familiar with Bergantino, but I've tried the Eden head and that sound isn't for everyone. From what I hear, EA's are supposed to be more versatile.

I would surmise that the EA 350 combo was designed with DBers in mind as well, whereas this was probably not the case with the Eden.

Hope this helps... I haven't played the EA but I've never heard anything other than rave reviews of it. Eden, on the other hand... like I said, not for everyone.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    funny enough,

i have both of those setups for my gear. actually, i own the Eden WT400, iAMP 350, and have tried it thru both cabs.

IMHO, both cabs sound amazing and are great for 5 strings. but each does have traits that differentiate themselves from one another.

the Berg 1x12 has a saucy treble end that i love with my fretless Roscoe bass. The low B string has a nice rounded definition where its just not a rumble feeling, but you actually hear the B tone. But in terms of "umph", the EA is all over the Berg. with the EA 1x12, you not only hear an articulate voice, but really feel the blast of the B. IMHO, the EA is the best 1x12 that can properly handle the B with authority ALONE. Sure, the Berg aint no wimp with the B, but the EA does it like no other.

But the only downside is that the EA's top end sounds almost sterile compared to the Berg's juicy, saucy, top-end. But with that said, had i not heard the Berg, i probably wouldnt be able to tell the diff.

On the amps, both are killer rigs too. the EA iAMP's cleaner, clearer, waaay more hifi voice is killer for funk and jazz. i actually use the EA for my electric upright stuff. and even tho, it is all solid state, i love its voicing and feel. not as sterile or fake feeling as the other amps in its class. has the immediacy of solid state, but in an organic way, if that makes any sense at all.

The Eden's has that trademark warmth that's to die for. nuff said, for the Eden...

since the EA's all solid state, there's a slightly faster response that suits my funk stuff and faster jazz runs. While the Eden has that luscious tube preamp sag that shines with my fretless, melodic stuff.

but of course, remember, i'm really oversimplifying for sake of illustration.

Both are still great for Funk, but to make even bigger generalizations, the EA's like Marcus Miller's buzz saw, clear-as-a-snap like funk, while the Eden is more a warmer pop like Vic Wooten.

but nonewithstanding my descriptions, either amp rawks da socks and is why i just went ahead and got both.
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Do you own the iamp 350 combo, or the 350 head and a 1x12" cab? I'm curious because I'm torn between getting the combo and possibly adding an extension cab for more coverage, and getting the new iamp 750 head and a 12" cab (at which point my amp fund would be exhausted). Pricewise, I could afford the combo plus an extra 10" cab for the price of the 750 and 1x12" cab. Any thoughts on the difference between these two setups? Louisville is a difficult place to buy high end gear from, since you can't try before you buy...

Thanks for the very informative post...keep it coming if you have time. The money's not exactly burning a hole through my pocket, but by the time my 6-string gets finished, I'll be losing my mind if I have to play it through a crappy amp.

Also, if I wanted to "warm" the EA up for (fretted) BG, could that be done with a (relatively inexpensive) preamp of some kind? I notice that the Eden is a tube pre with a Solid State power section. Any and all info/insight is good.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Oh, and TRASH_CANS, you've got it backward: DB is the Dark Side, which I suppose makes EDWARD FU II Darth Vader, which would make jazzbo TOFU STRINGWALKER.

....or something like that :rolleyes:

6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    np, chris

that's what we're all here for on this board.

but, as for what i own, i've got the iAMP 350 head, Eden WT400, and a Bergantino 1x12. With the iAMP, i had the chance to try it numerous times thru an EA 1x12, but not the 1x10. i usually use the WT400/Berg setup for my 4 string stuff. While the EA i use for direct recording/PA for my Azola electric upright. the Berg won out for me cause i am more a 4 string funk guy.

well, if you're gonna use the upright and 6 string, then i say just get whatever iAMP and the 1x12. cause IMHO, using just the combo's single 1x10 isnt gonna do the low B any justice. Some guys say the 1x10 in the combo does the low B well, but i'm a little skeptical, and i'm a big EA proponent. a combo plus extra 1x10 would be a great punchy setup that could easily handle the low B, but you might as well get the 2x10 and the iAMP. as for wattage that's your call, but i dont see how 350 watts wouldnt be enough for jazz. a 2x10 setup would be punchier and great for funk, but i dunno how full range it'd be compared a 1x12. you might lose some low end for the upright. i'm not sure, so someone could chime in...

also, dont worry about not having that "tube" feel or sound with the EA. its still a great sound for what it is. you could run a tube preamp thru the effects loop, but with tone that good, i doubt you'd really need it. Marcus Miller relies on his all solid state EBS head and he sounds like fricken gawd.

and yea, you're right that the WT400 is tube pre / solid state power amp. its a nice mix for a slightly more immediate attack vs. true tube power amps, while the tube pre keeps things nice and warm. but in comparison, sometimes, the tubey-ness of the Eden seems muddy compared to the crystal clear voice of the EA.

If you're in Louisville, isnt Bass World in that city??? that's where i got my Eden WT400 for cheap. i'm not sure if they carry EA, but you can always ask.

try calling up Medley Music in Bryn Mawr, PA. i actually got my iAMP 350 from them for a great price. they have a pretty lenient evaluation policy, so if you dont mind paying some extra freight, give it a go.

also, i kinda wish (ALL HAIL) Bob Gollihur would chime in here, cause he's an EA dealer and would know lots about this stuff. Give him a call too.

btw, "jokerjunky"?? hehe, nice play on my name...
  7. reddavid

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    I'm heading down to Medley this AM to check out the EA and EBS goodies.!

A correction on the Medley Music web site link:

stay tuned...

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Thanks. Feel free to reciprocate. The "Name Game" is stupid fun, but fun nevertheless. Thanks again.

Please post a review when you get back from Medley...I'm all ears! :)

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am starting to play a lot of Jazz on the 6 string and my Double Bass. I use the 6-string for playing chord melodies, and you can comp while playing bass lines. I play a mix of the 2 instruments on Jazz and Funk gigs. They both have different sounds, and different purposes. I have been struggling to find an amp that can compliment both of my basses. I have just bought an Aguilar rig to use when I play strictly electric on a gig(wasn't very cheap!!). I am stongly considering an iAMP combo. They are quite expensive, but they sound unbelievable with both basses. I like how transparent it sounds with the DB, it really allows the natural voice to come through without coloration(I use the Realist on the DB). It is also very clear and articulate sounding with my electric. Handles the B great for a 1x10".

Like jokerjkny said, you would probably be better with the iAMP head(350) and the CXL-112. The 1x12 is amazing! It is full, round, and very articulate. I don't think I would go for the iAMP 750. That's pushing it! The 350 has a lot of power for it's size. Good luck!:)
  10. reddavid

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA

I am looking for a combo with attitude...

The EBS (12") Drome is a very nice combo (compared to the 'mass produced' stuff you see around.) However, for my taste, it was very 'ringy' with all contols flat. B-flat (for some reason) made my ears bleed. I don't think it liked the active electronics in my G&L L-2500. Responds to the slightest adjustment in any control, very touchy there. At 150 watts, i really don't see this being the 'one'. The sound/ring got worse the louder we went, no surprise.

The EA i350 (they had the amp and 10" speaker setup, not "really" the combo, but the 'same'.) Sound was extremely tight and articulate - all the comments already mentioned. It had that 'I could do whatever you asked' sound. Being a 'legit' 350 watt head, it should. The fact that you can get it as a combo is gravy.

I will say that i was impressed (not favorably) with the finish of the EA i350 - the sliders for the tone controls have 'little rubber thingys' on them, two of which came off in my hand when i adjusted them - and no one likes holding little rubber thingys in your hand. Superficial, but for the $$$, you'd like good glue.

Back to the sound, the iAmp has a wonderful selection of sensible tone controls (without the cluttering effects). You could adjust for hours, if that's your thing. I like to audition with everyting set flat, and if I like that sound, I'll have fun experimenting with other sounds later. If I don't like it, why bother trying to compensate using the tone controls...

Low B sounded great for a 10" speaker, kick it into "deep" and it's even better (hope she don't blow!) Isn't that what warrenties are for?!

Conclusion, the i350 amp is definitely a contender. You should give it a try, and let us know what you think (with all your ears). Its got muscle, and a good/great tone for a small (but hefty) package.

I don't know what a "great price" is, but i'll be looking for one?! (Reddavid's rule for pricing - divide list by half, add 20%. Good deal for me, ok profit for seller.) Let me know if you can dial that in!

Hope this helps,

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Im going through the same thing heres what I came up with'

Walter woods ultra high power 800@8ohm 1200@4
    Aguilar 900DI
    2 Bergantino 1x12

Heres why the woods has two imput channels so Ill plug the db into a volume pedal into chanel 1 eq for that.
    Electric into chanel 2 via volume pedal into aguilar DI ( for warmth) and eq for that.

By the way Im selling a aguilar 359 and a eden 212 xlt to help pay for this outragously exspensive rig .

But I believe its the best I can do to cover all my options and not break my back.

Just a thought

12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Ooooo aahhh,

dual Bergantino 1x12's???

(...pant, pant, pant....)
  13. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hey, joker, question about your EA 350. I am looking for something to power my pair of Epifani 112s, and the new EA 750 is a contender.

The question: how much hiss does your EA350 have at idle?

I need something that's dead quiet. One of my gigs is a folk gig where the amp sits on stage doing nothing during acapella songs. I could go the rack/preamp/PA amp route, but am hoping to avoid that. (I am using a GK1001RB now, a good amp with lots of clean power, but also audibly hissy.)
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

dual Epifani 1x12's?? (...pant, pant, pant...)

but seriously, i gotta admit, mine does emit a small small slight amount of hiss, but nothing too bad atll... the only time i can hear it is if i'm playing at night and put on my headphones.

if it really bothers you, then a noise gate might be in order. or just flip it off for the duration of the 4 or 5 minutes of dead air.
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I just found another AMP BH-420 amp a TB'er was selling. It's dead quiet (it's almost spooky how quiet it is at full volume). Sounds great flat, semi-parametric EQ, small, light, powerful. Paired with two very clean used EA VL110's and it's perfect for what you're doing, Chris. Total cost... $900 for the head and two cabs.

I've tried just about everything out here except Bergantinos, Wayne Jones and Accugroove. Considering they're all more than double what I paid and the feedback I've gotten on them, I think I'm done.

My EA cabs sound gorgeous with either of my 5 string fretlesses and they really let the distinct sound come through without serious coloration.

The iAmps I've checked out have been nice. In your shoes I'd probably go for an EA rig. Talk to Bob;)
  16. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    So then, would you be the Emperor? :p

Yes, I see why DB is the Dark Side now... BG is full of DoZe TeEnAgE rEbElZ...

By the way, while we are on the subject, I'm looking for a practice amplifier that isn't crap. I've had my eye on the G-K MB150... I've heard that the EA is better, but it's also heavier than what I'm looking for. Are there any amps similar to the G-K in power, size and weight (and price)?

Thanks for any helpage...
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I use a Clarus now, and will continue to use it for lower volume situations. I also use an ancient polytone minibrute for a practice/teaching studio amp, and I'm happy with it. It all depends on what you want it to do...more specifics?
  19. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I like the GK. its a great little practice amp. its the best in terms of tone/price/size/weight ratio. THe EA's mucho more heavy and expensive and is kinda geared more towards real gigs for jazz or acoustic.

usually, i just plug in my open air headphones into my iAMP 350 while watchin' Tv. doesnt bug the neighbors as badly, and the tone is pretty nice.
  20. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hee hee hee... TRASH_BAGS... that was one of the best ones yet, although none will ever beat FRESH_JIZZ. :p

Basically I want to use it for the same types of things you are: practice, teaching when not at home, small gigs, open stages (I hate going through the PA and then hearing their crummy speakers clip)... maybe even as a monitor at larger gigs. In a nutshell, something that's loud enough to jam with a drummer. The G-K seemed to have that kind of juice...

Portability is another key factor here. Currently my practice amp is a Trace Elliott Boxer 30. It isn't loud enough to use at small gigs and in any case it's too bulky to carry on the bus.:(

Anyway, thanks GRISTLE and POKERJUNKIE for the help!!!